Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touchpad driver  (Read 174 times)

matt_the_bossTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Touchpad driver
« on: 13-May-19, 15:51:29 »

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if it's possible to install Synaptics drivers on the new laptops which already have precision drivers. For example, Synaptics drivers were installed in the previous revisions of the MSI GT75 Titan. Can I install Synaptics drivers on the new revision of the MSI GT75 Titan?
Thank you in advance,

Matt

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
Re: Touchpad driver
« Reply #1 on: 13-May-19, 19:01:42 »

... I would like to know if it's possible to install Synaptics drivers on the new laptops which already have precision drivers. For example, Synaptics drivers were installed in the previous revisions of the MSI GT75 Titan. Can I install Synaptics drivers on the new revision of the MSI GT75 Titan? ...

Hi Matt,

The latest GT75 model that I'm aware of is the GT75 9SG and MSI provides an Intel driver for its touchpad. So I think the answer is probably "No". Normally, a Synaptics driver would only work with a Synaptics touchpad. So, if an Intel touchpad is being used, a Synaptics driver would not work. And, even if a Synaptics touchpad is provided, a Synaptics driver from an earlier model may not be configured properly to work with the newer model.

You'll have to talk to MSI directly to get a better answer (these forums are volunteer user-to-user forums and you cannot reach MSI here). Use the "Service" menu at the of the page to contact MSI. However, I doubt you'll get a good answer from MSI for something like this (they've given me incorrect information in the past) and I doubt their support staff will know much about the hardware in the new models yet.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 14-May-19, 13:01:13 »

Hi Matt,

The latest GT75 model that I'm aware of is the GT75 9SG and MSI provides an Intel driver for its touchpad. So I think the answer is probably "No". Normally, a Synaptics driver would only work with a Synaptics touchpad. So, if an Intel touchpad is being used, a Synaptics driver would not work. And, even if a Synaptics touchpad is provided, a Synaptics driver from an earlier model may not be configured properly to work with the newer model.

You'll have to talk to MSI directly to get a better answer (these forums are volunteer user-to-user forums and you cannot reach MSI here). Use the "Service" menu at the of the page to contact MSI. However, I doubt you'll get a good answer from MSI for something like this (they've given me incorrect information in the past) and I doubt their support staff will know much about the hardware in the new models yet.

Kind regards, David
Hi David,

thank you for your tips. I wrote to MSI support and I'm waiting for the answer.
Sadly, due to my physical disability, I can not use touchpads with Precision drivers because they are not configurable like Synaptics ones. Moreover, I want to ask you if there are gaming laptops with Synaptics drivers. Those that I've recently seen work with Precision drivers.
Thank you,

Matt

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
« Reply #3 on: 14-May-19, 17:06:54 »

... Moreover, I want to ask you if there are gaming laptops with Synaptics drivers. Those that I've recently seen work with Precision drivers. ...

Hi Matt,

That's a tough question. When I shopped for my MSI GT80 2QE Titan notebook four years ago, I don't remember MSI ever listing the make of touchpad that it had. It wasn't listed in any of the specs or advertisements. I learned it had a Synaptics touchpad when I checked the drivers before I made the purchase. (In my case, it had nothing to do with the touchpad. The notebook shipped with Win 8.1 but I needed full Win 7 support---which MSI provided---and I downloaded all of MSI's Win 7 drivers and noticed that the touchpad driver was made by Synaptics.)

I think the best thing you can do is find a store that carries MSI notebooks so you can go there and test them. You could look at the Windows Device Manager to see what make of driver and touchpad are installed. If there aren't any stores near you that carry MSI notebooks, then the next best thing you can do is look at the touchpad driver that MSI provides on the download page of each model that you're interested in. That's how I checked the GT75 9SG---I used the "Service" menu to open the "Service Portal" webpage, then I entered "GT75" and searched for all models that began with that name. When you select one, you'll have a chance to go to its "download" page where you can view its touchpad driver.

Here's another idea: Remember that Microsoft includes some "Ease of Access" options with Windows for the mouse/touchpad. Perhaps you will find the controls you need there if they are not provided by the touchpad driver. For example, I use Microsoft "MouseKeys" app (a member of Microsoft's Ease of Access system) to enable keyboard control of the pointer when I need super-fine precision. As a software developer, I sometimes need pixel-level control when designing a control for the user interface. The MouseKeys app is also helpful when I'm editing a large, highly detailed photo or illustration in Adobe Photoshop. Sometimes, I can't zoom in because my edit requires me to see a larger section of the image and being able to use the numpad arrow keys to move the pointer for a precision edit is extremely helpful.

Lastly, if you can tolerate using an external pointing device, you might be able to get something exactly like you need. And the advantage of it being external, means you can take it with you and use it with other computers, too. It also means you will not be limited to touchpads but may be able to choose a different pointing device that is more friendly with your disability.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 15-May-19, 12:08:52 »

Hi Matt,

That's a tough question. When I shopped for my MSI GT80 2QE Titan notebook four years ago, I don't remember MSI ever listing the make of touchpad that it had. It wasn't listed in any of the specs or advertisements. I learned it had a Synaptics touchpad when I checked the drivers before I made the purchase. (In my case, it had nothing to do with the touchpad. The notebook shipped with Win 8.1 but I needed full Win 7 support---which MSI provided---and I downloaded all of MSI's Win 7 drivers and noticed that the touchpad driver was made by Synaptics.)

I think the best thing you can do is find a store that carries MSI notebooks so you can go there and test them. You could look at the Windows Device Manager to see what make of driver and touchpad are installed. If there aren't any stores near you that carry MSI notebooks, then the next best thing you can do is look at the touchpad driver that MSI provides on the download page of each model that you're interested in. That's how I checked the GT75 9SG---I used the "Service" menu to open the "Service Portal" webpage, then I entered "GT75" and searched for all models that began with that name. When you select one, you'll have a chance to go to its "download" page where you can view its touchpad driver.

Here's another idea: Remember that Microsoft includes some "Ease of Access" options with Windows for the mouse/touchpad. Perhaps you will find the controls you need there if they are not provided by the touchpad driver. For example, I use Microsoft "MouseKeys" app (a member of Microsoft's Ease of Access system) to enable keyboard control of the pointer when I need super-fine precision. As a software developer, I sometimes need pixel-level control when designing a control for the user interface. The MouseKeys app is also helpful when I'm editing a large, highly detailed photo or illustration in Adobe Photoshop. Sometimes, I can't zoom in because my edit requires me to see a larger section of the image and being able to use the numpad arrow keys to move the pointer for a precision edit is extremely helpful.

Lastly, if you can tolerate using an external pointing device, you might be able to get something exactly like you need. And the advantage of it being external, means you can take it with you and use it with other computers, too. It also means you will not be limited to touchpads but may be able to choose a different pointing device that is more friendly with your disability.

Kind regards, David
Thank you very much for all your advice. I'll wait for the answer from MSI support, anyway. Maybe they can find a solution.
Have a nice day,

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up