Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stealth Pro GS65 8rf - Disable Intel GPU  (Read 76 times)

bhadar73Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Stealth Pro GS65 8rf - Disable Intel GPU
« on: 08-February-19, 21:41:20 »

I've tried the nvidia control panel and cannot change the default graphics card; I do not want to use the Intel GPU at all. I don't care about battery life, I would just like to use the nvidia 1070 that's in the system. There's nothing in the BIOS to disable or set preferred GPU. I've tried disabling the Intel GPU in Windows and ended up with VGA graphics.

I've tried setting the preferred GPU to nvidia on everything. Is there a way to set it for Windows in general?

I've worked hours on this thing and I'm getting frustrated. If not, anybody want to buy a laptop, including the original box, that's maybe 40 days old and used a total of 20 hours? I'm getting sick of this laptop already.

masonyang

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
Re: Stealth Pro GS65 8rf - Disable Intel GPU
« Reply #1 on: 10-February-19, 20:45:59 »

Try TrayPwrD3 tool.
https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3

Keeps dGPU on but idle until needed. 

david

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
« Reply #2 on: 11-February-19, 12:17:35 »

I've tried the nvidia control panel and cannot change the default graphics card; I do not want to use the Intel GPU at all. I don't care about battery life, I would just like to use the nvidia 1070 that's in the system. There's nothing in the BIOS to disable or set preferred GPU. I've tried disabling the Intel GPU in Windows and ended up with VGA graphics.

I've tried setting the preferred GPU to nvidia on everything. Is there a way to set it for Windows in general?

I've worked hours on this thing and I'm getting frustrated. If not, anybody want to buy a laptop, including the original box, that's maybe 40 days old and used a total of 20 hours? I'm getting sick of this laptop already.

Hi bhadar73,

Welcome to the "fun" world of NVidia Optimus! Most notebook computers with both an Intel iGPU and an NVidia dGPU gave up absolute user control many years ago. For notebooks like yours, there is no way to lock down the GPU selection. The Intel iGPU will always be running even when it is not doing the heavy lifting of graphics processing because it serves as the full-time display driver. And NVidia Optimus decides which GPU to use for the graphics processing. For some notebook models, the iGPU may always be selected when you are running on battery alone. For others, it may be selected but with reduced performance settings. All the user can do is tell NVidia Optimus which GPU you "want" for each application or game using the 3D settings in the NVidia Control Panel. But NVidia Optimus can override your choice anytime it deems appropriate. Therefore, if you want to use your NVidia dGPU, connect your notebook to AC power.

In my opinion, this is a terrible system and I would never willingly purchase a notebook that uses NVidia Optimus. However, the trick suggested by masonyang (using the TrayPwrD3 tool) can fool the system into staying with the dGPU for graphics processing. But, because the iGPU is still needed, it will be running, too.

There are two groups of MSI gaming notebook that can get around this problem by design because NVidia Optimus cannot work with them. I'll mention them here for the sake of other readers who may not yet have decided which model notebook to buy.

SLI-compatible notebooks
Some of the top-of-the-line MSI gaming notebooks in the GT-series are designed to support two dGPUs in SLI. Even if the GT model doesn't ship with two dGPUs, if its motherboard is designed for two in SLI, then it will still do what I'm about to describe. Fortunately for us control freaks, NVidia Optimus is not compatible with SLI so MSI had to design these notebooks using an "old school" hardware switch. That's why they have a "GPU" button. Using the "GPU" button of a GT-series notebook you manually switch between the Intel iGPU and the NVidia dGPU(s). And the switch always requires a reboot. When you do this, the deselected GPU is removed from the system---it won't even appear in the Windows Device Manager. And the Intel iGPU does not serve as the full-time display driver---each GPU system handles that on its own. These are the only MSI gaming notebook models that give you absolute control over which GPU system is running.

G-Sync notebooks
In the past, NVidia G-Sync was not compatible with an Intel iGPU. I don't know if this is still the case. But in the past, if you purchased an MSI gaming notebook with an internal G-Sync LCD panel, the notebook would be locked onto the NVidia dGPU and the Intel iGPU would be disabled. And as far as I'm aware, there was no way for the user to ever use the Intel iGPU in these models.

My GT80 2QE Titan is one of the SLI-compatible models described in the first group. I keep mine locked full-time on its twin NVidia GTX 980m dGPUs in SLI.

As for a BIOS setting for the GPU, that went way long ago. None of the MSI gaming notebooks allow you to switch the GPU from the BIOS---not even GT-series models.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

bhadar73Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 12-February-19, 09:35:54 »

Thank you, both, I appreciate the answers.

I wish I would have known this before purchasing, I read the reviews online and people had wonderful things to say about this laptop. All that power just sitting there and not being able to use it is frustrating; but, this sounds more like an nVidia Optimus problem than an MSI, technically speaking. This is the first time in years that I've purposefully bought an Intel machine (I usually use AMD), and it bites me in the backend.

MSI should really not advertise this is a gaming laptop; at least, I've not been able to get the advanced GPU to work on the one game I want to play.

I've been reading up on this and have found posts suggest that the light near the power button changes. Is there any information online about what that light means?

EDIT:

I guess it is MSI's problem, according to this post on the GeForce forums:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1080586/geforce-mobile-gpus/1060-max-q/

I don't know how authoritative that post is, but it makes sense. Is there a way to send feedback to MSI? Will they listen? Or, is it the old "Vote with your wallet" feedback?
Pages: [1]   Go Up