Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung M378A4G43MB1-CTD memory compatibility for MEG X399 Creation?  (Read 244 times)

ubyu.netTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong category on the forum.

I was wondering however if anyone might know whether the memory, now becoming more commonly available, Samsung M378A4G43MB1-CTD (32GB M-die UDIMM) will be compatible with the MSI MEG X399 Creation or whether a BIOS update might be needed (if one is ever produced to support this memory). Furthermore would I possibly be able to install 256GB of this RAM, or would I be subject to a possible BIOS update at some point in the future (if one is made)? I don't want to potentially buy 8 sticks of this memory and find it was a waste of money. I'm using the 2990WX CPU, but want the maximum possible memory available for it. As I run an ATLAS cluster, I could do with a bit more memory capacity and realise that the 2990WX could take more than 128GB RAM if the motherboard supported it and if there's higher density memory modules (like the one I mentioned).

I've obviously checked the memory compatibility list and naturally it doesn't show any support for 32GB modules, at the moment anyway, just hoping that it might be supported in the future though.

Thanks in advance.

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

ubyu.net, you ask some very interesting questions.  Only MSI can answer some and you may just be on your own on others.  All I have seen says 128 GB is the maximum memory, but at the time there were no 32 GB Sticks.  MSI may be able to help here and I would encourage you to open a ticket and ask.  I noticed that AnandTech has an article, so be sure to read it and search for more information on the memory.  Good luck and please let us hear what you learn.  Enjoy, John.
MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,
Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.130, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

ubyu.netTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Indeed, I thought I'd ask here first just in case. I'm reluctant to try a ticket as I don't know whether customer service will actually pass the question to an engineer and not just tell me the official specifications from their website. Maybe I'll open a ticket tomorrow and hope.

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

ubyu.net, you can also call them.  Click on SERVICE above and follow it till it gives you a phone number for your area.  Has worked well for me.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,
Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.130, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

ubyu.netTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

ubyu.net, you can also call them.  Click on SERVICE above and follow it till it gives you a phone number for your area.  Has worked well for me.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

Well I contacted them, but as expected they just pointed me to the motherboard specifications page. So, unless I didn't get through to someone with knowledge of a possible BIOS update, it appears they have no plans on supporting 32GB modules sadly so I guess I may not be buying another MSI board next time, given that another brand actually added support for 32GB modules in one of their Intel chipset boards from what I thought I saw on the news not too long ago (and hopefully certain AMD chipsets to follow). Unfortunate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up