Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2080 Ti EK X Unexpected temperature  (Read 299 times)

XTACTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
2080 Ti EK X Unexpected temperature
« on: 23-January-19, 10:57:00 »

I just received my second MSI 2080 Ti EK X full water block GPU.  The first had the peculiar habit of running a consistent +10-15C above the coolant temperature when loaded, then instantly dropping down to the coolant temp when the load ceased (alt+tab to desktop, kill program, etc.).  This is not normal behavior for a full water block.  I am only half surprised the second card behaves the same way. Once again, GPU diode temps go +12C the instant any load is applied.  I am near 50C in Shadow of the Tomb Raider by the time the title screen gets up.  Meanwhile the coolant is still in the mid-20s.  This screams bad contact between the GPU chip and cold plate, but two in row?  The loop is fine and I put my old full water block GPU back on in the interim with GPU diode and coolant stay together within normal margins, idle and load.

I am not all that amused there is a little tube of TIM in a baggie with 4 small hex screws and washers, exactly like for the spring loaded top plate.  I keep having this moment of pause to wonder if MSI would actually sell a "complete" water block $1400 GPU and not bother to actually mount the cold plate to the GPU.  What stops me from seriously considering that is the sticker MSI has placed across those screws reminding you the warranty is void the moment you remove it.  Hopefully it is for a warranty breaking emergency (whatever that would be) but it is not referenced in anyway.  In fact, the directions for this product are strictly generic for any GPU, with only one page visually suggesting you put a cap in the unused intake/outtake port openings.  

Am I missing something here?  Or is the new flagship GPU being press bent down the assembly line without any one actually checking to see if the card is functional?

XTACTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Re: 2080 Ti EK X Unexpected temperature
« Reply #1 on: 29-January-19, 08:44:34 »

There isn't much in the way of reviews for this card, but each one I find has a hardware failure or this same cooling disparity, often much worse than my +15-20C.  Now having taken it apart, the pads are not interfering and the GPU board sits directly on the block mounting posts.  It can't get any closer, but it is still not enough and the TIM reveals this.  You have either a design or manufacturing problem on the 2080 Ti Seahawk EK X.  I don't really appreciate the silence from Technical Support either after initially telling me 50-60C is the norm this full water block model.  This whole thing should be embarrassing for both of the names on this card.

Enzomatik

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 04-February-19, 08:23:20 »

Just had the same situation myself.  Installed the 2080 Ti seahawk ek x and was completely shocked to see load temps of 75c during Heaven, Firestrike and Time Spy.  Card idles at 35c.  Only component in the loop on a 240 xt45 rad from alphacool.  I'm probably going to return the card.  Really unacceptable.

XTACTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 07-February-19, 15:44:04 »

Finally... I feel like I have been talking to walls and losing my mind for three weeks.  I am really worried this is a fatal manufacturing flaw.  The percentage of reviews talking about 50-75C temps is frightful and having looked inside at one, the plate sits right on the posts.  It can't get any closer.  That is a problem.  If you can, I would suggest trying to get a refund.  I am trying to return card #2 to Newegg who are now claiming they will not honor their own purchase warranty on the brand new card.  They are calling this a "manufacturer problem" and I need to deal with MSI directly -- the same people who are telling me these temps are normal for a full water block GPU.  This probably means I am screwed.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 07-February-19, 17:07:44 »

Hi

It's usually OK to replace thermal paste, but best if you indeed ask MSI about it as rules differ on regions. >>How to contact MSI.<<
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

XTACTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 07-February-19, 21:01:40 »

Unfortunately, a simple fix like that isn't going to work and the problem is not too much or too little TIM.  With the plate sitting cleanly directly on the mounting posts, the cold plate does not make good contact with the GPU.  Either the posts are too long or the GPU does not rise high enough, too thin, etc.  It might be possible to lather on such a massive amount of TIM to bridge the gap, but that seems a bit risky and no guarantees on success.  Also, while a bad TIM application might explain one or two funny results, 80% of all the reviews I can find mention the exceedingly high temperatures, even those uninformed enough to think 65C on full water block card is normal.

Enzomatik

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 11-February-19, 08:47:13 »

I returned mine to Newegg.  Really like this card and the looks, and the fact there is a 406w bios for it.  Would literally be perfect for me other than the temp issue.  So you say it's not making good contact?  Have you tried applying more tim?  How did your situation turn out?

I spoke with one guy on overclock.net who has a good card with mid 50's on load (which I find more than reasonable).  Contemplating returning my 2nd card (different manufacturer and trying another seahawk).

XTACTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #7 on: 11-February-19, 19:03:06 »

Oh my...  it's starting to look like I had the alpha prime card out of everyone.  Card 2 I got dialed in enough to keep it at 45-50C under load.  Unfortunately, that is still 15-20C over the coolant temp and my Titan XP.  I have had 5 full water block cards from Nvidia going back over the last 10-12 years.  This is the first one that did not stay with the coolant temperature.  I took one of them apart and expected to find a mislaid thermal pad.  That's usually the deal.  However, all the pads were tucked neatly in place, below the level of GPU, and they clearly are not interfering.  I could hear the water block "click" onto the four mounting posts.  It's on.  3 of my 4 mounting screws were about 1/4 turn loose when I first got it.  I was sure that was it.  It was not.  All I have is theories, but it seems like the GPU was not as thick as expected or the posts came out too long.  I am open to other explanations (something different about Turning GPUs, block design, etc.), but really nothing except bad contact can explain the range of temperatures from 45-75C across all of these specimens.  

Wow, if Newegg gave you your money, take it and run -- even if you plan to try again with the EK X.  Buy it from someone else.  After taking the first one back, Newegg is messing with me on the second.  The have rejected my RMA for completely and utterly false reasons (they claim I removed the serial numbers - all of them), but refused to back up their claim when I protested.  Another rep told me it was a "manufacturer problem"  and they would not deal with it and are refusing communication.  I am still waiting for it to return to me, half worried some warehouse clown removed the stickers to effect the end result they wanted.  That would be a serious problem.  No one is going to take an RMA with missing serial numbers.  I have no way out at this point and would be probably accept the card as is, however it was starting to crash with a hardware error and that is why I sent it in for RMA to Newegg.  At this point, I have to hope the card is intact having survived four 3000 miles cross country treks in a cold truck and it can survive two more - to MSI and back.

Does the default VBIOS have a 400W limit?  Or is that a different version?  And here I thought the extra PCI-E cable was for all the pretty lights.  They really have something on the appearance.  It is better than any of the aftermarket water blocks by far, but this temp issue is pretty serious.  If you are running 50C+, you most certainly are going to wind up with the same clocks as the air cooled folks.  What's the point then?
Pages: [1]   Go Up