Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Trident 3, power offs, rma fail  (Read 4812 times)

christiantmweberTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
MSI Trident 3, power offs, rma fail
« on: 02-July-17, 16:43:55 »

Hey, I would like to ask you for some advice.

Here's my story:

I bought an MSI Trident barebones a few months ago, and I was in general very happy with, except for one thing: When playing some graphics intensive games it tends to shut down suddenly. For a machine sold as a gaming PC this is a bit unfortunate.
We are talking here about a complete and sudden switch off in some games and also benchmarks like the Heaven Benchmark

The machine is rather small so I was thinking overheating first. However, I was able to exclude an overheating issue by stress testing it. Neither CPU nor GPU got hotter than 75°C even after running these tests for a while. So this is a bit warm maybe, but nowhere near where it is an issue. Which is also a bit unfortunate, because I could have done something against overheating. 
Either way, expecting that the underlying issue was with a tripping power supply (an external one that came with the barebones Trident) I decided to call MSI and get an RMA number, because I couldn't fix or test the power supply issue myself, a replacement one would have been $100+ or so, and I was still having warranty.

So I got the RMA number, and paid for shipping of the whole PC. Because MSI wouldn't send me a replacement power supply, and who knows, maybe there's a a deeper issue with the graphics card or whatever. 

Long story short, I got the RMA'ed pc back today, and it still shuts down within 3 minutes of running the Heaven Benchmark. Adding insult to injury the RMA packing list states that the PC was overheating, the CPU fan was cleaned, the bios updates and the PC tested ok. I believe the PC tested ok, doing low power things was never the issue, but things like gaming. Which they must not have tested, despite me including a description on how to reproduce the faulty behavior.

So now I have a ~$40 CPU fan cleaning on a few months old cpu fan and a gaming pc that shuts down when gaming.

Had anyone a similar experience? Or some advice? It looks like MSI Trident power supply issues are not uncommon, as some people have reported completely dysfunctional ones in this tread.
Any advice would be appreciated.

badboy2k

• Global Moderator
Re: MSI Trident 3, power offs, rma fail
« Reply #1 on: 02-July-17, 17:39:08 »

have you tested to see if its a Memory Issue? >>Memtest86<< 

also can you check to see if the VRM's on the board are getting very hot? using some monitoring software!
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 (bios 1.17) AM3
Processor:AMD phenom IIx4 955 black edition 3.2GHz processor(Clock speed of 4GHz)
Cooler: corsair H100 cooler
Ram: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz ram (2 dual channel kits model: CMP8GX3M2A1600C9) (underclocked at 1333MHz)
GPU: 1: MSI R7870 -2GD5T/OC @ 1155mhz , 2: MSI R7850-Twin Frozer 2GD5/OC @ 925mhz
PSU: Thermaltake tougthpower 1500W (+12v1 20A, +12v2 20A, +12v3 40A, +12v4 40A) (+12v1=20+4 connector, +12v2=CPU power, +12v3=PCI_E connections, +12v4 = molex+sata+PCI_E connectors  )
Extras: 1 x 4 port raid card (model SIL3114) ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card PCI-E X1.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 02-July-17, 20:07:56 »

Thank you for the suggestions!

I just did two iterations of tests with the Memtest86 that you suggested. All of the tests passed and there were no errors.

And I downloaded HWiNFO64 in addition to the Open Hardware Monitor, the former seems to have more detailled sensor information. But neither show VRM temperature, so I assume there's no VRM temperature sensor.

Either way, I ran the Heaven Benchmark again, this time with an open case and an extra outside fan, just to definitely exclude overheating. The computer shut off again within 3 minutes, while the highest temperature measured was the GPU one at 68°C. This seems to exclude overheating as an explanation.

Nidhoggr

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #3 on: 02-July-17, 20:10:40 »

Does the Event Viewer show anything?

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 02-July-17, 21:02:23 »

Which Event Viewer do you mean?

Nidhoggr

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #5 on: 02-July-17, 21:06:51 »

The Windows Event Viewer.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 02-July-17, 21:12:50 »

Ah, thank you!

There are a very few critical events. All indicating that the system shut down suddenly:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Yang

• AIO Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 02-July-17, 21:15:07 »

For this question, please provide some information as below to us for this system you used:
1.Serial number on the back cover and on the box.
It is SOP how to check it as below link:
http://www.msi.com/page/warranty
2.The number:9S6-xxxx-xxx that you can find it on the box.

3.Brand and model name for all configuration that not shipping together with this systme.
4.What graphic card is installed?

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 02-July-17, 21:37:00 »

Hey Yang,

thank you for getting involved!

1) The serial number is MSB906GAS0103435

2) I think the number on the box you are asking for is 936-B90611-001

3) The Model came with a graphics card, so I only installed : an Intel Core i5-6600, 8GB of Team Elite DDR4 2133 ram, and a 500GB M.2 Sata Samsung 850 EVO SSD

4) That would be the nvidia GeForce 1060 with 6GB that comes with the MSI Trident

withersdavis

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 14-July-17, 10:12:58 »

Hi - I have a possible solution for you. I had the same exact issue that you reported, and was about to RMA my Trident for the second time. Just to make sure I did some more research and I found that a sound driver conflict has been known to cause the same issue. This is specific to the NVIDIA sound drivers - which I believe are only used if you are using HDMI audio. 

I disabled these devices and the computer has been stable ever since.

Steps:

Open Device Manager
Expand Sound, video and game controllers
Right click on NVIDIA High Definition Audio and click disable device
Do the same with NVIDIA Virdual Audio Device (WDM)

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #10 on: 06-August-17, 13:55:07 »

Hey withersdavis,

Thank you for the suggestion. I was looking forward to try your advice, but I had send my Trident already in for a second RMA. In hindsight this was a bad decision.

When I got my computer back from the second RMA it came with the power supply. Which is just bad. So I had to call the support again. I called twice, and in each instance they promised to call me back. It seemed like the costumer service representatives called the repair shop while I was on the phone, and they couldn't find the power supply. The call back never materialized, but I got eventually a shipment with a power supply.

Unfortunately the computer is now not turning on anymore at all. When I press the power button, its light goes on for a moment and the graphics card fan starts to spin, just to stop a second later.

So now, 3 RMA shipments later, I am out $40+ and a whole working PC.

rafferty.uy

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #11 on: 17-December-17, 17:08:23 »

Hello, I am experiencing the same problem. Did you get this resolved? What was the solution?
I played Starcraft 2 and my MSI Trident 3 (GTX 1070) suddenly shut down. This happened 2x.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #12 on: 18-December-17, 13:27:46 »

Hey, congrats on getting the 1070 version! And sorry to hear that you have the same problem.

It should have been resolved by now. Allegedly a software problem that should be remediable buy re-installing windows. But I hadn't had a chance to test the computer yet to any greater degree. It arrived after I went abroad for work for some time.

rafferty.uy

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #13 on: 23-December-17, 00:32:22 »

Thanks for the response. So it's been working for you since you got it back? your last post before this was August 2017 so I assume that the issue has not reoccurred since then?
I brought my US-purchased Trident out of the country so RMA isn't an option for me. Reinstall windows? Really?

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #14 on: 04-January-18, 21:44:10 »

I had been out of the country since August and while I was gone I couldn't of course check on the computer. (and the computer was in RMA while I was leaving, so I couldn't take it with me)
 However, I recently returned and was able to put it through its paces and it seems to be working alright now. No unexpected shutdowns for the time being.

So maybe it was a software bug? If you ended up reinstalling windows, I would be curious to hear if it changed anything.

badboy2k

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: 04-January-18, 22:03:04 »

thank you for reporting back that its working and have fun with your Trident 3
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 (bios 1.17) AM3
Processor:AMD phenom IIx4 955 black edition 3.2GHz processor(Clock speed of 4GHz)
Cooler: corsair H100 cooler
Ram: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz ram (2 dual channel kits model: CMP8GX3M2A1600C9) (underclocked at 1333MHz)
GPU: 1: MSI R7870 -2GD5T/OC @ 1155mhz , 2: MSI R7850-Twin Frozer 2GD5/OC @ 925mhz
PSU: Thermaltake tougthpower 1500W (+12v1 20A, +12v2 20A, +12v3 40A, +12v4 40A) (+12v1=20+4 connector, +12v2=CPU power, +12v3=PCI_E connections, +12v4 = molex+sata+PCI_E connectors  )
Extras: 1 x 4 port raid card (model SIL3114) ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card PCI-E X1.

mcfancher

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #16 on: 04-June-19, 14:36:45 »

I am now having this issue with my Trident 3 Arctic.  I'm unsure of what to do to resolve this issue as I can't seem to find any real fixes or the "why" its happening.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 04-June-19, 14:46:21 »

Please open own thread instead of resurrecting old one. >>Please read and comply with the Forum Rules.<<
Most likely however you will need to RMA the machine.

:nichlock:
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32
Pages: [1]   Go Up