Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low FPS w/ GE75 Raider 8SF  (Read 531 times)

braeden29221Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Low FPS w/ GE75 Raider 8SF
« on: 02-March-19, 07:24:55 »

I have just recently bought a new laptop, the GE75 Raider 8SF. If you don't know, it has an RTX 2070, 16GB of RAM, and an i7 8750H. I watched many reviews over this laptop and all of them reported average frames per second of around 150 depending on the game. This is why I bought the laptop, the FPS. I have not experienced the same level of performance. I average around 60 FPS on any game. And it's not capped. It will go over just a little bit, but not too much. I called MSI tech support and they made me update my BIOS and firmware. That only managed to make everything slower. I then averaged around 30 FPS. Then I was told to factory reset my PC. I did this with no improvement what soever. Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be? Everyone I talk to doesn't see any reason why I should be running this low, even though it's a laptop. I'm willing to answer any questions and any help is appreciated.

seanchiarot

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: Low FPS w/ GE75 Raider 8SF
« Reply #1 on: 02-March-19, 09:58:15 »

The 1st few things that pop into my mind are these

1) You said you seen reviews on this laptop showing X fps in games, are you playing the same games?
     - I ask this because my desktop is running a Ryzen 7 1800x, 2x GTX 1080ti's, 32GB of ram and its all liquid cooled, yet in one of my games (Archeage) my desktop averages 75~, while my OLD Lenovo Y500 laptop gets 150~ fps & my brand new GS65 8se gets the same as my desktop @ 75~, in this games case, it is due to the engine the game uses, its not optimized worth a damn for newer hardware.

2) Is there a bottle neck happening?
     - Open taskmanager (ctrl+shift+esc) go to performance & play your game, does anything hit 100%? if so start looking into why its hitting 100%

3) Is there thermal throttling happening?
     - Download something like hwmonitor & again, play the game, see if something is just running super hot.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 02-March-19, 12:10:30 »

1). Same game?
       I do play the same games that they did the benchmarks on. The 2 main ones are Fortnite and Apex Legends.
2). Possible Bottlenecks?
      As far as I know, there are none. I've played with the MSI dragon center open, and my GPU use percentage doesn't typically go above 50 and never goes above, or even hits 60. My RAM also only hits about 50% usage so I don't think theres any problem with bottlenecking.
3). Thermal Throttling?
      Nothing that I see shows any signs of thermal throttling. I don't know if you know this, but there is a feature on my laptop that is activated through a button right under the power button. When activated, it puts the fans on full power. I almost always game with these fans on and the air coming out is always very cold. It just feels like room temp. Air being blown on you. I also have played with MSI afterburner on, and it has never gone above 60°C when I play.

I bought the laptop about a week ago. I got it at Micro Center and their return policy allows returns before 15 days. I'm thinking I might just buy a new laptop, after returning this one. I also saw another forum topic about another person with the same laptop. They too have these same problems

Thanks for being nice and respectful. I normally get bashed b/c of some mistake I made and get ridiculed with little to no help. Thank you for actually trying to help.

strong_vegetable

• CORPORAL
« Reply #3 on: 02-March-19, 14:34:50 »

I have to ask this, did you make sure you're running the game with the nvidia GPU and not intel GPU through the nvidia control panel? Is your RAM dual channel? I have dual channel 16gb (8+8) and my apex legends runs smooth as butter.

edit: also which power setting are you on? high performance? power saver?

RaiderGamer

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #4 on: 02-March-19, 15:26:51 »

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 02-March-19, 15:40:38 »

I have to ask this, did you make sure you're running the game with the nvidia GPU and not intel GPU through the nvidia control panel? Is your RAM dual channel? I have dual channel 16gb (8+8) and my apex legends runs smooth as butter.

edit: also which power setting are you on? high performance? power saver?

I believe I am running with the GPU. I selected it in a program; I don't remember the program name. Could you show me how to make sure? Mine only came with a single channel. The guy on MSI support said that this was the problem, but I can't imagine that single channel RAM would account for a 50% reduction in performance. I play on high performance.

I've also encountered a new problem. In task manager, Windows Explorer is taking up to 30% of my CPU. There are also other various apps that periodically will take mass amounts of CPU resource. Would you be willing to get in a discord with me to try and help me fix this?

strong_vegetable

• CORPORAL
« Reply #6 on: 03-March-19, 11:49:43 »

sure leave your tag here or something and i'll add you today or tomorrow by the latest

proctor750

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #7 on: 04-March-19, 20:38:13 »

RAM!

Did yours come single channel? My GV 63 8SE with 2060 did and it was sluggish in the 40s on BF5. I bought another stick of kingston 16gb to run dual and instantly am getting 100-120 fps. I have no clue what MSI was thinking running single channel. Terrible idea.

Sarracenae

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 06-March-19, 04:33:39 »

There definitely seems to be something going on with your machine.

I got my GE75 with 2070 on friday and for comparison on max settings in apex legends it runs at a pretty solid 144FPS. All I've done out of the box is update the Nvidia drivers under Nvidia experience, and update the dragon centre yesterday but it was fine before that update anyway. I also added a second NVme SSD and removed the HDD, but doubt that made a difference. Out of interest mine is dual channel (2x8gb) so it could indeed be that.

Btw the easy way to check which GPU is running just look for the colour dot next to the power on button, Red is Nvidia, White is Intel.

Cobretti

• CORPORAL
« Reply #9 on: 06-March-19, 05:05:20 »

There definitely seems to be something going on with your machine.

I got my GE75 with 2070 on friday and for comparison on max settings in apex legends it runs at a pretty solid 144FPS. All I've done out of the box is update the Nvidia drivers under Nvidia experience, and update the dragon centre yesterday but it was fine before that update anyway. I also added a second NVme SSD and removed the HDD, but doubt that made a difference. Out of interest mine is dual channel (2x8gb) so it could indeed be that.

Btw the easy way to check which GPU is running just look for the colour dot next to the power on button, Red is Nvidia, White is Intel.

I am 80% convinced its the dual channel ram setup you have that is the difference. Looking on here and youtube videos, the RTX line from all manufacturers in some regions are onyl providing one stick of ram.

I have one of of the box and mine performs bad. Planning to get the new ram module when I can afford it.

On another note, if you don't mind can you run a 3DMark test for time spy and share your results link please. Also let us know the temperatures it reaches during the test. Will be interesting to see if with dual channel the core temperature runs lower.

proctor750

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #10 on: 06-March-19, 09:56:41 »

I believe I am running with the GPU. I selected it in a program; I don't remember the program name. Could you show me how to make sure? Mine only came with a single channel. The guy on MSI support said that this was the problem, but I can't imagine that single channel RAM would account for a 50% reduction in performance. I play on high performance.

I've also encountered a new problem. In task manager, Windows Explorer is taking up to 30% of my CPU. There are also other various apps that periodically will take mass amounts of CPU resource. Would you be willing to get in a discord with me to try and help me fix this?

You have 16G just like me and I had 1 stick single channel. Download CPU-Z and verify you are single channel. Yes it does make that big of a difference - I literally just did this last week. 

Solution:

No joke I got more than double the FPS on BF5 after installing.

Sarracenae

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #11 on: 06-March-19, 13:40:10 »

I am 80% convinced its the dual channel ram setup you have that is the difference. Looking on here and youtube videos, the RTX line from all manufacturers in some regions are onyl providing one stick of ram.

I have one of of the box and mine performs bad. Planning to get the new ram module when I can afford it.

On another note, if you don't mind can you run a 3DMark test for time spy and share your results link please. Also let us know the temperatures it reaches during the test. Will be interesting to see if with dual channel the core temperature runs lower.

Here you go, this is my timespy (score of 7514, run on Balanced, Sport shift and auto fans).

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6496179

and Firestrike

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18617350

Cobretti

• CORPORAL
« Reply #12 on: 06-March-19, 14:45:34 »

Here you go, this is my timespy (score of 7514, run on Balanced, Sport shift and auto fans).

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6496179

and Firestrike

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18617350

Thank you for running that on your stock standard out of the box with dual channel setup. You results are more inline with the reviews I saw when deciding to get this laptop.

Here is the comparison of two stock laptops one with single channel (mine) one with dual channel (Sarracenae)

TimeSpy
6400 vs 7500
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/6411633/spy/6496179#

FireStrike
16000 v 17000
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18527534/fs/18617350

As you can see they appear identical in the settings, only difference with mine and Sarracenae is single vs dual channel. Both say 16GB in the summary though, and not a breakdown of modules.

forendanny

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #13 on: 10-March-19, 15:09:40 »

It would be interesting if you have the same performance when you connect an external display and play over this. I have an GP73 8GB DDR4 (Single Channel) with an GTX1070 and when I use a external display instead of the laptop display I have a massive fps increase. In CS:Go i have ~120fps with the internal display and >200fps with the external display... 
Same in BF5 ...unplayable with the internal display at around 50-60fps (and a lot of drops in the low 40s), external display, same settings~100fps. 

In both situations the clocks and loads of CPU/GPU are the same. Only difference, while using the internal display, the iGPU (Intel HD) has also a load >15% ... external display 0% load...

brett_herbert

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #14 on: 15-April-19, 17:57:51 »

Have we got a walkthrough for pulling the laptop apart and replacing the ram? 

Also what is the 16gb stick that comes with it so I can get a second one?
Pages: [1]   Go Up