Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GE73 - i7 8750H getting HOT in game !!!  (Read 331 times)

MorakCHTopic starter

• CORPORAL
GE73 - i7 8750H getting HOT in game !!!
« on: 10-February-19, 06:32:42 »

Hi there.

I just monitored my laptop temp and saw that my cpu is getting too much hot !

Playing in Apex Legends (that's not optimized at all and have to put all options to low... with 1070...), I got 95°C !!! Why the fan is not turning more to cool it down ? Had to click on the 100% speed fan ^^

Do you guys play with MSI Dragon Center ? I uninstalled it long time ago when I saw it was making my comp crazy.

RaiderGamer

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
Re: GE73 - i7 8750H getting HOT in game !!!
« Reply #1 on: 10-February-19, 19:51:54 »

-get compressed air and turn laptop off and blow it into the exhaust ports
-take machine apart and redo thermal paste
-buy laptop cooler for underneath
-buy usb fan to blow on laptop
-wait for more game updates
-reinstall windows clean

pennknig

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #2 on: 10-February-19, 21:48:47 »

I got 95°C !!! Why the fan is not turning more to cool it down ? Had to click on the 100% speed fan ^^
1) Turn down your Maximum Processor State to 95-99%. This will prevent Turbo Mode from running at 100% causing so much heat. I'm at 95 and never have heat or performance problems.

2) Dragon Center reverts to the Auto setting after running Cooler Boost. Auto is not performance based and allows your notebook to heat up too much. I recommend you go into DC, select ADVANCE, create a more aggressive fan ramp profile a for the CPU and GPU. SAVE. And remember, after using Cooler Boost, you have to back into DC and reselect Advanced mode.

The 73 and 75 are similar, you will have to create your own fan ramp speed profile to your liking.
Noise, is greater if your notebook has a wall behind it, compared to an open room.
This will effect your decision as to how fast and how loud your notebook is.
I use headphones, so its not a problem for me when my GT75 sounds like a shop vac.

Also, I leave my notebook on High Performance all the time, on battery the CPU is set to 50% to save power and other setting I have adjusted accordingly when the AC power is removed.

rreg2839

• SERGEANT
« Reply #3 on: 11-February-19, 01:58:53 »

"If" this only happens when you're playing this game. It'd probably be the problem of that game.
I highly doubt that this game isn't well optimized. Since it has been launched only for one week.
If I were you, I'd wait for the latest version of the update.

BTW, this post makes me interested in this game...

MorakCHTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #4 on: 11-February-19, 02:07:08 »

-get compressed air and turn laptop off and blow it into the exhaust ports I'll do that but it is almost brand new (few months)
-take machine apart and redo thermal paste If people has to do this with +1600€, it's not good for manufacturer reputation
-buy laptop cooler for underneath Have one but not using it ^^
-buy usb fan to blow on laptop
-wait for more game updates 
-reinstall windows clean Already done ;)
1) Turn down your Maximum Processor State to 95-99%. This will prevent Turbo Mode from running at 100% causing so much heat. I'm at 95 and never have heat or performance problems. [ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ] 2) Dragon Center reverts to the Auto setting after running Cooler Boost. Auto is not performance based and allows your notebook to heat up too much. I recommend you go into DC, select ADVANCE, create a more aggressive fan ramp profile a for the CPU and GPU. SAVE. And remember, after using Cooler Boost, you have to back into DC and reselect Advanced mode. [ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ] The 73 and 75 are similar, you will have to create your own fan ramp speed profile to your liking. Noise, is greater if your notebook has a wall behind it, compared to an open room. This will effect your decision as to how fast and how loud your notebook is. I use headphones, so its not a problem for me when my GT75 sounds like a shop vac. Also, I leave my notebook on High Performance all the time, on battery the CPU is set to 50% to save power and other setting I have adjusted accordingly when the AC power is removed.

Thanks for the 95% cpu state, will try that see if any improvments.

So you do advise me to install DC ?

frank.tf.tsai

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 11-February-19, 02:54:05 »

The first comment offers some solid methods. Also, allow some time for the developers to work out the game's kinks.

pennknig

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #6 on: 11-February-19, 17:01:45 »

Thanks for the 95% cpu state, will try that see if any improvements. 

So you do advise me to install DC ?
YES, otherwise you won't be able to control the fan speed.

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #7 on: 12-February-19, 03:04:15 »

Hi there.

Using low settings in game will result in gpu not bottlenecking the system, which in turn results in max cpu usage. Using low settings in any game will max out your cpu temps as long as the game is capable of it. Anyway, I highly recommend undervolting your cpu - it can lower the temps by 10 degrees or more. You can start by getting XTU (intel extreme tuning utility) and adding an undervolt of -100mV (0.1V). That should be a good start. Then run a stress test on the cpu to ensure it is stable. At that point you might decide your temps are acceptable and not mess with it anymore OR start lowering it further by the lowest amount possible at a time, repeating stress tests in between and keep going until you BSOD. Remember at which point that happened and tone the undervolt back by 2 of the smallest steps. That will be your sweet spot, but to make sure stress test the cpu for at least 20 mins at this point (unless it is still reaching 90C, then you should not be stress testing but I assume that won't be the case anymore).
When you are happy with your undervolt, make it back to stock (important). Then download throttlestop, apply the undervolt there and test for stability again (also important as at this point we will be making the changes permanent). Then, make throttlestop start up with windows and apply settings at each start. XTU cannot do that unfortunately, hence the change of program. But it is also important that the undervolt being applied with throttlestop is a stable one, because it might prevent you from booting into windows if it were not. If you still encounter any stability issues at any point, lower the undervolt a bit more.

Why undervolt? Cause intel and msi both apply voltage boost when under load to ensure stability for ALL chips (so they can sell all the crap they make for max profits), unfortunately when both are combined this leads to unnecessarily high voltage for majority of the processors sold, increasing the heat produced and making laptop users very unhappy. Unless you are the most unlucky person on earth, undervolting is the way to go.

PS. I can't guarantee the safety of your laptop if you decide to keep lowering the undervolt until BSOD. Do this at your own risk.
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
                          MSI GT72VR 6RE (i7-6820HK, gtx1070), MSI GT75 8RG (i7-8750H, gtx 1080)
Current desktop:  i7-8700k, evga 1080ti ftw3, Asus Z370 prime-a, 2x8GB Corsair RAM @3000MHz, Fractal Design Define r6 TG white, Noctua NH-D15
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy gaming to all!

MorakCHTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #8 on: 12-February-19, 11:47:06 »

1) Turn down your Maximum Processor State to 95-99%. This will prevent Turbo Mode from running at 100% causing so much heat. I'm at 95 and never have heat or performance problems.
[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]
2) Dragon Center reverts to the Auto setting after running Cooler Boost. Auto is not performance based and allows your notebook to heat up too much. I recommend you go into DC, select ADVANCE, create a more aggressive fan ramp profile a for the CPU and GPU. SAVE. And remember, after using Cooler Boost, you have to back into DC and reselect Advanced mode.
[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]
The 73 and 75 are similar, you will have to create your own fan ramp speed profile to your liking.
Noise, is greater if your notebook has a wall behind it, compared to an open room.
This will effect your decision as to how fast and how loud your notebook is.
I use headphones, so its not a problem for me when my GT75 sounds like a shop vac.

Also, I leave my notebook on High Performance all the time, on battery the CPU is set to 50% to save power and other setting I have adjusted accordingly when the AC power is removed.

I tried with those settings and I'm getting 50° now :) 
And maybe they fixed some things too in this game ^^

Thank you anyway :)

pennknig

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #9 on: 13-February-19, 18:29:19 »

I tried with those settings and I'm getting 50° now :)
Thank you anyway :)
You are welcome....;D
Maybe, some of the people here that automatically jump on the XTU under-volt bandwagon, will realize a STABLE system is better, and MS gives you really simple tools to accomplish this cooling effect. You just need to use more grey power and have better experience/maturity to rationalize this process.

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #10 on: 13-February-19, 18:33:36 »

You are welcome....;D
Maybe, some of the people here that automatically jump on the XTU under-volt bandwagon, will realize a STABLE system is better, and MS gives you really simple tools to accomplish this cooling effect. You just need to use more grey power and have better experience/maturity to rationalize this process.
Undervolted cpu if done well is totally stable. On the other hand, your "settings" totally cripple cpu performance especially with 8750H. If you don't need it, good for you as that makes it easier. I on the other hand want the performance I pay for ^^. After all, especially the 8750H needs the turbo boost as without it it runs at 2.2GHz or less. No thanks. Also, no wonder the temps are so low at this speed hahahaha it's like going back 10 years!
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
Current desktop:  i7-8700k, evga 1080ti ftw3, Asus Z370 prime-a, 2x8GB Corsair RAM @3000MHz, Fractal Design Define r6 TG white, Noctua NH-D15
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy gaming to all!

MorakCHTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #11 on: 14-February-19, 05:22:36 »

Undervolted cpu if done well is totally stable. On the other hand, your "settings" totally cripple cpu performance especially with 8750H. If you don't need it, good for you as that makes it easier. I on the other hand want the performance I pay for ^^. After all, especially the 8750H needs the turbo boost as without it it runs at 2.2GHz or less. No thanks. Also, no wonder the temps are so low at this speed hahahaha it's like going back 10 years!

Oh, I just understood a big thing... By putting 95% on power settings max CPU freq, with forbid the cpu to go 100% and then activate the turbo boost to 4.1Ghz ?! So the cpu is stuck at max 2.1Ghz ? ARRFFF no wonder the temp is better this way Oo

edit : omg indeed, I put back to 100% cpu freq, and I got 4Ghz oufff As you said Amaella, I'll keep that this way, because indeed we're going back 10 years without turbo boost ^^
I'll check temp now.

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #12 on: 14-February-19, 09:46:39 »

Oh, I just understood a big thing... By putting 95% on power settings max CPU freq, with forbid the cpu to go 100% and then activate the turbo boost to 4.1Ghz ?! So the cpu is stuck at max 2.1Ghz ? ARRFFF no wonder the temp is better this way Oo

edit : omg indeed, I put back to 100% cpu freq, and I got 4Ghz oufff As you said Amaella, I'll keep that this way, because indeed we're going back 10 years without turbo boost ^^
I'll check temp now.
If the other poster thought I did not know about the power settings he was wrong haha, I used the 98% limit on my asus k55vj which I bought back in 2013, simply because it had only 1 heatpipe and 1 fan design while trying to have an nvidia gt635m... oh that was one hell of a heater and throttler when both cpu and gpu were used at the same time. Sadly by the time I got to gaming it was out of warranty and repasting did not help in that case. BUT that laptop was not meant to be for gaming at all. So yeah, reducing the clock helped before I decided to finally give up and get myself something more worthy. And yeah, I undervolted both the cpu and gpu on my gt75 8rg and was happy with it that way, before I decided to get a PC. Now I have this beasty thing that I can barely lift next to me, covered in RGB and stuff. It has its own quirks, but every piece of hardware does...

MorakCHTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #13 on: 16-February-19, 10:08:57 »

If the other poster thought I did not know about the power settings he was wrong haha, I used the 98% limit on my asus k55vj which I bought back in 2013, simply because it had only 1 heatpipe and 1 fan design while trying to have an nvidia gt635m... oh that was one hell of a heater and throttler when both cpu and gpu were used at the same time. Sadly by the time I got to gaming it was out of warranty and repasting did not help in that case. BUT that laptop was not meant to be for gaming at all. So yeah, reducing the clock helped before I decided to finally give up and get myself something more worthy. And yeah, I undervolted both the cpu and gpu on my gt75 8rg and was happy with it that way, before I decided to get a PC. Now I have this beasty thing that I can barely lift next to me, covered in RGB and stuff. It has its own quirks, but every piece of hardware does...

I do have a desktop computer. These are the best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up