Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI / SteelSeries 3 keyboard problem  (Read 5865 times)

magnusrentTopic starter

• CORPORAL

I have a new MSI GT62VR 6RE which has a problem with the keyboard. Sometimes when I press and release a key, the system does not register that the key has been released and writes a sequence of letters like thissssssssssssssssss, even though I did release the s-key immediately. It can happen with any key including tab and space. I have seen other people mention this problem as well so it is clearly a problem with the software or hardware and not something I have installed. The PC is brand new and I have not spilled any liquids into it.

I believe the PC is running SteelSeries Engine 3. I tried opening the task manager and terminating the SteelSeries core program that was running, but the keyboard still has the sticky-keys problem.

I am using a dual-boot system with Linux and I can't recall whether I've experienced this problem in Linux. So it might be an issue with the Windows driver for the keyboard.

I have experienced this problem in Google Chrome, Notepad and WordPad on Windows 10.

Does anyone know a fix for this? Is MSI / SteelSeries working on a fix?

I would probably consider taking the laptop back for a refund because of this problem, but I have already spent a week installing software on it. But unless it gets fixed ASAP then I probably won't be an MSI customer again. I have never experienced problems like this in decades of using many different PC's.

sportkung

• CAPTAIN
Re: MSI / SteelSeries 3 keyboard problem
« Reply #1 on: 29-December-16, 22:33:31 »

Have your restored all keys back to default in SteelSeries Engine3?

You also could try opening the [Screen Keyboard] and check if there any key be pressed or stuck.

Besides, maybe you could export the whole system information by latest Help Desk and post that info in here. Let forum guys to help you to check the system configuration and software environment.

magnusrentTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #2 on: 14-January-17, 02:11:20 »

Thanks for the ideas.

I will just write my experience in case it might help others in the future.

I wrote SteelSeries support about this issue but they said that they actually don't manufacture the keyboards in MSI laptops, they just provide the designs and the brand-name. So they couldn't help with this issue. And the MSI support team generally does not respond.

I've searched the internet and it seems that this problem occurs for different brands of computers and different version of Windows, especially Windows 10. Nobody has been able to figure out why.

There are some workarounds e.g. by enabling Filter Keys in Windows and/or adjust the Repeat Delay and Repeat Rate. But these alter the way the keyboard responds in general, which I did not want.

Here are some of the things I did:

I have updated the keyboard driver to the newest. I don't know if this helped.

I also had two keyboard layouts installed that I could switch between with a hot-key, one layout for US keyboard and another for a European language. I decided to use Microsoft Keyboard Creator to make a keyboard layout with the few special keys that I need on top of the US keyboard, which are activated with Alt-Gr. I installed this keyboard layout instead so I only have a single keyboard layout active now. I suspected that the switch-function might incur a little delay for the keyboard driver and that this might be the cause of the repeating keys.

Since I made these changes I haven't noticed the repeating keys that much. I think it has only happened a couple of times for a few weeks. I still don't know what triggers it. It might be when the harddrive (SSD) and CPU is really busy. But I'm not sure.

I thought about contacting Microsoft, but the problem happens so infrequently and I don't know how to reproduce it, so it is hard to locate the cause of the problem.

deivamagalhaes

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 29-March-17, 21:52:30 »

Good news is they launched a firmware update for it:
[th]Type[/th]
Firmware
[th]Title[/th]
EC Firmware
[th]Release Date[/th]
2017-03-21
[th]Version[/th]
14A3EMS1.104
[th]File Size[/th]
1.01 MB
[th]File[/th]
Download
[th]Description[/th]
1.The “Cooler Boost” option in Dragon Center now works the same as the quick launch key “Cooler Boost” button. 
2.Patch for the SteelSeries Engine 3 keeps repeating one specific key when multiple keys are pressing at the same time.

Bad news is I installed it and am still having the issue. :(

magnusrentTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #4 on: 13-September-17, 22:58:04 »

It appears that the problem with the stuck keys on the MSI GT62VR 6RE in Windows 10 only occurs when I am running the laptop PC in power saving mode. This is important to me because I need to run the laptop PC on the battery in power saving mode.

It is either a problem in the MSI / SteelSeries keyboard driver, or the Windows 10 keyboard driver. Who should I contact to get this bug fixed? As I wrote above, SteelSeries does not actually manufacture this keyboard, they just license the brand-name to MSI, and it appears that MSI does not actually monitor / respond to messages in this forum.

I have not updated the firmware and would prefer not to do it unless it really fixes the problem, because I don't want to take the risk of the firmware update crashing my system. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed by a recent firmware update?

As another experiment I could try and increase the CPU priority level for the keyboard driver. Any idea what I should try, without breaking my system?

jckmail

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 12-June-19, 11:54:58 »

My Steel Keys keep breaking on my laptop keyboard. 
MSI repaired them once. 
Going back for a 2nd time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up