Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU´s temperature  (Read 58 times)

GalateaTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
CPU´s temperature
« on: 15-March-19, 00:12:20 »

Hi, I´m new here, I have an MSI GS63VR-7RF and I noticed that nowadays the CPU´s temperature is around 70°C even when I just typing in the afternoon, I don´t know if it´s normal. I have to mention that where I´m living the normal temperature outside is over 30°C and my A/C is not working. I don´t know if I have to do something or if it´s normal I would like some help.

david

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
Re: CPU´s temperature
« Reply #1 on: 15-March-19, 07:40:07 »

Hi, I´m new here, I have an MSI GS63VR-7RF and I noticed that nowadays the CPU´s temperature is around 70°C even when I just typing in the afternoon, I don´t know if it´s normal. I have to mention that where I´m living the normal temperature outside is over 30°C and my A/C is not working. I don´t know if I have to do something or if it´s normal I would like some help.

Hi Galatea,

The kind of help you can get here is advice. These are volunteer user-to-user forums and MSI does not participate. We're all just end-users like you. With that in mind, your temperature sounds high. A more normal temperature range for light computing is 35-45°C. However, during intense gaming when the CPU and dGPU load is very high, 85-95°C is common.

The first thing to consider is: Is your cooling system dirty? If your notebook is not new and you've been using it for a while, it's fans and heat diffusers could be coated with dust and dirt which can significantly degrade their efficiency. If your notebook ran cooler when it was new but has gradually gotten warmer, a dirty cooling system may be the problem. The remedy is to clean the cooling system. Users can do this, themselves, but it takes care. Fortunately, there are lots of videos on the internet showing various methods for doing this. I clean the cooling system in my GT80 2QE Titan at least once per year.

If your notebook's cooling system is clean but the notebook runs hot, then the problem may be more serious. Some users have written into these forums complaining about the poor installation of thermal compound at the MSI factory. Some even provided photos---they truly looked bad. The best remedy for this problem is to take your notebook to a professional computer tech and pay them to disassemble the cooling system and repaste the CPU and dGPU. They may also need to replace some of the thermal pads on secondary components. There are third-party thermal compounds and pads available that are much better than the ones provided by the MSI factory and this would be an ideal time to upgrade. Here are some suggestions: For thermal compound, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste or IC Diamond Thermal Compound are both good (they both score high in thermal conductivity in independent tests). For thermal pads, Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads are good.

You could also contact MSI Service and try to get them to repaste your CPU and dGPU if your notebook is still under warranty. But I'm not impressed with the quality of their service and would use them only as a last resort.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6
Pages: [1]   Go Up