Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PCI-E x16 slot went bad?  (Read 189 times)

michael.b.fincherTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
PCI-E x16 slot went bad?
« on: 16-May-19, 15:11:00 »

I got home from work yesterday to discover my computer booting but no video output happening. I did a bunch of troubleshooting attempting to determine where the problem was originating, and I got it to work by not using the first, x16 slot and going down to the next slot down that it would fit in (x8). The computer does not detect the card as being installed at all when I put it back in the first slot. I did my best to blow the slot out and still nothing. I haven't detected any burn spots or anything, but that being said I have not removed the mobo and looked at the underside. I don't know that it is relevant, but the drivers were super screwy when I got it in the other slot, to the point where no normal fixes for driver issues would work and I had to reinstall windows. Got it all up to snuff driver-wise now, though. GPU is connected via ribbon connection for vertical GPU stand and in the 3rd slot (second correctly sized one).

Has anyone heard of such things or have any experience in such issues? In all my time working on computers I've never had a PCI slot go out and I'm just very confused as to how or why this would happen. Google search results felt generally unhelpful.

Main Specs:

Intel Core i7 6800K
MSI X299 Raider
ROG Strix 1080ti OC
16GB DDR4

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
Re: PCI-E x16 slot went bad?
« Reply #1 on: 16-May-19, 18:38:57 »

Generally, this either means : 
1. The slot is bad
2. The CPU socket is bad
3. The CPU is bad
4. Motherboard is bad

Those are really the only options (assuming the card is OK, which it sounds like it is).

Do you have any other PCI-E cards that aren't a GPU to try in the slot? Like a PCI-E x1 sound card or network card or something? That could help eliminate if the top slot still works at all or not.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 1MSI GS73VR-6RFIntel i7 6700HQ16GB DDR4MSI GTX1060 6GB
ServerMSI X370 SLI PlusAMD Ryzen 5 1500X16GB DDR4MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor OC
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 17-May-19, 08:06:34 »

I do here at the office. I'll take one home and see how it goes.

I knew of a time when some ATI cards were burning out peoples slots by drawing too much power.. is it possible something like that happened here? I guess we will know more once I throw a smaller card in there, but it definitely does not detect the gpu even though the other slots do.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 17-May-19, 08:32:12 »

I do here at the office. I'll take one home and see how it goes.

I knew of a time when some ATI cards were burning out peoples slots by drawing too much power.. is it possible something like that happened here? I guess we will know more once I throw a smaller card in there, but it definitely does not detect the gpu even though the other slots do.

I haven't heard of it happening to any NVidia GPU's ever personally.
It's not impossible, but I would say highly improbable.

I would start with making sure your card works for sure in another computer.
If it does, and works fine, then it leaves you with 2 other things to check. 
CPU
CPU socket.

To fully check it...
Try another video card, or other card with less PCI-E slot usage (like an x1 card) in the slot in question, and see if it works.
Check the CPU to make sure there's no problems with the landing grids on the bottom. No black spots, etc...
Check the CPU socket to ensure all the pins are aligned properly. Post a picture if you're having problems seeing it.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 17-May-19, 12:47:41 »

Well the card works for sure in the other slots on my computer. Even put it through a bit of intensive gaming last night and it worked fine, granted a few fps less than usual but it does seem to be a miniscule difference between x16 and x8. CPU also seems fine, no trouble from it.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 17-May-19, 15:17:28 »

Well the card works for sure in the other slots on my computer. Even put it through a bit of intensive gaming last night and it worked fine, granted a few fps less than usual but it does seem to be a miniscule difference between x16 and x8. CPU also seems fine, no trouble from it.

I mean, it might seem fine. But, who knows internally.

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 17-May-19, 16:06:05 »

I mean, it might seem fine. But, who knows internally.

Fair enough lol. I'll update with what I can get figured out and looked at over the weekend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up