Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to upgrade/repair my PE70 2QD, replace the keyboard (maybe rgb?) battery  (Read 410 times)

adamTopic starter

• CORPORAL

So my PE70-2QD is getting quite long in the tooth. The battery life has always been terrible, now it's unusable. It's ALWAYS has over heated despite replacing the thermal compound and adding several heatpipes. The killer wifi is sketchy, and finally the keyboard is having issues with the S key not registering.

After looking around ebay I've found everything I may need but I have a few questions:
1: I've come to the understanding that it's not the easiest thing in the world to go from a standard steelseries backlit keyboard to an RGB version. Is it purely something in the EC/BIOS? If so, that shouldn't be too difficult to modify if anyone knows how it might be referenced.
2: Is it worth replacing the killer wifi card for a higher end Intel chip? I'm battling it randomly losing connections, not showing available wifi hotspots, being stupidly slow randomly, etc.
3: It's fairly obvious that most replacement batteries are generic crap, are there any that have a higher capacity than stock?
4: To battle the overheating I've been seeking out MSI laptops that are a higher end model but of a similar design. It's looking like this GE72VR heatsink will be my most effective option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MSI-GE72VR-GP72VR-GP72M-Laptop-Fan-With-Heatsink-AAVID-PAAD06015SL-N366-N372/132250631173?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 Anyone have any thoughts on this, or if there is a better one available that could fit?

Also, I'm thinking about a slightly larger upgrade, I found a PE70-6QE motherboard for only $150. Would it be worth the bother for jumping from an 4720hq and 950m to a 6700hq and 960m? Then again I also found a GE72 2QD that has the same specs, but 3 M.2 slots instead of one.  I feel that there are some benefits, mainly the slightly faster processor and gpu but also that it supports 32gb of ram vs 16gb. Not to mention there may be a better world of BIOS mods available for it. However, there do seem to be quite a few boards with the same PCB shape/size so I'll keep browsing around.

adamTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Well shoot, now I have a bricked bios and a USB Programmer CH341A on the way to fix it.

Got lucky with unlocking a whole ton of options but I ran into issues with using UBU to mess with the id of my 4720hq to allow it to put out more power. At least a tool with a clip at $8 is far cheaper and easier than replacing the whole chip.

Or hell, I could pick up this replacement motherboard and have a little upgrade at the same time
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Prestige-PE70-17-3-Laptop-i7-6700HQ-2-6Ghz-Geforce-GTX-960M-Motherboard/123643864886?hash=item1cc9bfa736:g:5FIAAOSwUPlcZA1W

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

overclocking laptops is pointless

they underclock laptops for a reason
Click Here to:    Download Windows 10     Reinstall Graphics Driver     Update Bios

adamTopic starter

• CORPORAL

That much is obvious when I lower all the multipliers to 30 and it still thermal throttles after 5 seconds.

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
Click Here to:    Download Windows 10     Reinstall Graphics Driver     Update Bios

adamTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Been there, done that. The issue lies with the fact the stock heatsink is garbage for an i7. One tiny heat pipe running to an index finger sized block of fins.

Once I get that upgraded heatsink and put fresh paste on it, it MIGHT run at a normalish temp.

adamTopic starter

• CORPORAL

have a few questions:
1: I've come to the understanding that it's not the easiest thing in the world to go from a standard steelseries backlit keyboard to an RGB version. Is it purely something in the EC/BIOS? If so, that shouldn't be too difficult to modify if anyone knows how it might be referenced. (Has anyone heard of anyone successfully pulling this off?)
2: Is it worth replacing the stock wifi card for a higher end Intel chip? I'm battling it randomly losing connections, not showing available wifi hotspots, being stupidly slow randomly, etc.
3: It's fairly obvious that most replacement batteries are generic crap, are there any that have a higher capacity than stock or are near as good as stock?

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

bluetooth can interfere with 2g wifi

or maybe ur antenna isnt working/connected

reinstall windows and drivers before you ever assume hardware is issue

i own two of these
https://www.trendtechcn.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=325

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL

Well shoot, now I have a bricked bios and a USB Programmer CH341A on the way to fix it.

Got lucky with unlocking a whole ton of options but I ran into issues with using UBU to mess with the id of my 4720hq to allow it to put out more power. At least a tool with a clip at $8 is far cheaper and easier than replacing the whole chip.

Or hell, I could pick up this replacement motherboard and have a little upgrade at the same time
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Prestige-PE70-17-3-Laptop-i7-6700HQ-2-6Ghz-Geforce-GTX-960M-Motherboard/123643864886?hash=item1cc9bfa736:g:5FIAAOSwUPlcZA1W
Do you kill a lot of electronic hardware you own?

adamTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Do you kill a lot of electronic hardware you own?

Considering it's not dead and fully recoverable, I'd have to say: No, I don't. 

Overall that's a weak jab considering the hundreds of threads involving failed unmodified BIOS updates. But thank you for your valuable contribution to this topic nonetheless.

bluetooth can interfere with 2g wifi or maybe ur antenna isnt working/connected reinstall windows and drivers before you ever assume hardware is issue i own two of these https://www.trendtechcn.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=325

Of course one should never assume hardware is an issue if you haven't tried software solutions. All of the problems I've stated this machine has, have persisted through 5-6 various Windows 8/10 installs, literally a dozen linux distros and even running mac os as a hackintosh once. We won't even get into how many drivers I tried since MSI decided to abandon supporting its reskinned ge72 apache like 6 months after release.

Bluetooth has been disabled for approx 99% of the time I've owned the machine, so that might not be an issue. Everything is connected quite solidly, I've had this thing apart more times than I could possibly count trying to solve the pure garbage cooling solution MSI used which had made be well versed on how things need to be.  That external wifi card is nice and all but the point of this laptop is to minimize what I bring with me, I only need it and a charger when flying for conferences and whatnot. I had read in the past that some internal cards were better than others but who knows.

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

get this one

https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AC1900-WiFi-Adapter-Long-Range/dp/B01MZD7Z76/

it can mount on the back of your laptop display with 4X5dbi antennas sticking up, you'll have way better and longe range reception

adamTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that.

In other news I successfully used the CH341A programmer to reflash the bios and my ge72vr heatsink came in. The heatsink is a perfect fit and will make a massive difference in thermals. The only minor hiccup is the fans are 4 wire vs the 3 wire the PE70 uses. I should be able to simply swap CPU fans between them and swap GPU fan connectors to make it work. It'll be nice to have the old portable workhorse working again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up