Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confusing Issue Reguarding MSI OEM Reset  (Read 256 times)

mikesalladeTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Confusing Issue Reguarding MSI OEM Reset
« on: 12-January-19, 18:23:58 »

Hello all, I am in need of some direction. I wish to reset my MSI GV62 8RD200 to original factory settings. I believe a system file had become corrupt about two months ago, which caused me to be stuck in a loop on boot. After an excessive amount of attempts to resolve the boot issue, I had to resort to resetting with a windows 10 disk. Although I'm happy my computer is currently working, I would be very pleased if it were back to factory.

Here are the facts:

1. Since resorting to Windows Reset, I no longer have the F3 recovery option. (It didn't seem to be working for me when I did have it) 
2. After originally setting up my computer upon purchase, I did back up as much as possible. These files are located on an external Seagate SSD. I also created an MSI Windows Repair Disc.
3. When attempting to boot from the MSI Backup SSD, the MSI splash screen appears, and revolving loading dots spin for about a minute before freezing.
4. Safe mode no longer lists Restore to MSI Factory settings as an option. (this also did not work correctly before Windows reset)
5. Safe mode does not list my external SSD back up drive as a device option.

Attached below is a screen shot which includes the contents of: External Seagate SSD- MSI Backup, the MSI Repair Disc, and a view of my systems partitions.

I hope the information I've provided, and the files I have saved, will help to resolve this issue. Maybe its an issue caused by the MSI Backup SSD having reset files and system image files on same SSD? I will gladly provide any additional information needed.

I'm sure someone from this knowledgeable community has the solution.

Thank you very much for your time!

,Mike

pennknig

• MAJOR
Re: Confusing Issue Reguarding MSI OEM Reset
« Reply #1 on: 12-January-19, 22:04:34 »

I just did a clean install, I couldn't be happier for the speed, snappiness and lack of bugs.
Freed up a tone of space on the C drive, I didn't need to buy a 256GB M.2 SSD. The factory 128 was plenty, I'm only 80GB total install for C now.
So, you can have all the crap that fills C or do a clean install and have extra space .... Its up to you.
BUT ... Your factory install of the OS and recovery seems to be borked. And then there is the E partition?! .... What are all the partitions for?
Reload the OS from your recovery, and you will do this again, and again, and ........

Also
Partitions on an SSD are only for organisation, it is considered to be a Logical Partition, as all the information is spread evenly across the chips to do wear leveling.
Partitions on an  HDD are Physical Partitions, that separate the location of data, and aid in organizing your stufff.
All you need are folders on a SSD, not partitions, so you have a C, D and E being SSD 1, 2 and the DVD ROM.

freeyh

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #2 on: 13-January-19, 21:19:42 »

Your laptop is bundled with an SSD and an HDD when you first received right?

According to the screenshot of Disk Management, it seems that you upgrade the disk by yourself?
As I know, the partition is different from the original MSI setting.

The main reason why your F3 factory recovery didn't work is you've damaged the partition of HDD, which the recovery data located.

If you want to do a recovery USB by yourself in the current disk partition. Use the burn recovery to make a recovery SUB will be a better choice.

mikesalladeTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 14-January-19, 09:07:55 »

Thank you both for the replies! (and the forum pointers)

Yes, I believe it came with a SSD and an HDD. I haven't opened nor upgraded any hardware on the computer at all. The amount of partitions looked odd to me as well.. could the original partitions have been partitioned?

How can I fix this in the best possible way? Is there a chance that I'd be able to un-partition and rebuild the discs back to original MSI factory settings as well as reinstall the factory recovery? Losing personal data doesn't mean as much to me as repairing the system as close to factory as possible.

pennknig

• MAJOR
« Reply #4 on: 14-January-19, 13:09:33 »

The amount of partitions looked odd to me as well.
 Is there a chance that I'd be able to un-partition and rebuild the discs back to original MSI factory settings as well as reinstall the factory recovery?
2 Drives is the factory setup, 1x M.2 SSD & 1x 2.5" HDD
Somebody was in the computer and partitioned those drives, its not factory setup
Yes, you can change the partitions back to factory.
If your windows in recovery partition is damaged you will be chasing this every time you do a recovery install.

Download/install Minitool Partition Wizard: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
Take all your stuff from C and D and put it into G ... everything.
From Administrator Account:
> Start MtPW
DISK 0
> Delete D
>Extend C into D, you will end up with just C
>Extend BIOS_RVY into Unallocated Space.
> Confirm Selections
DISK 1
> Extend E into Unalocated Space
> Delete E
> Extend G int E
> Rename G to D
> Confirm Selection

Now you will have 2 disks listed in the Disk Management, Disk 0(C), Disk 1(D).....And the DVD ROM.
At this point you have to decide if doing a clean install is the best thing to recover the ability of resetting from the Bios and F3 function .... Something is still broken.
As I stated, an SSD does not need partitions, just folders. If you want to put files into C (Documents Pictures Video Music) create folders and place them there.
"These files are located on an external Seagate SSD" ... You have an external SSD recovery drive?, I'm not sure why the Disk 2 (G) is named Seagate Backup Plus Drive as its an internal drive ... Do you have another drive? Did you want Disk 1 (Removable) to be your external backup?
If you have any warnings doing the partition extensions, do not proceed, investigate 1st.

mikesalladeTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 14-January-19, 18:26:02 »

Okay, so.. I foolishly took the screen shot in my original post with a USB drive inserted into my computer (former disk 1).. Also, my notebook came with a hybrid drive (Intel Optane 16GB + 1TB (5400RPM).  I've since removed everything that was plugged into my computer: USB drive "disk 1", Seagate External HD NOT SSD "disk 2", and the external disk drive "CD-ROM 0. Attached are the updated disk management, and "this PC" windows.

I'm very sorry for the extra confusion I've caused.

I want to clear things up before I attempt anything.

Thanks again.

pennknig

• MAJOR
« Reply #6 on: 14-January-19, 21:28:27 »

Okay, so.. I foolishly took the screen shot in my original post with a USB drive inserted into my computer (former disk 1).. Also, my notebook came with a hybrid drive (Intel Optane 16GB + 1TB (5400RPM).  I've since removed everything that was plugged into my computer: USB drive "disk 1", Seagate External HD NOT SSD "disk 2", and the external disk drive "CD-ROM 0. Attached are the updated disk management, and "this PC" windows.

You have 1 drive, a 5400rpm spinner with some ram for stuff to load to.....Intel Optane Drive.
This is how its suppose to be set up, 2 partitions, C and D.
C Is quite large, you can shrink it and extend D, you only need 120GB foe C as you can direct W10 to default save to D.
On a spinner, its best to keep C as C only, and as little fragmented as possible, put all your stuff into D.
As this is a sequential shrink and extend, if you choose to do this.

Move all your stuff to D.
Defragment both C and D, not with Windows but with this: https://www.ccleaner.com/defraggler
Using MtPW, shrink C, from right to left (120GB) creating an unallocated space.
Confirm selection.
Extend WinRE tools to the left to occupy the space.
Confirm selection.
Shrink WinRE tools from the right (1GB) to create an unallocated space.
Confirm selection.
Extend D from the left into the unallocated space.
Confirm selection.

This will leave you with a 120GB C partition, and a 787GB B partition.
Defragment both C and D again. You can have Defraggler replace Windows defragmenter as its main defrag tool.

mikesalladeTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 14-January-19, 21:32:44 »

Okay, awesome. I will give that a go when I get the chance. Will update!
Pages: [1]   Go Up