Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovery Partition Has corrupted Windows Files  (Read 254 times)

garyluvseddx3Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Recovery Partition Has corrupted Windows Files
« on: 12-January-19, 05:19:06 »

Hello everyone and good evening.

I wanted to do a clean install of windows through MSI's BurnRecovery tool but it appears that it was corrupted many of windows files and services. I tried to install some programs but some of them will not install, Windows update isn't installing the updates at all and intel hd graphics is crashing a lot. I tried to run sfc /scannow but it can't repair the files in question. The CBS log is too big to upload here but I have it if anyone needs to see it.

I'm totally stumped on this and this is honestly making me lose my patience, so any help that I can get would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and have a great day.

pennknig

• MAJOR
Re: Recovery Partition Has corrupted Windows Files
« Reply #1 on: 12-January-19, 13:13:28 »

I wanted to do a clean install of windows through MSI's BurnRecovery tool but it appears that it was corrupted many of windows files and services.
Windows update isn't installing the updates
intel hd graphics is crashing
sfc /scannow but it can't repair the files in question.

Do a clean install of Windows ..... 10?
By the sounds of it things are really bad.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Try:     DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

DISM wont repair the recovery partition, you will always have corrupt windows image in there and if you use recovery it will Bork the notebook again.
The question you have to sake yourself is 'How' or 'Why' did this happen, is it a mechanical issue with the OS drive or virus/malware problem.

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 12-January-19, 13:36:03 »

If I do a clean install of windows 10, will it get rid of the corrupted partition? I'm also afraid that I might get rid of msi's stock settings as well. I don't have many options here but I am unsure of which path to take.

pennknig

• MAJOR
« Reply #3 on: 12-January-19, 13:45:48 »

If I do a clean install of windows 10, will it get rid of the corrupted partition?
YES ...
Windows recovery partition is corrupt, its useless.
A clean install will put a new recovery partition in.

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 14-January-19, 09:55:50 »

Well, I did a factory reset through Windows, and reinstalled MSI software and their related drivers, and everything seems to be functioning again. Thank you very much for the help.
My pc seems to think its a desktop, and some other features are missing but I am sure that I can fix those issues.
Thanks again.

pennknig

• MAJOR
« Reply #5 on: 14-January-19, 12:12:07 »

Well, I did a factory reset through Windows,
some other features are missing
And you will do the reset again, and again, and ......
Until you do a clean install, you will keep chasing bugs.

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
« Reply #6 on: 14-January-19, 12:49:35 »

... I wanted to do a clean install of windows through MSI's BurnRecovery tool ...

Hi garyluvseddx3,

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you understand what a "clean" install of Windows is. A "clean" install cannot be done with a burn recovery or a factory reset.

A "clean" install of Windows requires a Windows installer from Microsoft. You must obtain it from Microsoft or, if your currently-installed copy of Windows is still working, it can usually be created by Windows on external media (like DVDs or a USB flash drive). The installer will have no MSI drivers or software and no third-party software or adware. A "clean" install is like installing Windows onto a new computer that has never had any operating system on it before. To do a "clean" install on an computer that already has Windows, you need to completely erase the old Windows, including all third-party programs and files. This erasure is usually done to existing Windows installations as part of the "clean" install process.

After the "clean" install is completed, the computer will only have Microsoft Windows on it. So the next step will be to install the MSI drivers and MSI utility software that is needed for the notebook to function fully. You'll need to download the installers for the driver and utilities from the MSI download pages for your model notebook. In the case of Win 10, the MSI versions of the drivers usually needs to be "hidden" so a future Win 10 update won't replace them with newer generic versions that have not been configured for your notebook.

This is what pennknig is talking about.

Burn recoveries and factory resets are ways of restoring the copy of Windows, MSI drivers and adware to your computer so it is like it was when it was new. In the process, all programs, games and data that you've installed or created since you received your notebook will be erased. The problem with a burn recovery or factory reset is that some users don't like the adware and Windows configuration provided by MSI. They prefer do do a "clean" install so they have more control. Plus, it allows them to install components of Windows that may have been omitted by MSI because MSI didn't deem them important. I always do a "clean" install of Windows on every new Windows computer.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 14-January-19, 15:12:20 »

Forgive me, I worded my last reply inappropriately and I didn't mean to say that 'features were missing'. I meant to say that I forgot to install MSI stock applications unto my laptop.
I also now understand that I cannot do a clean install without the OEM software from microsoft. My factory reset from the MSI BurnRecovery feature had messed with the drivers of my computer but it is all fixed now with the Windows factory reset that I had done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up