Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touchpad driver: How to install?  (Read 1897 times)

CoronaTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
Touchpad driver: How to install?
« on: 11-February-19, 10:57:41 »

Hi everyone. I would like to carry out a fresh installation of Windows 10 using the latest drivers from MSI. I'm currently stuck at the touchpad driver, which does not come with an installer, as it does with the driver CD partition which came with the laptop. I tried to update the driver from Device Manager, but Windows says the driver is already up to date, which it's not. Can anybody explain to me how I can do a fresh install of latest touchpad driver? The support page for the laptop in question is here: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GS63-Stealth-8RE#down-driver&Win10%2064

Cheers.

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
Re: Touchpad driver: How to install?
« Reply #1 on: 11-February-19, 11:18:52 »

Hi everyone. I would like to carry out a fresh installation of Windows 10 using the latest drivers from MSI. I'm currently stuck at the touchpad driver, which does not come with an installer, as it does with the driver CD partition which came with the laptop. I tried to update the driver from Device Manager, but Windows says the driver is already up to date, which it's not. Can anybody explain to me how I can do a fresh install of latest touchpad driver? The support page for the laptop in question is here: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GS63-Stealth-8RE#down-driver&Win10%2064

Cheers.

Hi Corona,

The download for the TouchPad driver at your link is for a zip file. This is a compressed file which you can open with the File Manager of Windows. The installer should be inside it and all you'd need to do is copy it from the zip file to another location so you can run it. If the zip file does not contain the installer, then you need to contact MSI Support to report the problem so they can correct it. These forums are volunteer user-to-user forums and MSI Support doesn't participate.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

CoronaTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #2 on: 11-February-19, 11:54:59 »

Hi David. The .zip file does not contain an installer, just a couple .inf files which Windows doesn't seem to accept. I'm reporting the problem to MSI support now. Thanks.

Cheers.

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #3 on: 11-February-19, 12:34:31 »

you can also try 3rd party driver installers

https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

https://drp.su/en
warning with this one make sure you use expert mode then go to the software tab first and uncheck any software you dont want. or it will auto install some apps

but 3rd party installers may or may not install the specific msi oem driver which can sometimes have custom functionality for that msi oem product
Click Here to:     Download Windows 10       Reinstall Graphics Driver       Update Bios

CoronaTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 11-February-19, 12:40:26 »

Ok, after browing some more for a solution I found out how to install this driver: The trick is to choose "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" -> "Have Disk" and point to the driver's location after selecting "Update driver" -> "Browse my computer for driver software" in Device Manager. I had clicked on "Browse" and selected the location of the driver, which didn't work.

Cheers.

freeyh

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #5 on: 11-February-19, 19:54:29 »

Do the Windows Update to the latest version. And launch Device Manager > Left-click on ELAN touchpad > Update Driver > Search Automatically 
You can refer to this post for more information.

And how to install the inf file, please check this post for the guide.

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #6 on: 11-February-19, 20:15:23 »

Ok, after browing some more for a solution I found out how to install this driver: The trick is to choose "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" -> "Have Disk" and point to the driver's location after selecting "Update driver" -> "Browse my computer for driver software" in Device Manager. I had clicked on "Browse" and selected the location of the driver, which didn't work.

Cheers.
Smarter than:
  • David
  • Corona
  • RaiderGamer
You should go work for NASA.

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
« Reply #7 on: 11-February-19, 21:55:25 »

Smarter than:
  • David
  • Corona
  • RaiderGamer
You should go work for NASA.

It's always good to learn. ;-)
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

CoronaTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #8 on: 12-February-19, 05:16:58 »

Do the Windows Update to the latest version. And launch Device Manager > Left-click on ELAN touchpad > Update Driver > Search Automatically
You can refer to this post for more information.

And how to install the inf file, please check this post for the guide.

Thanks for the link to the guide, free103486. I had already tried the method given there, but it had no effect. Updating the driver online would probably work, although my aim was to do this offline, without running any updates: I will be backing up Windows once the drivers are installed and would like to keep the image file as small as possible.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up