Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duke 2080 OC - Rgb stuck at rainbow  (Read 1453 times)

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
Duke 2080 OC - Rgb stuck at rainbow
« on: 09-May-19, 16:55:27 »

Hey all,

So I too have been having issues controlling the gpu rgb lighting. I have been researching for days now, and read up on almost every other thread about this issue, but nothing worked for me. Among other things, I have made a few clean installs on the drivers, both for the gpu as well as mobo, and I have updated their bios as well (yes, making 100% sure they are the right ones for my models). I even tried rolling back to versions others said were ok with with mystic light 3 and dragon center. I also uninstalled all my razer apps momentarily, as it can communicate with mystic, and someone noted other apps that control rgb may cause issues, but nothing changed.

Note that all the apps recognize my gpu just fine, and other than being stuck in rainbow mode, everything else works as it should. Also, mystic light has no issues controlling every other hardware that can light up

GPU: 2080 Duke OC (vbios attached)
S/N: 602-V372-34sb1810002302

Mobo: z390 MEG Ace

Not sure what else I need to do, but I definitely don't like spending so much time for nothing, and so far it's all that I got :/ I appreciate any help, at this point a mere confirmation that this is a software thing that will be resolved will be more than enough

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR
Re: Duke 2080 OC - Rgb stuck at rainbow
« Reply #1 on: 13-May-19, 01:51:50 »

Hi,

what version of Mystic Light do you currently use?

Please go to 
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\MysticLight\Log

or

C:\Programs Files (x86)\MSI\Dragon Center\Log\MysticLight_Test 

Showing us the log file would be appreciated.

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #2 on: 13-May-19, 10:30:10 »

Hi LBJ,

I've gone back n forth with versions of both ML and DC as I said above, but here's the log file as well. Currently using ML ver. 3.0.0.50, and as with any previous version I tried, my GPU is only recognized, and nothing more.

I read up quite a bit before posting here, and I did everything that was suggested in these threads, which is why I'm almost convinced this is on MSI. Can't be that this many ppl have the same unresolved issues with 20 series and their RGB, meanwhile everything else works as intended. I do hope some minor tweak will change this, or at least the issue is not hw related, cause I just want to know my GPU is healthy in all aspects. I love the thing, this is a huge buzz kill :(

Anyhow, there is ofc the possibility that I still didn't do something right, which is why I'm here, so thanks for the help :)

takesoul92

• CORPORAL
« Reply #3 on: 14-May-19, 16:00:52 »

Hi LBJ,

I've gone back n forth with versions of both ML and DC as I said above, but here's the log file as well. Currently using ML ver. 3.0.0.50, and as with any previous version I tried, my GPU is only recognized, and nothing more.

I read up quite a bit before posting here, and I did everything that was suggested in these threads, which is why I'm almost convinced this is on MSI. Can't be that this many ppl have the same unresolved issues with 20 series and their RGB, meanwhile everything else works as intended. I do hope some minor tweak will change this, or at least the issue is not hw related, cause I just want to know my GPU is healthy in all aspects. I love the thing, this is a huge buzz kill :(

Anyhow, there is ofc the possibility that I still didn't do something right, which is why I'm here, so thanks for the help :)
Hello baze,did you find a solution?

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 14-May-19, 17:18:41 »

Uninstall Mystic Light.
Download Dragon Center. 
Install Dragon Center
Go to the sync tab at the bottom. 
Update Dragon Center
Install the Mystic Light plugin.
Reboot Dragon Center.
Go to the Mystic Light plugin within Dragon Center.
Profit (hopefully).

My 2070 Gaming Z uses Dragon Center (along with my Z390 Godlike) to control the LED's.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 1MSI GS73VR-6RFIntel i7 6700HQ16GB DDR4MSI GTX1060 6GB
ServerMSI X370 SLI PlusAMD Ryzen 5 1500X16GB DDR4MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor OC
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #5 on: 14-May-19, 18:40:49 »

Hey,

takesoul92: 
Unfortunately nothing so far

darkhawk:
I did this already (and after some little trouble, as getting DC to work and update is not as easy as it sounds). The card was again only recognized, and the LED stuck at rainbow mode. Note that I always fully delete any previous apps before installing another one

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR
« Reply #6 on: 14-May-19, 19:38:10 »

Hi,

The log file looks fine. 
The Duke should have been controlled by Mystic Light.

Could you test the card on another platform, if possible?

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #7 on: 15-May-19, 09:29:10 »

Hey LBJ,

Good to know, and no I'm not able to test the card on another rig at the moment. I have one rig in the house, and recently moved pretty far, so I don't even have any friends here to ask if I can use it on their rig

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR
« Reply #8 on: 15-May-19, 21:10:32 »

Hi,

Can you try to boot up the system with the motherboard and Duke as the only two RGB devices being controlled and recognized by the Mystic Light in Dragon Center?

I do not wanna believe this issue is hardware related, but it seems like it at this moment.

Knock on the door of your new neighbors and ask them if you can test the card on their rig. By doing this, you get to make new friends and find out whether the problem is hardware related or not.

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #9 on: 16-May-19, 07:41:51 »

Yeah, that doesn't really apply the same everywhere, lol. I know my neighbor already, and that he doesn't have one, and I'd rather create a ticket with MSI before going door to door till I find someone who'd even be willing... but thanks for the suggestions

Anyhow, I would have to take off the fans and RAM sticks in order to test the way you said, likely kb+mouse just to be sure as well. I'll give it a go, but even if the rgb works with other pieces taken off, would that mean that it would keep working when I put it all back together, or am I gonna spend my time again for nothing?

I think I'll end up creating that ticket tbh. If you say it looks like it's hardware related, I think it's worth a try. The rig is all new, everything works as it should, and I have tried a lot of different things since last week. It should not be this (or at all) hard for equipment to work as intended.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 16-May-19, 09:21:18 »

Is it possible any other software you are running that controls any other LED's could be interfering? 
Corsair Link? Or Cue?
Perhaps anything else?

Realistically, even things like HWINFO64 have been known to cause issues because they will try to access the addresses of the LED's and cause hiccups and things to not work properly.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #11 on: 16-May-19, 12:36:16 »

I've only used synapse and the msi apps I've been trying here, and I did try both with synapse uninstalled.

I also read in another thread that this was apparently an issue when the 2080 dukes first came out, and ppl had the issue resolved without having to return the gpu in the end. This sounds both good and bad to me, since it directly means that massively, either the software, or hardware for these guys is not ok. I would love to hear an input from anyone that had this issue with the 2080 duke and fixed it, I really don't want to have to rma, just built the thing, and my mobo does not care for igpu's, so I literally can't use it without the duke :rolleyes:

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR
« Reply #12 on: 17-May-19, 03:45:07 »

Hi,

Can you try to install a clean Win 10 on a spare drive and test the Duke with it?

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #13 on: 18-May-19, 07:21:17 »

Not yet, I only got one ssd and would be adding more later.

Out of curiosity how would this help? Just a safe step in case windows did not install correctly, or is there more to it and did it resolve the issue for other people? I installed windows 10 on this 2 weeks ago if it means anything.

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR
« Reply #14 on: 19-May-19, 00:52:59 »

Hi,

Sometimes, it is the OS causing the problem with the lighting control program.

A clean Win 10 installation with only VGA driver and Dragon Center installed would help clarify the problem a lot.

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #15 on: 19-May-19, 09:08:57 »

I see, thanks for clarifying. I'll give it a go if I find a spare drive, cause it may be some time before I buy an additional for the rig.

Btw, I met a guy through a new friend that does have some spare stuff and some rigs, but it's all very, very old stuff. I'll go check his whole stash, if he has a spare gpu that I can use I want to try and clean install all apps and drivers with the duke off the rig (my mobo does not support igpu, so I can't do this right now).

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #16 on: 20-May-19, 14:40:59 »

I created a ticket and I received a reply today

I was told that ML 3 is discontinued, and that I should download and install Dragon Center v2, then navigate to the update utility within the app to add features/updates, like an rgb controller. Now, aside from the fact that both mobo and gpu have different apps listed in the support website, I had to also find out where it would be located in their website, and finally found it listed with some of their newer laptops

After installing the app I was able to run it, and it would see all the parts just fine, but I could not find any updater. I literally checked the whole thing 10 times over. Nothing. I tried downloading the live updater but that wouldn't help either.

If anyone knows how to get dragon center v2 to update and add the extra apps, please share the wisdom

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 20-May-19, 20:42:53 »

There should be a 'cloud sync' button at the bottom that you can select. It should bring up the window in dragon center about updating various programs. It should have mystic light and dragon center in there, if they need updating.

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #18 on: 20-May-19, 21:26:53 »

This is how it's done in Dragon Center v1, but there's nothing like this in DC v2.

I attached a pic that shows the bottom panel. These four tabs are monitoring, tuning, mobile app connection, and the one shown in the attached picture. Clicking recommended apps (which is the only option even relative to what I need in this version) did not help, there's only one app listed named MSI APP, which doesn't seem to do anything when I add it. It doesn't let me add anything from the cloud either, only local apps

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR
« Reply #19 on: 21-May-19, 03:15:57 »

Hi,

I seriously do not understand why they told you to download Dragon Center V2 for your motherboard or graphics card.

No motherboards or graphics cards are supported by the Dragon Center V2 that you downloaded from the laptop support page at this moment.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 21-May-19, 17:13:16 »

Download dragon center here : https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-Z390-ACE#down-driver&Win10%2064

That should be 1.0.0.45.

That should function properly.

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #21 on: 21-May-19, 18:00:22 »

I did try this version before contacting msi. Pretty sure there is also a 1.0.0.50, which I don't remember if I tried. It was a nightmare to even get it to update to add the lighting app, but even when I finally got it added it would only recognize the card but that's it, still infinite rainbow.

I dunno why they told me to download dragon center 2 either, I mean my specs were listed when I created the ticket, but I figured they're msi, should worth a try.

takesoul92

• CORPORAL
« Reply #22 on: 25-May-19, 03:20:05 »

I did try this version before contacting msi. Pretty sure there is also a 1.0.0.50, which I don't remember if I tried. It was a nightmare to even get it to update to add the lighting app, but even when I finally got it added it would only recognize the card but that's it, still infinite rainbow.

I dunno why they told me to download dragon center 2 either, I mean my specs were listed when I created the ticket, but I figured they're msi, should worth a try.
So no solution at all?

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #23 on: 26-May-19, 16:55:13 »

Nope, and no reply yet, cause I did tell them what I wrote above about DC v2.

Rainbow is still going strong

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #24 on: 28-May-19, 10:23:05 »

Second day in trying to add mystic light in dragon center (I deleted the v2 that was suggested by support and installed v1 again). I hate that I don't remember how I managed to do this the first time around (I think I manually added the files, but I can't remember how I found them), and short of deleting my AV I tried everything.

I can download any app through the dragon center live update except mystic light which never goes beyond 9% before telling me to connect to the internet and retry. I ofc came across a few other threads were ppl had the same issue with no solutions. If someone can point me to where I can manually download the files and save them in the folder myself it would be much appreciated, cause I guess going msi also means doing everything you pay them for, by yourself.

Needless to say, I feel deeply embarrassed about the fact I did not do any research on their softwares and support before going msi, cause I would not have touched them and already started regretting that I did. I will definitely make a point of recommending against them cause now that I opened a ticket I also realized how the support is even more ridiculous than the fact that they have 10 different apps that don't work as they should. When I pay almost 1.5k for just 2 components I am owed at least some decent reason as to why there is the slightest thing wrong with them, or anything that goes with them, like a software that they need in order to do all the things your ads told me my gpu can do, but guess what... Yet the best help I got so far is only from ppl that are just end users (and I thank you for your time guys, really), and msi does not even know what software to suggest.

Anyhow, just frustrating that my hype for the new rig went down the drain with all this... Any advice on how to fix this update issue is much appreciated

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 28-May-19, 22:28:36 »

Second day in trying to add mystic light in dragon center (I deleted the v2 that was suggested by support and installed v1 again). I hate that I don't remember how I managed to do this the first time around (I think I manually added the files, but I can't remember how I found them), and short of deleting my AV I tried everything.

I can download any app through the dragon center live update except mystic light which never goes beyond 9% before telling me to connect to the internet and retry. I ofc came across a few other threads were ppl had the same issue with no solutions. If someone can point me to where I can manually download the files and save them in the folder myself it would be much appreciated, cause I guess going msi also means doing everything you pay them for, by yourself.

Needless to say, I feel deeply embarrassed about the fact I did not do any research on their softwares and support before going msi, cause I would not have touched them and already started regretting that I did. I will definitely make a point of recommending against them cause now that I opened a ticket I also realized how the support is even more ridiculous than the fact that they have 10 different apps that don't work as they should. When I pay almost 1.5k for just 2 components I am owed at least some decent reason as to why there is the slightest thing wrong with them, or anything that goes with them, like a software that they need in order to do all the things your ads told me my gpu can do, but guess what... Yet the best help I got so far is only from ppl that are just end users (and I thank you for your time guys, really), and msi does not even know what software to suggest.

Anyhow, just frustrating that my hype for the new rig went down the drain with all this... Any advice on how to fix this update issue is much appreciated

Honestly, keep contacting them. Tell them how poor it is. 

*We* can sit here all day and tell MSI (trust me, I'm telling them every time I talk to them about how poorly the software is) all the time how bad it is, it doesn't mean much. But them getting complaints from users will make a difference. 
Call them about it. Email as well. 
Personally, I hate it. The software is very poorly done. Just like the naming of products and features.

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #26 on: 29-May-19, 12:11:24 »

I just asked them to send me the individual files for mystic app in dragon center and they said they can't, they're not hosted anywhere and I should wait for the next update...

I told them straight up an alternative would be of great support, and in a nut shell I told them that I will just stop recommending them cause I really would be lying at this point. Like there's an unnecessary amount of apps, lots with issues (from not controlling gpu rgb to not even being able to update), the support hardly knows what to suggest (asking me to add v2 was a joke at best), and all this sounds to me, a customer, that msi has no idea of what is really going on with the various softwares and how they do with the hardware, and it's really worrying. There shouldn't be that lvl of distrust with these components, or any component tbh

pawlik

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #27 on: 30-May-19, 11:01:54 »

Same card, same issue for me. The RGB on the card doesn't respond to any changes in ML and DC. The (lack of) support to this issue by MSI is just ridiculous. 'Your card doesn't work as advertised? -> RMA.' That's their solution.

No one at MSI cares that this is not an isolated issue, more likely to be software rather than hardware-related. Getting a new card will not fix this seeing how many users have the same problem.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: 31-May-19, 09:34:16 »

I wish I could provide you guys with a better update or some way to make it work....but I honestly can't.
Heck....if you run your PC for long enough (24 hours, minimum) the mystic light app crashes and your LED's stop responding. Just another bug I've mentioned to them that still hasn't been fixed.

Trust me when I say that I wish they would fix it properly. 
A simple application could do it, but because they decided to fragment their products so much, it causes these issues.

At the end of the day, I would guarantee some marketing 'genius' made this decision (to have such a fragmented LED support system), and it's done nothing but hurt the brand.

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR
« Reply #29 on: 02-June-19, 19:03:53 »

Same card, same issue for me. The RGB on the card doesn't respond to any changes in ML and DC. The (lack of) support to this issue by MSI is just ridiculous. 'Your card doesn't work as advertised? -> RMA.' That's their solution. No one at MSI cares that this is not an isolated issue, more likely to be software rather than hardware-related. Getting a new card will not fix this seeing how many users have the same problem.

Post your system configuration including the VGA S/N here and tell us what you have tried so far to fix the VGA LED control issue.

If no one knows the cause of the issue or can duplicate the issue, MSI would not be able to fix it.

Sometimes, even if an issue can be duplicated, engineers still have trouble fixing it.

pawlik

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #30 on: 03-June-19, 13:19:39 »

Post your system configuration including the VGA S/N here and tell us what you have tried so far to fix the VGA LED control issue.

If no one knows the cause of the issue or can duplicate the issue, MSI would not be able to fix it.

Sometimes, even if an issue can be duplicated, engineers still have trouble fixing it.
SN of GPU: 602-V372-34SB181004643. BIOS: 90.04.23.00.40
Windows 10 Home 64bit v1803
Tried various versions of Mystic Light 3 - it correctly recognizes the card as RTX Duke 2080, but changes made in the app are not reflected on the card.
My mobo is Z370 Gaming M5 - works perfectly with Mystic Light 3. If I use the sync option that is supposed to make all LEDs in PC to work in the same mode, the changes are applied only to the mobo. 
I recently tried Dragon Center as well (using the ML addon downloaded from the Live Update thing in DC). Works the same as standalone ML3 app - mobo reacts correctly, GPU always stuck in rainbow mode.
No other LED software installed.
Haven't tried using the card with a different PC yet.

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #31 on: 03-June-19, 13:42:34 »

I noticed every person with this issue in these forums also has an msi mobo, including myself, not sure if it means anything

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #32 on: 04-June-19, 08:35:06 »

Support just asked me how I am trying to add mystic on DC, since it should not have a loading bar/% when downloading. This is now the exact application and version they linked me... So, I sent them a snapshot that I highlighted the bar and %

They literally have no clue about their software, or the support is just offensively bad. Either way, my trust is only thinning. Not to mention it feels like talking to a different person each time since I have to repeat stuff a LOT. I even asked them if they read the previous notes. Funniest thing is they didn't say anything about how or why they suggested DC v2 when I confronted them.

But it's not funny at all is the problem...

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR
« Reply #33 on: 05-June-19, 02:13:01 »

Hi,

Have you tried to use Dragon Center 1.0.0.48?

By the way, do you mind telling where you are located?

If you still cannot finish downloading Mystic Light or other drivers and utilities, there could be an issue related to connection to the MSI server. 

Not being able to control your Duke LED is really a pain in the axx. 

I still do not get why a few of number of users cannot control the Duke LED properly.

If there is indeed a software issue, there should be many users having the same LED control issue.

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #34 on: 06-June-19, 12:44:26 »

Hi,

Have you tried to use Dragon Center 1.0.0.48?

By the way, do you mind telling where you are located?

If you still cannot finish downloading Mystic Light or other drivers and utilities, there could be an issue related to connection to the MSI server.

Not being able to control your Duke LED is really a pain in the axx.

I still do not get why a few of number of users cannot control the Duke LED properly.

If there is indeed a software issue, there should be many users having the same LED control issue.
Yes, the one I have installed now is 1.0.0.48. I'm in a small town in Canada, and yeah I dunno, as I said all other utilities are installed with no fuss. No idea what to think, but if anyone can help me locate the files to download and manually install would be great cause I now have a problem that prevents me from even checking into the problem I initially had :D

Support pretty much raised their hands in the air. They said it sounds unlikely to be hardware related, and they ofc won't deny, but do not really recommend that I return it, since they think all there is to it is my OS needs reinstallation or their software is wack. And I definitely am not returning it cause it's a great chip and I'd rather not gamble the temps and stability it shows for the sake of RGB

I'll keep trying to see what's up, but I really don't want to install windows again. I just did last month, the rig is brand new, and literally everything else except msi's apps runs great. I mean I'm definitely bit lazy to do it too, but as time passes with no results I'm thinking about it

LBJistherealchamp

• MAJOR
« Reply #35 on: 10-June-19, 03:40:23 »

Hi,

Mystic Light 1.0.0.15 within DC has just come out.

Try to download it.

Fingers crossed.

BazeTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #36 on: 10-June-19, 20:15:33 »

Still unable to download. I have installed and cleaned this app 5 times over the last week, and every time all other utilities will re-download without any fuss, while Mystic won't even load 1% before asking me to connect to the internet.

I dunno, everything else works just fine, even dc downloads everything I check in updater, except mystic, so it doesn't look like it's a connection issue, or local on my end, cause why specifically chose one pack to download and not another?

pawlik

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #37 on: 15-June-19, 14:22:11 »

So, MSI, are you going to do anything about it?

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: 15-June-19, 19:18:38 »

So, MSI, are you going to do anything about it?

If you're expecting a response directly from MSI, you're going to be waiting a long time. MSI doesn't directly respond here. Call them. See : >>How to contact MSI.<<
Pages: [1]   Go Up