Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard malfunction  (Read 598 times)

daosbesTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Keyboard malfunction
« on: 23-June-19, 07:59:42 »

Hi everyone!

I'll try to put this simple as possible. After some hours rest, I turned on my MSI PS42 8rb Prestige and the keyboard stopped to work properly; some keys don't work as supposed to do. It's not a matter of keyboard language. For example, the number keys are working on this way:

Key -> "What's doing"
1 -> (open help)
2 -> write: <82
3 -> write: 93
4 -> write: 04
5 -> write: 5 in a text box (if there is one in the current window)
6 -> write: i6
7 -> write: k7
8 -> write: <82
9 -> write: 93
0 -> write: 04

As you see, any key is doing what it's supposed to do it.

Additional info: The only unusual thigh that I did after turn off my laptop was that I used a laptop cleaning spray and clean all key board with it and a towel. I already verified the drivers, restarted the laptop, verified that there are not dust or something like that on the keyboard (I didn’t dissemble the keyboard). Until now, the only solution I found, it is used an external keyboard.

Any comment or solutions about this problem?

Thanks in advance!!

sunscreen

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
Re: Keyboard malfunction
« Reply #1 on: 23-June-19, 17:22:39 »

Please see keyboard configuration  
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=249113.msg1433631#msg1433631
http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-1550.html

How old is your computer?  Is it still covered by warranty?
This looks like a software issue that can be fixed by installing latest version of drivers for the keyboard,
or it may be caused by a Windows update that can be fixed by going back to the previous version of Windows.

daosbesTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 25-June-19, 08:14:01 »

Hi everyone!

I'll try to put this simple as possible. After some hours rest, I turned on my MSI PS42 8rb Prestige and the keyboard stopped to work properly; some keys don't work as supposed to do. It's not a matter of keyboard language. For example, the number keys are working on this way:

Key -> "What's doing"
1 -> (open help)
2 -> write: <82
3 -> write: 93
4 -> write: 04
5 -> write: 5 in a text box (if there is one in the current window)
6 -> write: i6
7 -> write: k7
8 -> write: <82
9 -> write: 93
0 -> write: 04

As you see, any key is doing what it's supposed to do it.

Additional info: The only unusual thigh that I did after turn off my laptop was that I used a laptop cleaning spray and clean all key board with it and a towel. I already verified the drivers, restarted the laptop, verified that there are not dust or something like that on the keyboard (I didn’t dissemble the keyboard). Until now, the only solution I found, it is used an external keyboard.

Any comment or solutions about this problem?

Thanks in advance!!

daosbesTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 27-June-19, 04:42:01 »

Hi Sunscreen!
Sorry for the late response but I didn't have rights to reply your comment. I bought the computer 7 or 8 months ago, so I could say that is "new". Latest version of drivers have been installed but the problem is still present. Also, I did a factory reset on my laptop but the problem is still there.

I also have followed some suggestion from Windows forum (I posted the questions also there: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/keyboard-malfunction-inbuilt-keyboard/1df105d7-fef5-4ce7-9483-81a2a3dc1ad5?messageId=ddbfea42-64ae-464f-b826-f5a2e7e4e225

After all these things, the problem persists.

Any other idea?

Thanks

daosbesTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 27-June-19, 08:30:34 »

Hi Sunscreen!
Sorry for the late response but I didn't have rights to reply your comment. I bought the computer 7 or 8 months ago, so I could say that is "new". Latest version of drivers have been installed but the problem is still present. Also, I did a factory reset on my laptop but the problem is still there.

I also have followed some suggestion from Windows forum (I posted the questions also there: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/keyboard-malfunction-inbuilt-keyboard/1df105d7-fef5-4ce7-9483-81a2a3dc1ad5?messageId=ddbfea42-64ae-464f-b826-f5a2e7e4e225

After all these things, the problem persists.

Any other idea?

Thanks

In summary have tried the following:
- Keyboard Troubleshooter: After execution, anything to fix, neither error or warning message.
- System restore I did a factory reset, so system restore does not make any change.
- Updates checking: As I did factory reset, there were nothing to review.
- Keyboard driver: I have already tried it. I did it again, but nothing change. (update, uninstall, re-install)
- Safe mode: The keyboard works bad in safe mode too.
- Repair mode: Apparently everything works fine because the repair mode did not find anything to fix.
- Remap keyboard keys: I tried this option, but I could not solve the problem. The interesting thing here is the following: When I was trying to remap the keys with SharpKeys software, if I used the "Type Key" function, the software recognized the correct key. However, I mapped the number 2 key to 'A'. After that, every time that I press number 2 key, it will type '<8a' instead of '<82'. So, could I say that this is not a hardware problem? What do you think?
- BIOS: An update is needed. After updating it, the problem persists.
- sfc /scannow: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows update from 1803 to 1903: Now, windows is updated but the keyboard is not working properly

sunscreen

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 03-July-19, 19:27:57 »

Wow, that is quite a lot.  If the computer is still covered by warranty, please contact MSI support.

daosbesTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 17-July-19, 14:43:04 »

Thank you. Yes, it's still covered by warranty, I'll contact MSI Support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up