Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI GT72S 6QE dead after 13 months  (Read 250 times)

cliffwilliams44Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
MSI GT72S 6QE dead after 13 months
« on: 12-February-19, 11:52:37 »

I just want to post this here for anyone reading these forums researching whether to purchase an MSI laptop.

Background: I am a 30 IT professional. In my capasity as an IT manager for a large corporation we buy almost exclusively laptops, from standard business laptops to high end workstations and virtual reality capable laptops.

My family purchased an MSI GT72s 6EQ for my grandson. Prior to this I have had people report positivley regarding MSI though not a large number of people.

After 13 months the motherboard is dead. Obviously out of warrant. This laptop ran extreamly hot. Hot enough to heat an entire 12' x 11' room to the point of being uncomfortable, we put a fan in the doorway to try and cool the room off. I do not know if heat was the cause of the failure but we even purchased a cooling base for this laptop but all that did was push more hot air into the room.

Having sent the laptop to MSI I was shocked to hear back that they wanted $1499 to repair a laptop that only cost us $1199.00 that is insane? I have never in my career had a manufacturer come back to me and ask more to repair a computer than it was purchased for. This is some serious hubrius! Obviously they know that these laptops are the primary gaming platform for thier users and being without it is a serious problem for thier users but I can buy a brand new one for less than this repair cost. That makes absolutely no sense.

I have had Dell and HP both repair lap[tops up to 90 days past warranty even though there was no active service contract on them. Why? They want our business. From what I have seen in these forums and across the internet MSI laptops have a poor failure rate. So obviously MSI knows this but I do not see MSI stating that they know there are issues with their product and they are going to do right by their customers.

If you are looking for a gaming laptop DO NOT buy MSI. If you do pay for the extended warranty because it WILL fail and you will pay more than the purchase price to get it fixed out of warranty.

My company is in the Rail Road maintenance business and we do Ground Penetrating radar examinations of railroad tracks. We needed a high end laptop to record and play back these GPR sessions in Virtual Reality. I did not recomment MSI primarily due to the heat issues I have experienced, we purchased an Alianware. This laptop is used in some pretty extream situations and it has performed flawlessly! 18 months and no failures.

CW44

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
Re: MSI GT72S 6QE dead after 13 months
« Reply #1 on: 12-February-19, 13:06:08 »

young people tend to get their laptops full of malware and dust which can seriously hamper the performance within a short time

i usually install ublock origin on their chrome browser and then add a ton of extra filter lists to block every possible malware site. then give them a can of compressed air and show them how to properly blow the dust out every month.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

https://filterlists.com/

===============================

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 02-April-19, 13:47:36 »

Believe me dust and or malware were nto the problem It was defective/ we got it repaired but not from MSI.

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #3 on: 02-April-19, 14:03:53 »

Believe me dust and or malware were nto the problem It was defective/ we got it repaired but not from MSI.
I had the slightly newer brother (gt72vr 6re with i7 6820HK and 1070) and it was the coolest running laptop I had ever seen, even on stock paste... if yours ran hot then there was something wrong from the get go (heatsink not properly fitted, factory paste job gone wrong, fans were also known to die on these earlier models...) Obviously a laptop that repeatedly overheats and runs close to 100C most of the time WILL die. That said, my gt72vr ran max 70C on gpu and in the 50's-60's on cpu (if cpu intensive) in games. Max temps I ever saw on it was like 74C on gpu and 80C on cpu (overclocked to 3.8GHz running prime 95). All that without coolerbooster. It sucks that MSI did not offer to fix the laptop if it was shortly out of warranty, but they are not legally obliged to do so. Moreover, here in EU (despite even standard warranty being 2 years) it is possible to extend the warranty for about 50 euro by another year. I am sure msi offers something similar in other countries as well. If you ever buy something expensive again, I highly recommend extending the warranty if possible, especially if it is a laptop. No matter what brand.
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
                          MSI GT72VR 6RE (i7-6820HK, gtx1070), MSI GT75 8RG (i7-8750H, gtx 1080)
Current desktops:  i7-8700k, evga 1080ti ftw3, Asus Z370 prime-a, 2x8GB Corsair RAM @3000MHz, Fractal Design Define r6 TG white, Noctua NH-D15
                          i7-7740x, msi x299 raider, msi gtx 1060 armor 6GB, 2x8GB RAM, NZXT h440
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy gaming to all!

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 02-April-19, 14:09:27 »

I had the slightly newer brother (gt72vr 6re with i7 6820HK and 1070) and it was the coolest running laptop I had ever seen, even on stock paste... if yours ran hot then there was something wrong from the get go (heatsink not properly fitted, factory paste job gone wrong, fans were also known to die on these earlier models...) Obviously a laptop that repeatedly overheats and runs close to 100C most of the time WILL die. That said, my gt72vr ran max 70C on gpu and in the 50's-60's on cpu (if cpu intensive) in games. Max temps I ever saw on it was like 74C on gpu and 80C on cpu (overclocked to 3.8GHz running prime 95). All that without coolerbooster. It sucks that MSI did not offer to fix the laptop if it was shortly out of warranty, but they are not legally obliged to do so. Moreover, here in EU (despite even standard warranty being 2 years) it is possible to extend the warranty for about 50 euro by another year. I am sure msi offers something similar in other countries as well. If you ever buy something expensive again, I highly recommend extending the warranty if possible, especially if it is a laptop. No matter what brand.

I really don't expect a consumer laptop company to offer repairs out of warranty. I have had commercial venders do it for my company only because they want to keep the relationship which is worth millions to them.
What I was particularly pissed off about was quoting a price for repair that was $300.00 over the initial cost of the laptop.

From what I am seeing here, MSI has a serious quality issue. I would never recommend thier products to anyone.

We got the latop repaired for $134.00 and it is running far better and cooler than it has ever done before the repaire.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAPTOP-MOTHERBOARD-REPAIR-MSI-MS-1651-MS-1035-S-6000/320692279379
Pages: [1]   Go Up