Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get my laptop to output HDR  (Read 57 times)

mavanipmTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Can't get my laptop to output HDR
« on: 18-May-19, 17:51:16 »

I have a GS73VR 7RF Stealth Pro, w/gtx 1060 and some intel card, and I cannot output HDR. I have tried connecting the laptop to my LG c8, and my asus rog swift pg27uq, and the option in windows 10 to display HDR/WCG is greyed out for both. In contrast, my custom built desktop outputs to the monitor with no problem, and my ps4 pro can successfully output HDR to the LG. I'm all out of ideas and would love help!

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
Re: Can't get my laptop to output HDR
« Reply #1 on: 18-May-19, 18:46:08 »

Hi mavanipm,

That's a tough one. I don't think that many users are doing that yet so there may not be much information here. A number of things come to mind and I cannot promise that any of them will be helpful, but they may spark an idea or two.

First, how are you connecting the notebook to the display? I'd assume the LG C8 must be via HDMI because it doesn't have DP. But did you try a DP connection with the ASUS PG27UQ or did you use HDMI with it, too? It's possible that your notebook can only output HDR via its mDP port. If this is true, you should be able to do it with the monitor via DP, but not with the TV via HDMI.

Second, did you try rebooting your notebook while the external display is connected and turned on? It's possible that your notebook needs to see an HDR-compatible device during bootup in order to support it. Connecting or turning on the display after bootup may not work.

Third, you stated that your "option in windows 10" to display HDR/WCG was greyed out but did you check the NVidia Control Panel? The controls you'll need are usually on the "Change resolution" page under "Display". Begin by selecting your external display at the top of the page. Then the relevant resolution, refresh rate, color depth, color format and dynamic range options for that display will appear underneath.

If you get it working, please share how you achieved success so other users can benefit.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

RaiderGamer

• MAJOR
Re: Can't get my laptop to output HDR
« Reply #2 on: 18-May-19, 19:55:33 »

u need to use and hdr compatible port on the display and have the hdr turned on in the display for that port

rec2020 color space = hdr
rec709 color space = sdr

also it might not work with hdmi 1.4, u need hdmi 2.0b port on both ends and cable(4k 60hz cable NOT 4k 30hz)

also make sure you have the correct display selected in the display area in settings in windows

http://prntscr.com/nqe9cp

also in the end u might also need either a 2160p 4k hdr movie OR hdr game, in order to see any benefit. i think alot of tv's like samsung have fake and real hdr that adjusts in real time based on the content input. so if its receiving sdr rec 709 content like from a bluray movie it will go into sdr mode with a fake hdr effect, then if it receives a true hdr signal from a 4k movie it will switch to rec2020 and display true hdr
Pages: [1]   Go Up