Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad memory modules or motherboard??  (Read 3174 times)

fenix03

Bad memory modules or motherboard??
« on: 22-October-03, 02:30:47 »

I rearranged the cables in my case and now I'm not able to boot using dual channel memory configuration. It worked before just fine!
I've got two 512MB twinmos twister pc3500 modules.

D-bracket indicates bad memory module if I try to setup dual channel using dimm 1 and dimm 3. I've tried other dual channel combinations with the same result.

I can only boot using dimm 1! using the other slots get me the bad memory module status on the d-bracket. I've tested both mem modules in slot 1 and I am able to boot so it seems the mem modules are OK. Or are they OK for just single channel config?

Do I have a faulty motherboard or are the memory modules bad?

--
MSI 865PE neo2 fisr rev 1.00
2x512MB twinmos twister pc3500

Wonkanoby

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 22-October-03, 02:37:34 »
  • Best Answer

• raise the vdimm to 2.7v and then add the second see what happens
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    4GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850

fenix03

RE: Bad memory modules or motherboard??
    « Reply #2 on: 22-October-03, 03:09:19 »

Does that really help? The d-bracket says that the memory module is bad. Would raising the vdimm really help? It worked before when it was set to 2.65v.

fenix03

(No subject)
    « Reply #3 on: 22-October-03, 05:21:02 »

OK, I've tried that but it still does not boot, same d-bracket leds are lightning up.
    The mem module in dimm 3 also gets very warm while the mem module in dimm 1 is cool. Is that normal?

ben2000

(No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 22-October-03, 09:11:49 »

:idea:i think you should remove the memory, reinsert properly and try
    again.
    if that dont work,with the d-led, i think you twinmos mem got some problem.

XytheX

(No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 22-October-03, 09:19:57 »

Possible static issue when you were rearranging your cables? try disconnecting everything but your video card, ram, cpu and booting. I would say that if each of your modules works by itself its not your memory but more likely your board.

stang36

• CORPORAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 22-October-03, 09:29:03 »
  • Best Answer

• I had the same problem, but mine was generic Infineon chip'd 2 x 512 PC3200(400Mhz) sticks. I reduced the Frequency to 333Mhz, and it posted. But still will not post at 400Mhz, or Auto. I tried everything, banks 2 & 4, Vdimm up, Vdimm down, CPU Voltage up. I figure it's Bad Memory, so I ordered OCZ PC3500 Matched sticks. I haven't received them yet, will post when I get them!
         I hope this helps!
    865PE NEO2-PLS
    P4 3.0E(Prescott) 800FSB HT 1024Mb L2
    OCZ Dual Channel Gold PC-4000(500Mhz) (2.5, 4, 4, 7, 8, @2.8v)2 X 256mb Kit
    MSI FX5700-VTD256
    Enermax 465W PS
    Win XP Home
    Seagate Barracuda 80G S-ATA HDD
    [/B]

Maesus

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • in Penang, Malaysia
    (No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 22-October-03, 10:09:32 »
  • Best Answer

• Your DIMM doesn't work because of low DDR voltage supplied to it. That's why BIOS thinks the RAM is bad! That's why upping DDR voltage to at least 2.7V is needed in support for DDR400 and above.
    Please read the ==>MOAN Guide<==
    Maesus

My PC:
    Now using : IBM Thinkpad T60p

Core 2 Duo recipe
    E6600 2.66Ghz with GB Rocket Cooler Pro : MSI 975X Platinum PUE BIOS 7.6 : DDR2-667 2x1GB + DDR2-800 2x1GB : MSI 8800 Ultra : 80GB WD Caviar SE : Maxtor 250GB SATA : LiteOn LH-20A1S DVD writer + Samsung SH-W162C DVD writer : MSI Theater 550 Pro : LOGITECH Z-680 : DELL E228WFP 22" LCD : PowerLogic 500W PSU with +12V1&+12V2 @ 32A total

fenix03

(No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 22-October-03, 10:56:29 »

OK. I'll try it again with 2.7v but I've been running a couple of weeks with 2.65 and it has worked great... strange that it would need 2.7v suddenly.

Originally posted by Maesus
    Your DIMM doesn't work because of low DDR voltage supplied to it. That's why BIOS thinks the RAM is bad! That's why upping DDR voltage to at least 2.7V is needed in support for DDR400 and above.

fenix03

(No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 22-October-03, 11:36:59 »

Alright, I give up. I'm going to RMA this board...  Thanks for all the replies.
    I can run this sucker in single channel mode and only in dimm slot 1. All other slots results in bad memory.

I've tried different combinations of dimm slots and vdimm voltage but with the same results.

I was really pleased with this board having switched over from AMD and that it had DOT but now I'm reluctant to using DOT/general + ulta-turbo anymore.

Anyone who knows/thinks that DOT/General + ultra-turbo can destroy the motherboard? I'm not going to run in that mode I guess anymore...

nickursis

Memories..
    « Reply #10 on: 22-October-03, 12:09:55 »

I would suggest you recheck all your cables, make sure everything is in place securely. Then boot up in 1 channel mode. The set your bios back to load default settings, save and exit. Shutdown. Insert second module, and start up. I set my 2 Elixer CL3 (yes CL3) modules (512mb each), in slots 1/3 and have done nothing, and it runs at 2.65vdimm. It may be a setting you made in the bios at some point that has you screwed.

C0NAN

(No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 23-October-03, 04:33:21 »

Before you return your Motherboard I suggest running memtest and checking your memory sticks individually. If you have a faulty module why would return the motherboard?

http://www.memtest86.com/

By the way I've heard complaints about Twister, how the heatsinks prevent them from being fully seated.

stestan

(No subject)
    « Reply #12 on: 23-October-03, 12:32:45 »

Make sure all memory stix are inserted proper i had the same prob i had caught 1 with a wire and it moved so just check ;-))

matd

• SERGEANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #13 on: 23-October-03, 15:26:38 »
  • Best Answer

• Christ! what is it with these MSI boards?

The 2 848P's i tried both worked fine with a single 512mb strip in, but put another in and the D Bracket Light 2 stays and the PC fails to boot or reboot properly - it's totally hit n miss.

See my thread for the unbelievable amount of problems i've had with the 848P! :

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_service/forum/index.php?threadid=31192&sid=

I'm RMA'ing both 848P's as i've tried everything, now even the forum moderators say rma the boards so i know its nothing trivial happening here... They're even going to get MSI to look at my thread - so hopefully they will take notice!  o_0

Am i to take it that the 865 also has similar problems, ffs!

Is there a stable MSI mobo available that will take 2 DDR's sticks or not?  :wall:

vango44

(No subject)
    « Reply #14 on: 23-October-03, 15:48:36 »

If you moved your cables around before the problem I  would do what nickursis suggested including re-loading the defaults. Also, make sure that spread spectrum is enabled. You might be getting interference from the cables you moved.
    Pages: [1]   Go Up