Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting the SSD from a GS65 8RF in a GS65 8SF?  (Read 86 times)

tommy.engvikTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Putting the SSD from a GS65 8RF in a GS65 8SF?
« on: 12-February-19, 13:35:17 »

Hello everybody,

I bought a GS65 8RF a couple of months ago. Last week I spilled soda all over it and short circuited it. My friend who works as an IT technician couldn't get it alive again.
Luckily, it was covered on my insurance, so I got the money back. My first thought was to just buy the same GS65 8RF again, but I saw that the GS65 8SF was also out and the price difference wasn't that big.

My question is: I have the SSD from the 8RF still. I'm hoping to put it in my 8SF and use it as the primary drive and the other one as the secondary. That way I don't have to install everything again, and I also get 1TB of SSD instead of 512. Do you know if that will work? My tech friend said that the motherboard needed to be the same, otherwise things could go wrong. I read something in a topic that MSI has switched to a new SSD type?

- Tommy

pennknig

• MAJOR
Re: Putting the SSD from a GS65 8RF in a GS65 8SF?
« Reply #1 on: 12-February-19, 14:48:08 »

My question is:
I have the SSD from the 8RF still.
I'm hoping to put it in my 8SF and use it as the primary drive and the other one as the secondary. 
Your going to have to clone over your OS to the the new boot drive, OR, do a clean install of W10 1809, the the hardware and drivers are different.
IF ... your new notebook upgrades to 1809, I will highly recommend you do a clean install, MS has really borked the update process in so many ways.

freeyh

• CAPTAIN
Re: Putting the SSD from a GS65 8RF in a GS65 8SF?
« Reply #2 on: 12-February-19, 23:23:30 »

GS65 8RF and GS65 8SF are two different laptops, you can't directly move the original SSD to the new laptops, the drivers, components, BIOS, EC...etc are all not the same.

Besides, when you get the new GS65 8SF, you'll get the pre-installed system unless you buy the FreeDOS version which does not have the OS on the laptop.

At last, the topic you read that switched a new SSD, they might still use the same laptop but upgrade a new SSD for larger capacity. I think it's not the same situation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up