Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with memory  (Read 309 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

thanosTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Problem with memory
« on: 18-May-19, 21:59:32 »

Hello; I have the following:
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 7 2700x
Hyperx Kit 2x16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM XMP: [ HX430C15PB3K2/32 ]

Main problem:
I've installed the 2 pieces of the kit on the indicated (by MSI's manual) slots (DIMMA2 & DIMMB2); it seems that the motherboard really sees both of them on those slots (check the screenshot) but still the total ram that it recognizes is not the sum of the two, but just 16GB.  Everything else is "default" I just bought all these pieces and trying to setup this PC.  I updated the BIOS to latest and still nothing, cleared CMOS, still nothing...  Any ideas?  I don't want to use different slots for these memories because according to the manual these are the correct ones to install; so the whole thing *should* work the way I've installed everything.  Correct?

Secondary (maybe related?) problem:
Shouldn't the speed be 3000MHz by default?

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
Re: Problem with memory
« Reply #1 on: 19-May-19, 08:13:52 »

Hello,

1/ Update the bios to the VA.70 who "improves memory compatibility". Do not install the last version (VA.70) because it is buggy for current CPUs! For the update do that:
Keep only 1 RAM stick, plug it in DIMMA2 (2nd slot from CPU) then do a clear CMOS:
  . Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
  . Either
      . short JBAT1 during at least 20s
        (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or
      . remove the battery cell during 30mn.
  . Plug the power cord and power on.
  . You would have a message. Choose to use bios default values.
After that update bios with M-Flash:
- Download >>Bios VA.70<<.
- Take an USB pen with no more than 16GB (physical size) and only 1 partition.
  Verify it with CHKDSK.
- Unzip it and copy the file "E7B79AMS.A70" on the root of the USB pen.
- Boot and enter in Bios Setup. Press [F6], confirm, press [F10] and confirm. Pc should restart.
- Enter again in Bios Setup.
- Plug the USB pen into one port on the back panel (better to use a 2.0).

- Run M-Flash;
be cautious to not abort it before the end (can last up to 5mn).
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
Add the other RAM stick in DIMMB2 (last slot) then do a again a clear CMOS.

2/ If problem remains, try each DIMM slot with each RAM stick alone. What works and what does not?

Hoping it shall help,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

thanosTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 19-May-19, 12:33:02 »

Thanks for your reply!

But it looks like the motherboard won't let me DOWNGRADE to .A70 (it pretends there are no files on the usb stick).

(As I said I had already upgraded to .A90.)

HOWEVER: In the process of following your steps, I removed the memory you suggested, reset the CMOS with the jumper, etc. and noticed on the bios the option "Try It" under the memory OC menu, so I manually set the speed to the correct (NOT OC'ed) speed of 3000MHz.  Then I installed the 2nd memory to DIMMB2 and somehow it worked.  ("Screenshot" attached.)
Notice that bios version is still the same, but speed and total sum of RAM is now correct.

Does the motherboard somehow think that this is OC for this Ram?
Marked as best answer by thanos on 20-May-19, 04:29:51

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #3 on: 19-May-19, 12:51:47 »

Hello,

But it looks like the motherboard won't let me DOWNGRADE to .A70 (it pretends there are no files on the usb stick).
(As I said I had already upgraded to .A90.)
1/ In fact, I had not noted taht you had already updated to VA.90. This why you cannot load VA.70: AMD (not MSI) refuses any downgrade from VA.90 so that you cannot use M-Flash and Flashback+. Fortunately, the tool >>Flash tool[1.06] for MSI UEFI BIOS<< can downgrade. It has been developped by one forum's administrator, is reliable and has already saved many users.
In conclusion, if you see bugs with your configuration, do not hesitate: downgarde using Flash Tool with >>Bios VA.70<< (E7B79AMS.A70).

Notice that bios version is still the same, but speed and total sum of RAM is now correct.
Does the motherboard somehow think that this is OC for this Ram?
2/ Good news, happy for you! :pompom:
I really believe that it works now because you have unplugged the RAM stick then plugged it back then did the Clear CMOS as I explained . Try it is not related! :yes:
My advice is, now that the 2 RAM sticks are gooldly recognized and usable in DIMMA2 and DIMMB2, activate the A-XMP Profile 2 (2933MHz) then increase frequency at 3000MHz. It should work! After that verifyy system stability with >>MemTest86<<: at least 2 passes of full tests.
- Abort the tests if there is error, decrease a little frequency (2933MHz) in bios (keeping A-XMP activated) and retry with MemTest86. And, so on...
- If there is none error, congratulation, the 2 RAM sticks will be used in double channel and at 3000MHz! :biggthumbsup:
Have a good day,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

thanosTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 20-May-19, 03:29:08 »

Ah, I'm sorry, if it wasn't "Try It", it was an option right above/below it, one that was [Auto], and I changed to [DDR4 3000Hz].  This immediately worked with the 1 slot installed, then I installed the second one and everything worked.  Thanks for your help!

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #5 on: 20-May-19, 06:25:04 »

You are :welcome: 
Friendly yours,
Pages: [1]   Go Up