Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU Fan Curve: no way to save it!  (Read 889 times)

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
CPU Fan Curve: no way to save it!
« on: 12-June-19, 08:19:38 »

It's since...like 2014 (or more) that ALL your MSI Motherboards have a big Software issue in BIOS.

Normally, MSI BIOS allows to modify CPU (and other fans) Fan Curve, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to save it. If you modify it in BIOS, the fan Works as set, but after rebooting, the fan curve will just reset to stock.

It's not a bug, it's a missing feature, that have completely no sense. A lot of peoples in MSI Forums talked about that, but no one did something about it.

How it's possible??

There is a way to solve this? MSI will do something about?

Thanks in advance.

gubment.cheez

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Re: CPU Fan Curve: no way to save it!
« Reply #1 on: 12-June-19, 11:42:29 »

I have an MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon using BIOS v7B78v28 and I can save the fan curves in the BIOS with no problem.

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #2 on: 12-June-19, 14:55:00 »

I have an MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon using BIOS v7B78v28 and I can save the fan curves in the BIOS with no problem.
I have same board with same BIOS, how do you save it? There is no option to save it, and even if you press F10 it will say "nothing modified, want to reboot?"

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #3 on: 13-June-19, 03:41:50 »

UP

pandaz

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #4 on: 13-June-19, 03:54:09 »

1. Try first to turn off the power supply and clear CMOS.
2. If problem persist, try to provide pictures on how you are actually modifying the bios curves.
3. Try to tell use the CPU and the CPU fan that you are using?  where did you plug the fan (to which fan connector?)

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #5 on: 13-June-19, 03:58:47 »

1 I cleared CMOS many times (to test RAM) and no, nothing change.

2 From the only way its possible to in BIOS, from Hardware Monitor and manually setting the curve (f10 says "Nothing changed, want to reboot?")

3 I have same problem on 2 mobo with 2 different cpus, one with Ryzen 2700X on X470 Gaming carbon (stock cooler) and one with Ryzen 1700 (stock cooler) on a B450 Gaming Plus. On the right port. I'm a pretty advanced pc builder and i always follow manual instruction. CPU_FAN1.

It's not my fault, it's a BUG that a lot of peoples, like me, have.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #6 on: 13-June-19, 07:24:23 »

I have same problem on 2 mobo with 2 different cpus, one with Ryzen 2700X on X470 Gaming carbon (stock cooler) and one with Ryzen 1700 (stock cooler) on a B450 Gaming Plus.
- Is the X470 Gaming Pro Carbon with bios V280 or V2.92?
- Is the B450 Gaming Plus with bios V1.70 or V1.81?
If yes in the 2 cases, that could explained because these bios versions, who add no more than "support new upcoming AMD cpu", are very buggy for current CPUs. Try to downgrade for one mobo...
BUT, because AMD (not MSI) refuses any downgrade from these AGESA versions, M-Flash refuses to run; Flashback+ also does nothing. Fortunately, >>Flash tool[1.06] for MSI UEFI BIOS<< can! It is a reliable tool developped by one forum's administrator who has already saved many users. Use it with: (be cautious to use the good bios for each mobo)
- >>Bios V2.60<< (E7B78AMS.260) for the X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
- >>Bios V1.50<< (E7B86AMS.150) for the B450 Gaming Plus
Hoping it shall help,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #7 on: 13-June-19, 07:35:29 »

I had both motherboards with old bios (B450 with 1.50, X470 with one older that i cant remember), and had same problem.

After that, i upgraded to the latest stable (not beta) and i had same problem, so nope, there is no link between this problem and bios version. It's more a missing feature than i bug i suppose. No way to save fan curve. Absolutely no way, no saving option.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #8 on: 13-June-19, 08:17:01 »

:undecided:
1/ Please do again a clear CMOS:  (I know you have already done, it is only to verify something)
- Either
    . short JBAT1 during at least 20s
      (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or
    . remove the battery cell during 30mn.
- Plug the power cord and power on.
- When asked, choose to use bios default values.
Restart then enter in bios setup. Do nothing else than click on Hardware Monitor, chek the Smart box and move one point of the curve. Press [F10]. Result?
2/ Have you installed Command or Dragon Center?
Have a good day,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #9 on: 13-June-19, 08:27:17 »

Done.

1 F10 result after moving some points of the curve "Nothing modified. Reboot?"

2 No. And i don't have windows software to control or modify FANS, so it's not a OS conflict software problem.

Let me understand: How do you (personally) save fan curve? Pressing F10 show something different from me on your screen? Because there are at least other 4-5 topics like mine that shows EXACTLY mine identical problem, so there are 2 possibilities: or there isn't a way to save the curve or maybe XMP interfer with it (as someone said in one other topic). If this is the case, it's still a BUG that should be resolved.

(in case you're asking, i have no reason to try if fan curve works with XMP disabled, because, if even works, i have no reason to use the motherboard with XMP disabled, and it still will point out that its a bug)

gubment.cheez

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #10 on: 13-June-19, 13:44:15 »

Response to Private Message

Here is a graphical walkthrough of how I edit my fan curves.
Should be self-explanatory.
When you are done, make sure you Save Configuration and Exit, even if it says you have not made any changes to the bios settings.
At the end I have a screenshot of MSI Command Center showing the updated curves in Windows.

########################################
For advanced mode setup is a bit quicker
####################################

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #11 on: 13-June-19, 13:55:37 »

I did the same, but the BIOS don't save the changes. FAN just reset. If i reboot, it works. If i shut down and boot it up, nothing, FAN reset.

Had you tryied modifying CPU FAN? Maybe Sysfan works for you, buy CPU FAN Curve don't.

I'll try to flash your BIOS version on the X470, maybe this will resolve the problem there, but not on B450.

pandaz

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #12 on: 13-June-19, 20:42:14 »

when you just move the 4 points in the fan (both CPU or system fan) and press  F10, it is normal to show nothing is modified but actually it is really modified in my case.
but if you try to change remove the check from smart fan then it will show message that something is modify.

if you could tell us step by step on how you test the problem, then it will be easier for us to understand your issue.

pandaz

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #13 on: 14-June-19, 02:21:43 »

if possible tell us your test configuration and also if there are any other settings that you modified in the bios.

please also help explain the below, you mentioned reboot is ok already so how did you do it, kindly explain step by step, can't quite understand how you done it?
I did the same, but the BIOS don't save the changes. FAN just reset. If i reboot, it works. If i shut down and boot it up, nothing, FAN reset.

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #14 on: 14-June-19, 03:25:39 »

So maybe removing "Smart Fan" it will save it?

I did nothing special to modify the curve, same method (step by step) as kindly showed by screenshots above, but with CPU FAN obviously.

No, a part AXMP i have no special settings in my BIOS.

About the reboot, i did nothing special, with the screenshot method, if i reboot, it works, but just need a shut down to reset it (so it's useless).

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #15 on: 14-June-19, 03:53:19 »

Actually, i updated the BIOS on B450 Gaming Plus on 7B86v17 and now fan control it's working, now it saves the settings i set on it. Seems like previous BIOS versions are bugged as hell about fan curve. Hope ill resolve the same way on X470.

dvair

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
    • Vair Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 14-June-19, 12:46:02 »

Pretty sure Smart Fan being checked is the cause of your issues.  Smart Fan will override any changes you make to your curve.

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #17 on: 14-June-19, 17:48:20 »

Ah, i'll try disabling it so, thanks

gubment.cheez

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #18 on: 14-June-19, 19:07:21 »

Hello Salvo, I've configured all of my fans, CPU, Pump, Sys1, 2, 3, & 4, in this manner, I just chose the Sys Fan 1 because I was already planning on adjusting its curve.
Pretty sure Smart Fan being checked is the cause of your issues. Smart Fan will override any changes you make to your curve.
Smart Fan mode being checked is what allows the curve to be edited. Unchecking Smart Fan mode causes the fan to operate at a specific voltage instead of dynamically in response to temperatures. I'll grab a screenshot of the different mode in a few minutes and post it here.

Edit:
here are the screenshots of Smart Fan Mode being disabled. It's pretty obvious what it does if you have ever successfully used it.

As a reminder in case someone is just jumping in, this is what my fan curve looks like when SFM is enabled

And this is what it's like disabled.

You can drag the red dot up and down to adjust the voltage

and the fan speed will adjust accordingly (as expected)

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #19 on: 15-June-19, 11:15:20 »

@gubment.cheez thanks for the screenshots, those are really helping me. Yes, unchecking Smart fan its useless, cant edit fan curve that way.

Good news boys: it's a BIOS bug related problem. On v15 BIOS on B450 Gaming Plus, FAN Curve can't be saved. It just dont save it, i tryied every way, every mode, nothing: it just reset. I Updated to 1.70 and now it say "Nothing saved, want to reboot?" but now, at least, it saves it. If i shut down the system, and i boot it up, the fan curve remain saved finally.

I'll try updating the BIOS on X470 Gaming Carbon too and i'll let you know if it works even there. Thanks to everyone.

gubment.cheez

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #20 on: 15-June-19, 11:26:58 »

Probably not a bug per se on older firmware revisions, just a feature that hasn't been implemented™ :bonk:

salvocirmiTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #21 on: 15-June-19, 14:19:44 »

I prefer calling it a bug, because if i should consider it as a feature, would mean that all FAN settings are completely useless (and i don't think that MSI devs are so sadists).

pandaz

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #22 on: 20-June-19, 01:02:01 »

Glad that the problem is fixed :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up