Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bios unstable ?  (Read 585 times)

ProDoctoR1987Topic starter

• SERGEANT
bios unstable ?
« on: 19-January-19, 12:31:30 »

I have a MSI X470 Gaming Pro motherboard with AMD 2600X and 16GB 2933Mhz RAM + GTX 980Ti GPU

This works very good, however I already have had multiple occasions that the computer does not start.

Than I need to reset the bios / remove battery and than it works normal again ?!

The same happens with my other much older MSI computer, it happens rarely ( maybe a few times in 6 months)  but still is this normal ?

I already did bios updates, another issue is than windows behaves weird, mostly the day after. The explorer freezes, when you make a new folder it does not show up,... Than after a few restarts it works normal again.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
Re: bios unstable ?
« Reply #1 on: 19-January-19, 17:09:36 »

Hi

Might be unstable RAM or CPU overclock that from time to time just kicks out an error.
See if CPU and RAM with removed overclock (CPU frequency and voltage = auto, RAM = 2133MHz) will be problematic.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

https://valid.x86.fr/mbld36

• SERGEANT
« Reply #2 on: 19-January-19, 17:42:30 »

I have no OC. No need for it by far, I only consider OC when I need it and even than with this build there is almost no benifite exept for benchmarking wich I do not do.

2933 Mhz is the highest supported frequency for my CPU and natively supported by the motherboard

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 20-January-19, 08:31:43 »

DDR4 itself has a native speed of 2133MHz, hence suggestion.

What's your BIOS version? 
Explorer freezing might relate to Windows or drive issues.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

https://valid.x86.fr/mbld36

• SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 21-January-19, 05:43:47 »

I have bios v16 installed now.

I did a memtest64 run on my system and there does not seem to be anything wrong.

• SERGEANT
« Reply #5 on: 23-January-19, 17:37:47 »

ok, so today my PC acts weird again, now I just found out updates where done. 

Just a minute ago pc becomes unresponsive, yet again when I want to restart it I get the message it's updating. 

When that big update at start of the month was the same thing happens.  Explorer freezes and such,... 

Can these windows updates also cause not even the MB to get past post ?

purplecofe2

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #6 on: 24-January-19, 02:45:19 »

I got also some unresponsive lockup and blue screen and vary reboot failures in other mainboard.
It looks unstable. Graphics acceleration on web browsers may makes problem.

I back to first agesa pinnacle 1.0.0.6 bios.

purplecofe2

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #7 on: 25-January-19, 18:33:44 »

I did test again. Some DRAM configuration may small lower or higher.
I'm using Micron RAM module.
After turn off system in midnight and turn on in morning, system is unstable at first boot.
I changed ProcODT to 60 for testing.
 It may depend on temperature.

user00

• SERGEANT
« Reply #8 on: 26-January-19, 08:57:19 »

It might not be bios, but the drivers in Windows.  I have discovered the Microsoft likes to install their versions of the AMD drivers and then you wind up with a version mismatch.  Depending on how your storage is configured that can also be a bit confusing.
Download the latest version of drivers from and (select the correct one depending on if you have raid, nvme, or just regular sata). Then look in device manager for what version windows is using vs what the AMD version is.  You may have to manually update instead of using the built in installer.
Hopefully that's enough to point you in the right direction.  I had similar issues after a recent Microsoft driver update (even though I have the  update drivers option not selected), and discovered different versions of smbus and the upper/lower storage items.
Hope that helps.

purplecofe2

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #9 on: 26-January-19, 18:04:29 »

It might not be bios, but the drivers in Windows.  I have discovered the Microsoft likes to install their versions of the AMD drivers and then you wind up with a version mismatch.  Depending on how your storage is configured that can also be a bit confusing.
Download the latest version of drivers from and (select the correct one depending on if you have raid, nvme, or just regular sata). Then look in device manager for what version windows is using vs what the AMD version is.  You may have to manually update instead of using the built in installer.
Hopefully that's enough to point you in the right direction.  I had similar issues after a recent Microsoft driver update (even though I have the  update drivers option not selected), and discovered different versions of smbus and the upper/lower storage items.
Hope that helps.

I also think it was driver problem.
Update to chipset driver 1810 version, it is still unstable.

I changed ProcODT to 60 for struggling this problem, it works for me.

• SERGEANT
« Reply #10 on: 27-January-19, 04:35:47 »

I already had this driver installed. It is from september last year. 

I started the setup again and it says I have the driver installed.

Got another boot failure today, pc won't start. Did the bios reset with onboard button but that does not work, after battery removal it works normal again.
I did notice that my mouse was not detected but the keybord was, maybe it's a USB thing ?

Very wonky if you ask me.

user00

• SERGEANT
« Reply #11 on: 29-January-19, 19:05:24 »

Sometimes wonky can mean power issues... Power supply might not be enough?  Maybe you took an electrical surge?  Lots of variables and unless you can swap out each component (or remove all but the non essential- CPU and 1 stick of ram, single hdd, video card) to identify which one is definitely causing problems you may never get to the bottom of it.  Also, there are different versions of windows and then the drivers of your other components.  Can you boot to a Linux iso and take the OS out of the equation?

• SERGEANT
« Reply #12 on: 11-February-19, 17:37:18 »

Well regarding to the pc not to even boot, what have drivers/windows to do with that. That's even before any of those come into play.

I have a 1000W platinum power supply,... I do not even come close to the limit of power.

It's been working nomal since I posted this thread, also contacted MSI but they can not troubleshoot untill it happens again since the MB diagnostic lights should show the problem area,...  No idea what's wrong, only know this is basic and not even driver/OS related, can only be 1 of the components or the MB itself. Since I just migrated some components from a system with no errors, it defecto is down to CPU/RAM or MB/bios.

Did a memtest86 in the meanwhile wich came up clear.

user00

• SERGEANT
« Reply #13 on: 11-February-19, 19:41:03 »

Sorry for the confusion - you started the thread with "windows behaves weird, mostly the day after. The explorer freezes, when you make a new folder it does not show up" and with no other system specs other than the motherboard and RAM - there's no a whole lot to go on - which means it could be anything.  And yes you are correct - you take the OS out of the equation and have the same weird issues happen - then it's a matter of figuring out which component(s) is/are causing the problem. 
For the CPU - there's the possibility you have a bent pin.
For the motherboard - could have gotten a surge and there might be a capacitor broken or a broken trace.
 But if it's been working fine since you posted this thread - then whatever problems you had - appear to have worked themselves out.   If you ever figure it out - please update the thread.  I'd be curious to know.
Cheers!

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 12-February-19, 08:56:39 »

After it happens, go into control panel -> Administrator Tools -> Event Viewer, and see if you have any errors and such listed within any of the Windows Logs -> System, Setup, and Application views.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 1MSI GS73VR-6RFIntel i7 6700HQ16GB DDR4MSI GTX1060 6GB
ServerMSI X370 SLI PlusAMD Ryzen 5 1500X16GB DDR4MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor OC
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB

• SERGEANT
« Reply #15 on: 26-February-19, 07:32:48 »

UPDATE

So after loading the new bios for this MB, the USB 3.1 gen 2 inputs on the I/O panel stopped working. This was even the USB input I used for the bios update,... First I thought it's the USB stick but that worked fine in any other USB input.

I rebooted a few times but still no change, weird enough the next day so after being off for hours the USB inputs worked again ?!

I decided to send this MB/RAM/CPU back to my reseller, since there was no way to identify for 100% what caused this.

Today I called them and they tested the combination and all parts seperatly and nothing at all came up so I'm getting my parts back.

Does anyone have a clue what causes these seemingly random stuff to happen and why does taking out the battery solve the no boot issue with the exact same setup and bios configuration and not even replugging any power cord or reseating any parts(exept GPU because the battery is under it) ?

I would like a in depth explanation of this,...
Pages: [1]   Go Up