Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nightblade X2-021EU random freezes after Intel ME 11.0.10.1002 Update  (Read 500 times)

god.strong-foraTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hey,

I decided a week ago to upgrade my X2-021EU from its 6700k to a 7700k (I didn't do it yet). I hence went on the support website to check for BIOSes and firmware, and downloaded then flashed the following firmware : https://www.msi.com/Desktop/support/Nightblade-X2#down-firmware (Intel ME 11.0.10.1002) which states that it offers compatibility with Skylake Refresh.

Since then, I have random Freeze in Windows 10. I reinstalled the MSI Windows delivered with the computer (I used the MSI media creation tool to make a flash drive back in 2016) : same problem.
Same problem also with a fresh install of Windows 10 Creator edition (which also hangs at 43% of the update toward the Creator edition, systematically)
Same problem also with a fresh install of Windows 7 x86 Ultimate (I can install every driver with the help of a PS2 keyboard)
Same problem also with updating BIOS to A20 or 500 versions, and reseting BIOS parameters.
Same problem also with flashing the Intel ME Firmware 11.8.50.3399 present on the MSI Intel ME Critical FW Update installer (signed by Micro Star Interntional, Sha-1 : 5750F31E4BEF741BB781F53038608B2D71759D8 1)
Same problem also with flashing the last ME Firmware for the 100 series (11.8.60.3561)
Same problem also with disabling Intel ME drivers in the hardware manager of Windows, or without installing this driver at all under Windows 7.
So basically I am stuck, tried everything humanly possible to fix this by myself without bothering the MSI teams, and I need help to fix this problem, initially caused by the firmware update present on the MSI Website. I guess it's a matter of BIOS compatibility, and I'm respectfully requesting a compatible BIOS with the Intel last firmwares addressing the security issues encountered by the Skylake platform.

As a final note, I would like to express my frustration. The lack of access to conventionnal motherboards parameters on the X2-021EU is already an issue for me : yes, this system is a complete one, but it is also a system for enthusiasts : Usual customers of MSI pay 100 to 250 euros to have an unlocked motherboard suitable for all their needs, my X2 was worth 2,000 euros when I bought it and I was disappointed to not have the same : fine tuning such a system would be expected for this pricetag. But then, the lack of updates for the ME firmware is another kind of issue, threatening the whole viability of this otherwise very fine computer minis the aformentionned problem, and... despite the official MSI policy about it stated there : https://www.msi.com/news/detail/ceb9f6b8ffa77c49b6b4570ea19c76bf

Yang

• AIO Moderator

This system is full system for shipping.
BIOS is also update for support  7 gen CPU.
If update BIOS for 7 gen CPU, will be lost key of windows 10 OS.
You must be buy key of windows 10 OS again from Microsoft.
So just suggest not flashing BIOS for support 7 gen CPU.

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello Yang, and thank you for answering me.

The Windows 10 key is not an issue, I already bought a Windows 10 pro key on ebay for 5 euros, and can buy another one if necessary.
Then, the Intel ME Update offered here ( https://www.msi.com/Desktop/support/Nightblade-X2#down-firmware ) is an official update offered to the X2 owner which brings Skylake Refresh compatibility in order for them to upgrade their system if they wish so. I used it in good faith, and now my system is crashing. I'm asking MSI to fix that situation, and I am not the only one who complains about the lack of support for the MSI Nightblade X2.
This PC is a premium computer, costs 2,000 euros, and buyers of 100 euros MSI motherboards get better care from MSI with unlocked BIOS, working updates both for BIOS and ME firmware, while we X2 owners get nothing but disappointements and problems.
That is unacceptable, as is even more unacceptable the fact that MSI provides buggy updates that cannot even be reverted because the original firmware is not offered to be downloaded.

As for the fact that the Nightblade X2 is sold as a complete system, that is absolutely not the point, and a very loosy excuse from MSI to not do its job. I paid my computer, I have the right to get updates and fixes when necessary, and to not be led into harm's way by buggy updates provided by MSI itself. Advising me to not flash computer when I already did it with this MSI update is not really useful to me as well, Yang, I guess you can agree with that.
I like my Nightblade X2, and I wish to keep it, but if MSI doesn't provide me either an updated BIOS, either at least a possibility to revert back the ME firmware or anything that will fix that BIOS-ME buggy combinaison, I'm gonna contact MSI France to get help, and if nothing is done, ask to be refunded because MSI provided a buggy update on its support website, and be done with MSI products afterwards.

Edit : Additionally, look at this Yang :
https://www.msi.com/Desktop/support/Nightblade-X2#down-driver&Win%2010%2064%20Kabylake
So of course Kaby-Lake upgade is supported, and even promoted by MSI as a feature on the Nightblade X2...

Yang

• AIO Moderator

If you can, please provide some information as below to us for this system you used:
1. Serial number on the back cover and on the box.
It is SOP how to check it as below link:
http://www.msi.com/page/warranty
2. The number:9S6-xxxx-xxx that you can find it on the box.
This information is avoid incorrect BIOS version.

Then will provide BIOS you requested.

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello Yang, and thank you for brigging hope back !
Here are the informations you requested :

9S6-B10611-021
SN : MSB106FBS0103781

And additional ones :

Current BIOS : EB106IMS.500 (I flashed it over the A20 in capsule mode, in the hope that this more recent BIOS fixed my issue).
Current Intel ME Firmware : 11.8.60.3561

Yang

• AIO Moderator

god.strong-fora

Please check your e-mail.

• PRIVATE E-2

Thank you very much Yang ! I'm gonna flash that this weekend and report.
Pages: [1]   Go Up