Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Build with MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon won't post (White LED CPU Debugg  (Read 410 times)

shinobi1369Topic starter

• CORPORAL

Hopefully someone here can help.

Full new Build:
Case: Corsair 570X
CPU: i9 9900K
Mobo: Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro
Ram: G. Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 (16GTZR) - x2 8GB
VGA: MSI RTX 2080 Duke
Cooling: Cooler Master LC240E AIO
M.2: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
SSD: Seagate Barcuda 7200rpm 3TB
PSU: Evga Supernova 750w G2
Wired RGB Keyboard and Mouse
Monitor: Asus 28" 1ms 4k monitor

I got everything installed and double checked.  This wasn't my first build BTW.  Hit the power button on the case, the mobo LEDs light up, the water block (and radiator fans) light and spin up, the case fans light up and spin up and the ram is recognized.  This all takes place in a second.  Then the system immediately turns off and restarts within a couple seconds and continues like this until I kill the power to the PSU.  Nothing displays on the monitor either.  I also notice the ez debegg light (white) is on.  Checking the manual, it is for the CPU.  "Not recognized or failed" 

So i tear everything down, clean off the thermal paste from CPU and water block, reapply, get it all together and double checked.  Same result as above.

I take the mobo out of the case and set it on my wooden table and hook up power, cpu, one stick of RAM (yes moved it to all the dimm slots), I leave the video card in and also tried this with it out.  Still no joy.

I have cleared the BIOS via removing the battery and also from the header.  Still no joy.

I checked the stand off post on the case.  They are good.  The board is not shorting out on the case.  I checked the water cooler back plate to hold the water block on the back of the mobo.  It is plastic and not touching any metal.  No short there.

I check the cpu pins on the chip and also on the socket on the mobo.  No damaged, discolored or bent pins.

I jump on the interwebz and search youtube and various forms and google.  Seems this is kind of a common problem, but all the solutions I found did not work.  I even tried shorting the SW power jumper like MSI recommends as well as clearing the BIOS.  Still no joy.  I have submitted a trouble ticket today and hope to hear back from MSI tomorrow.  In the mean time, if any of you have experienced this and figured it out, please help.  Sucks to have three grand of a new build sitting here and it won't even post.

I really hope it isn't the processor as I have never had one go bad over the years.  Mobos yes, but never a processor.  Either way it does't matter, I just want this to work. What do you all think?  Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR

Hi,

Please check that the CPU socket has no bent pins.
Try using another CPU on this motherboard, if possible.

shinobi1369Topic starter

• CORPORAL

Hi,

Please check that the CPU socket has no bent pins.
Try using another CPU on this motherboard, if possible.

Yes, I checked the CPU and socket.  Clean, no bent pins and no discoloration.  Not possible to try another CPU at this time.  My old build doesn't support this new build.  Been on a laptop for the past few years.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR

Hi,

Have you got another PSU to try?
Also, please make sure there is not too much pressure on the CPU.
You have done enough troubleshooting for the system.
Most likely, either the CPU or MB is faulty.
Unfortunately, shxt happens, you know.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
I think also your problem is related to PSU!
1/ Have you connected CPU_PWR2?
2/ Build a minimal configuration: only CPU + Thermal Paste + CPU-Cooler (connected to the mobo's header) + Only 1 RAM stick in DIMMA2 (2nd DIMM slot from CPU) PSU firmly connected to CPU_PWR1, CPU_PWR2 and ATX_PWR1 (using only cables furnished with the PSU) + Keyboard/Mouse + Monitor (NOT a TV) connected to one mobo's video ports (use the CPU's built'in GPU), nothing else. Do a clear CMOS:
  . Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
  . Either
      . short JBAT1 during at least 20s
        (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or
      . remove the battery cell during 30mn.
  . Plug the power cord and power on.
  . If you have display, you would see a message; choose to load default values.
=> Result?
3/ Try with another PSU.
Hoping it hsall help,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.61)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1809)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

shinobi1369Topic starter

• CORPORAL

Thanks. I do have an old 500w PSU in my old rig. I will give that a try when I get home. 

I would be surprised if a brand new 750w gold rated PSU is problem. 

I will also try your other advice about making sure the CPU is not overly tightened down.

shinobi1369Topic starter

• CORPORAL

Thanks.

This is how it is setup right now.  I have done exactly what you have asked. Yes ATX and cpu2 power cables are plugged in. I have double checked every cable to the manual and even the YouTube videos that MSI does in the owner's manual. 

I will try another power supply when I get home and I will loosen the water block a bit (not really even hand tight right now, uses thumb screws).

shinobi1369Topic starter

• CORPORAL

Before I left home, loosened up the water block a bit. Didn't make a difference.  Will let you know if the other PSU work or not.

shinobi1369Topic starter

• CORPORAL

Called MSI and spoke to the tech. Mobo is DOA. RMAing the Mobo and processor. Thanks for the help all! Hopefully the next one works!!

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Called MSI and spoke to the tech. Mobo is DOA. RMAing the Mobo and processor.
:cry: 
Thanks for the help all! Hopefully the next one works!!
You are :welcome: 
Good luck for the next,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.61)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1809)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

shinobi1369Topic starter

• CORPORAL

Yep, either the Mobo and or cpu was bad.  Got both replacements in and this setup is screaming.  Stable 5ghz OC and working on a stable OC for the 2080 Duke card.  Glad it all worked out!!

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Good news, happy for you! :pompom: 
Glad to have been able to help.
Friendly yours,
Pages: [1]   Go Up