Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B450M PRO-VDH PLUS M.2 NVME drive disappears after sleep.  (Read 1785 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Hi,
  Just upgraded to MSI B450 PRO-VDH PLUS. The WD Black NVME drive worked fine in the old board, but in the new board, when the computer resumes from sleep the NVME drive is missing. so windows crashes (boot drive). The drive is also missing/not detected in BIOS. A complete power off by removing the mains lead is required before the drive is detected again.

I notice some other boards have had similar issues with some Crucial M.2 drives requiring BIOS updates etc but cannot seem to find anything about this problem with this particular board and Western Digital Black NVME drive.

Any ideas before I start ticketing MSI support?

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

For the moment I am gonna try disabling the PCIE Link State Power Management in windows power settings. Ill let you know if that fixes it, but I will prob need to ticket it with support anyway cos after a lot of reading seems a BIOS update might be required so the LSPM can be enabled.

Still,  any other ideas welcome.

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Nope! disabling LSPM made no difference.  hmm, Ill try a few things, complete BIOS reset and wont change anything like apply XMP profile to RAM etc. If that fails I shall try the pencil erasure of clarity on the golden finger of knowledge treatment and anything else I can think of and report back.

If anyone has any ideas, please to chime in. All are welcome.

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

ok tried:
 disabling LSPM                                - nope, same
  disabling Hybrid Sleep'                   - nope, same
  sleeping for just a couple minutes  - nope, same no matter how short or long the sleep is
  cleaning and reseating M.2 drive    - nope, same
  full BIOS reset, default settings       - nope, same
  enable hibernate                             - nope, same

disabling sleep and enabling hibernate   - Success!  hibernates fine. I can see why though, hibernate does not use the low power modes of sleep.

placing everything back on old board,    - Success! sleep is working fine again.  hmm, not really a fix?

so....
the M.2 does not work with low power states required for sleep on this board, even to the point of being broken on soft reboots once sleep has broken it.

Notes:
keyboard and mouse do not wake sleep, only the power button short press wakes it. Is the BIOS permanently set to ERP ready = on ? Tried enabling allow usb to wake in BIOS power settings,  made no difference. Maybe try set ERP ready = on to see if it turns it off?  just a guess but improbable.

Many reports on the net with the same problem on other boards note that when the M.2 is not your system drive then the system will resume from sleep, but your M.2 drive is missing until hard reboot (complete power off), this has usually been fixed with manufacturer creating BIOS fix/update. I would assume this would fix it even if your M.2 was system drive then?

So for now I am at a loss,   I suppose next is to unplug all/any USB devices 'cept keyboard of course, and all/any other drives/devices not required to get into windows and test sleep. though that amounts to one SATA drive and a web cam.

wish me luck...

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

ok, let the strangeness ensue.

removing everything not needed to boot  - Success, sleep works fine.
add back Sata drive - Success, sleep works fine

hmm,  ok,, add back USB devices one at a time.

Add external sound card - check, works fine
add wireless dongle to hub  - FAIL,  sleep breaks.

remove all USB devices and try Wireless dongle in any and all USB ports,  - fail, sleep is broken regardless of port both USB 2 and 3 ,,,  hmmm culprit ?
remove Wireless dongle - success, sleep works

ok,  add other stuff,  

HTV Vive,  - fail,  any port sleep problem back again.  hmm
Remove HTV Vive

try Arctis 7  and web cam and any other USB stuff including hub etc,   -   success sleep works fine.

So, it looks like the board will not work with either the Realtek Wirless dongle or the HTV Vive

Swap everything around the ports with only USB 3 stuff in USB 3 ports and USB 2 stuff in any free port - Success   sleep works fine.

Remove everything and try the two troublemakers one at a time without any other devices -  FAIL! either device causes the sleep problem.

move everything back to old board - success, no issues with any device.

Conclusion, Wierd...  how is this affecting the M.2 port?  

Next test..  change power supply, though a single wireless dongle on it's own without any other USB device seriously cannot flake my RX-530SS PSU. Also the old board on all the same equipment does not cause this.  

Diving deeper, as usual, please do contribute if you have any insight.

Thanks
BaDboD

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

still more testing,

Remove everything and try one USB device that causes the problem with no other device connected.
WiFi dongle  - FAIL, sleep is broken , M.2 vanishes. all USB port for this device fail sleep with same error
remove WiFi dongle.
Try only HTC VIVE - FAIL
Same result, Single device USB will cause the M.2 device to vanish on sleep.
Does not matter which port I try, all port, USB2 and USB3  same result with these two devices that do not affect the A320

Some problem with BIOS here, Timing about awake from sleep but device is not ready and somehow affect M.2

Testing is over,  2 good device is found to break M.2 when motherboard sleep.

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Aaarrgghh

Nope,  now it is doing the same with nothing plugged in. OK maybe PSU?

change to new PSU and sleep still breaks M.2 with just mouse and keyboard.  ooohh,  maybe mouse or keyboard?  no, changed and same.  DAMN!!!

sleep did work for a short while with nothing else,  but then stopped.

Put all back in old board,  all is working fine and sleep no problem. Tried both old and new PSU to check. all good

ill just disable sleep for now and use hibernate,  see what support ticket can find.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
It really sounds like a bios problem. If currently you have bios V9.00 (first one for this mobo), update it to V9.10 and retry. To update, do exactly that:
- Download >>Bios V9.10<<.
- Take an USB pen having no more than 16GB (physical size) with only one partition.
   Verify it with CHKDSK.
- Unzip it and copy the file "E7A38AMS.910" on the root of the USB pen.
- Boot and enter in Bios Setup. Press [F6], confirm, press [F10] and confirm. Pc should restart.
- Enter again in Bios Setup.
- Plug the USB pen into one port on the back panel (better to use a 2.0).
- Click on M-Flash then select the file on the USB pen.
- M-Flash should start; be cautious to not abort it before the end (can last up to 5mn).
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
- Enter again in bios setup and
   enable "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" (change only that for the moment).
Does it resolve?
Have a good day,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Hi,
  Already using latest version 7A38v93. It is rather baffling. I was really happy I got it working properly after removing all other devices,  then finding 2 devices that always caused it to fail. Not too happy one appeared to be the HTC VIVE.  But that it later stopped working regardless did make me think something was like failing, hence change PSU. But back to square one. Even with no other devices plugged in at all sleep still breaks M.2.

ahh well,  hibernate works, and I am waiting for support to tell me if it is something they can replicate and maybe fix or if I need to RMA it.

Thanks for your reply, but first thing I did out of the box was update to latest BIOS.

Shame about this sleep thing. I got over 100 point increase in cinebench by simply changing from A320 to this b450, no overclock needed.
Marked as best answer by david on 22-March-19, 11:31:01

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
Already in the past, bios V9.30, which include code developped by AMD for its futur CPU, is buggy for current one... Worst, AMD refuse downgrade so that you cannot use M6Flash to go back to V9.10! :angryfire: 
As recent example, see >>Sound no longer working after bios update 16<< for a such case.
I suggest to use the tool >>Flash tool[1.05] for MSI UEFI BIOS<< to downgrade to >>Bios V9.10<< (E7A38AMS.910). It has been developped by one forum's administrator and saved many users in the past with a similar problem (bios preparing for Raven Ridge CPU).
Hoping it shall help,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT
Re: B450M PRO-VDH PLUS M.2 NVME drive disappears after sleep.
« Reply #10 on: 22-March-19, 03:24:26 »

oohh, you have to be kidding me. best part of a week trying to solve this and it turns out the 'new' BIOS is the problem.

It is early yet, but I have sent it to sleep several times now with all items plugged in,  for up to 10 mins at a time and it works!!!!!!!!  Sleep is alive!

Thank you rbleroy91 Wonder why support in ticket do not know this?
I will update them after I have much more testing, but it very much looks like following your instructions to install the 7A38v91 (V9.10) BIOS version has indeed solved the disappearing M.2 when computer sleeps problem.

I prefer hibernate and that worked fine, but I do like all functions to work even if I don't actually use them. Make sure it is not faulty and all that.

Thank you again rbleroy91

Right, give it a 1 hour sleep and report back the good news I hope  :-)

Regards
David

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #11 on: 22-March-19, 04:15:12 »

@rbleroy91  That flashing tool is way better than any provided by MSI. 

M-Flash and the Live Update (seriously DO NOT USE Live Update)  leaves the user in the dark with no progress counters or anything, so we are praying to the gods of silicon that it is doing something and has not crashed, frozen whatever.

Really nice flash utility with constant progress display. Very reassuring during what is a traumatic several minutes when we all need real reassurance we are not bricking our MoBo.

Regards
David

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Good news, happy for you! :pompom: 
Glad to have been able to help.
Friendly yours,

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #13 on: 22-March-19, 11:33:42 »

Confirmed,  6 hours sleep and it resumes fine, Also hybrid, then to hibernate. All 100% with the 'use older BIOS' answer from rbleroy91 His answer and tutorial about how to use the tool to move back to the previous BIOS worked perfectly and fixed it.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #14 on: 22-March-19, 12:03:36 »

:beerchug: 
You are :welcome: 
Friendly yours,

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #15 on: 27-March-19, 05:21:10 »

Update,
  MSI support got back to me saying to hang in there while they fix it. So would seem a new BIOS should be coming soon. For me on my 1500X I am fine on the [font=DINPro-Regular, Arial, Verdana, Geneva, 微軟正黑體, sans-serif, sans-serif]7A38v91[/font][/color] (9.10) BIOS and it all works great,  but good news for those wanting to use newer CPU's not supported by the 9.10.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #16 on: 27-March-19, 06:10:32 »

Thanks to share this information on this forum!

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #17 on: 22-April-19, 04:03:39 »

[update]

MSI support have kindly confirmed the issue and suggested it only affects WD Black M.2 PCIE NVME drives. They are working on a fix.

[/update]

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #18 on: 22-April-19, 07:00:48 »

Usefull to know, Thanks!

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #19 on: 25-April-19, 01:43:11 »

MSI suport has sent me a new BIOS to check out, seems to have fixed it,  I will know better over the next few days sleep cycles.

So, for any one affected, there should be a new BIOS showing up soon.

viniter

• PRIVATE E-2

Same issue with B450 Tomahawk and WD Black 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD. Happened after updating BIOS to version 7C02v17 (previously 7C02v12). This is what I get for trying to be a responsible user and keeping my software up to date. :(

Would you recommend to wait for the new BIOS version to roll out or attempt to flash older version with the tool mentioned above? I'd assume MSI has a fix ready to ship soon, since they were able to send David a sample.

BTW: The issue for me was incredibly consistent. It appeared immediately after updating the BIOS and happens with every single sleep cycle, no matter how short. Enter sleep mode -> wake up -> blue screen -> restart -> no ssd in bios -> power off for 5 - 10 seconds and back on -> ssd detected in bios again. I'd recommend anyone with WD NVMe and MSI B450 mobo to stay away from latest BIOS.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Would you recommend to wait for the new BIOS version to roll out or attempt to flash older version with the tool mentioned above? I'd assume MSI has a fix ready to ship soon, since they were able to send David a sample.
Ask directly to MSI Support: >>How to contact MSI<<. Here, we are only final users.
If the beta bios is not already available for your mobo, in waiting, either configure the system to prevent sleep or downgrade to >>Bios V1.50<< (or V1.20) with Flash Tool.
Have a good day,

purplecofe2

• STAFF SERGEANT

Suspend make strange problems on other mainboard, hope fix it in next releasing BIOSes.

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

@purplecofe2   Support is fast and accurate, the best support of any. You might post to support at 'Member Center' from the main site as suggested already by 
rbleroy91 

As seen above they sent me a BIOS to test and sleep is working fine with the WD black now,  but the new BIOS is still not in the downloads on the site for everyone else. Maybe more testing?

Please contact them and quickly they will fix it.

Also you could roll back to one previous  BIOS while waiting?  I think rbleroy91 may have more help about that.

Regards

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
As seen above they sent me a BIOS to test and sleep is working fine with the WD black now,  but the new BIOS is still not in the downloads on the site for everyone else. Maybe more testing?
Beta bios are never published by MSI (except in the case of a blocking bug). Support send the last one when a user contact them and his problem could be resolved by it. Therefore, if one user hopes for a beta bios, he must ask to MSI Support: >>How to contact MSI<<.
Also you could roll back to one previous BIOS while waiting?  I think rbleroy91 may have more help about that.
Yes, if I am able to help!
Friendly yours,

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

The beta BIOS I was given was also put on the BIOS download page for 2 months, marked as BETA 7A38v94, It has now been removed. I suggest anyone using the 7A38v94 beta BIOS from the official BIOS download page for this board should backup this working BIOS. We know the 7A38v93 BIOS is broken with sleep and NVME. Do not use!.

I dont know if the 7A38v91 BIOS supports Zen 2 CPU's yet, but I have asked support.

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

There is a new BIOS, (release) to support 3000 series CPU.   I have so much power already with R5 2600X I will not be upgrading CPU until mature.
 I will try the new release BIOS. Make sure to use the tools in this thread so you can roll back if problems.
 I will report any issues with the new BIOS while using 2600X.

BaDboD

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

There is a new BIOS, (release) to support 3000 series CPU.   I have so much power already with R5 2600X I will not be upgrading CPU until mature.
 I will try the new release BIOS. Make sure to use the tools in this thread so you can roll back if problems.
 I will report any issues with the new BIOS while using 2600X.
BE AWARE that a lot users have big problems after to have upgraded: erratic boot (worst, there are cases where pc never boot after), no display, crash... :undecided: 
Furthermore, these RZ-3000 bios are really buggy for older CPUs. AMD and MSI having so much difficulties to correct bugs even for the Rz-3000, verification for older CPUs seems omitted! Therefore, it should be a good idea to wait for futur bios versions and/or until you will buy the new CPU.
Friendly yours,

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Thanks for the warning, however,  It seems fine.  the BIOS is different, and was a bit weird with not booting or things,  but clear BIOS and all good.  Now you cannot click, but if selected you can just type.  everything so far is ok .   Corsair vengance 2133 at 2800 1 tick  ,  1.28 volt  , fine.

You must make sure your CPU is not on the 'no longer supported'  

I will now test the sleep/hibernation which previous BIOS has a real problem with; as the title of this thread.

So far so good. 

BaDboD

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

sleeps and hibernates fine,  benchmarks the same once I worked out how to use the new BIOS.  I think this one is good to go. I like the new BIOS too,  none of that mouse click n stuff. Old School.  

Recommended.  Do not update BIOS for no reason. I am a tinkerer. I did not need to update,  just wanted to test it.

For Ryzen 5 2600X  there is no performance difference.  If you current CPU is working fine, then do not play.

BaDboD

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

For Ryzen 5 2600X  there is no performance difference.  If you current CPU is working fine, then do not play.
:yes:

davidTopic starter

• SERGEANT

I can confirm the 9.40 BIOS is rock solid at the moment and cannot find anything that does not work properly, seems good.  Ill let you know in a week or two. I never turn my computer off,  just sleep and sometimes hibernate,  so see ya in a week or two (or before if I do find any problems)

BaDboD
Pages: [1]   Go Up