Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The best Laptop I’ve ever got  (Read 106 times)

akozeuxTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
The best Laptop I’ve ever got
« on: 12-February-19, 12:18:01 »

My GS65 Stealth Thin 8SE is thin and light.The design is very attractive and its performance is worth to pay.It can handle mostly all the games smoothly and the msi dragon centre can boost my gaming experience.

david

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
Re: The best Laptop I’ve ever got
« Reply #1 on: 12-February-19, 21:19:51 »

Keep an eye on the battery. The batteries in the thin MSI gaming notebooks have been known to swell and permanently deform the case. If not caught in time and replaced, they could catch fire. If you notice your case swelling near the battery location, stop using it and contact MSI Service for a replacement. You'll find lots of posts in these forums about this problem.
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

masonyang

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #2 on: 17-February-19, 20:14:11 »

Lithium ion or polymer cells with notebook are designed around a 300-500 charge cycle or about two years - whichever comes first.  And just like flashlight batteries will eventually leak at end of life, these cells will swell at life end.

frank.tf.tsai

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #3 on: 18-February-19, 01:19:53 »

David noted an important possibility for the battery. Battery deterioration is to be expected in the majority of electronics. Be careful!

david

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
« Reply #4 on: 18-February-19, 19:50:20 »

Lithium ion or polymer cells with notebook are designed around a 300-500 charge cycle or about two years - whichever comes first.  And just like flashlight batteries will eventually leak at end of life, these cells will swell at life end.

Yes, this is what you would normally expect. But MSI has been using a Li-Po battery packaged in a soft case in its thin notebook models. These MSI batteries have been having serious problems. Many users have reported them swelling dangerously after less than one year of "normal" service. Just check these forums and you'll find photos that users have posted to illustrate the problem. In more than one case, the battery swelled so big that it permanently deformed the notebook's thin case. This is such a serious situation---with a risk of battery fire or explosion---that it seems unwise to purchase any MSI notebook with a thin chassis. If you do purchase one of the thin notebooks, you need to keep a close eye on its case so you will detect the problem quickly if it begins to happen.

If MSI were a responsible company, they would have recalled the affected notebooks and stopped using these risky batteries.

Li-Po battery technology is good---there's nothing wrong with the technology. I've safely used Li-Po batteries with my professional photography gear for many years (Olympus dSLR). Their big advantage over standard Li-ion is their polymer electrolyte allows the battery to operate down to lower temperatures for outdoor use during the winter. My guess is that the OEM battery manufacturer who MSI is sourcing its Li-Po batteries from is having problems in its manufacturing process. As such, they are a bad source for these batteries. MSI needs to find a supplier who can manufacture good ones.
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6
Pages: [1]   Go Up