Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The i7 8750h of my gl63 8rd throttles thouugh the temperature is low at most 75c  (Read 452 times)

mohnahedTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I have msi gl63 8rd with gtx 1050ti, i7 8750h, 16gb of ram "its frequency is 2666mhz" .
The laptop cooling system is so great. Temperature doesn't exceed 75c.
But I face power throttle in some games, for example, pes 19 and need for speed payback, the cpu throttles to 800mhz or 900mhz then it gets back to 3914mhz even though the temperature is low like 70 to 75c at most.
But in other games like Shadow of the tomb raider, the cpu stays steady and stable at 3914mhz all time, no throttle at all, I get 35 to 40 fps on ultra dx11 graphics settings.
I hope someone helps me to get stable 3914mhz on all games.
Again no thermal throttling, the temperature is always low, at most 75c.

shubhkirti.work

• PRIVATE E-2

So you run the games with Dragon Boost ON or OFF? Try switching it ON if not.

mohnahedTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I run the games with turbo boost on, also the power mode is high rather than power saver. Everything is maxed, the cooling fans are maxed "cooler boost" as well.

pennknig

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

I run the games with turbo boost on,
power mode is high 
 fans are maxed "cooler boost" as well.
Try this:
  • Dragon center Set to Sport and Advanced for fan control.
  • Power Options: High Performance>Maximum Processor State 97% (Or lower).
Processor set to 97% or lower cuts out Turbo Mode from running full time, it stops voltage and heat throttling. This setting affects DC's Turbo setting as its the final step to the processor. Setting DC to Sport and leaving PPM set to 100% will result in Turbo being used only when necessary.
Remember that after using Cooler Boost your fan control will return to Auto, and this is not an aggressive enough fan ramp speed setting for gaming, you will have to set to back to Advanced again.
I find that my notebook has an easier time keeping cool rather than trying to cool down from excessive heat.

mohnahedTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

@pennknig 
It still throttles. It didn't solve the problem.

mohnahedTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I wanna attach 2 pictures indicating the power limit I face, using system stability test.
In brief, it needs bios update which allows the cpu to consume at least stable 45 watt rather than 35 watt. 
The i7 8750h cpus on some other laptops consume 60 watt.

pennknig

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

@pennknig
It still throttles. It didn't solve the problem.
I had a CPU throttling issues caused by CPUID HWMonitor running when I had a game going.
Something that was supposed to help me identify an issue was causing a problem...(Go figure).
So what is causing this behaviour, it's just not identified yet.

mohnahedTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I wanna attach videos about the issue. 
In this video I used a very demanding application "xenia  Xbox 360 emulator on pc", the i7 8750h didn't consume more than 35 watt unfortunately. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A-Jj8BuQLA1qy-d1KS3P-waUXnX-6iCx/view?usp=drivesdk

Even though it can't consume more than 35 watt, on some games it can't consume stable steady 35 watt, it throttles to 800mhz or 900mhz with consumed wattage like 8 watt, 10 watt, 12 watt, causing very bad gaming experience. I'll attach a video of my device proving that later. 

Here's a video for person playing Witcher 3 and need for speed payback, the cpu throttles very badly, 800 mhz with consumed wattage of 8 watt.

Here's a video for a person playing Battlefield v on another brand laptop, it consumes from 39 to 40 watt, no power throttling at all. 

Actually I know that msi can do it by releasing a bios update. There's adequate cooling system "2 big fans and 7 cooling pipes". No one can help except msi by releasing that bios update which fixes the power limit issue "unstable 35 watt" and which makes the cpu consume stable 45 watt.
No apps "xtu or throttlestop" helped me to fix power throttle issue.

porschefan76

• SERGEANT

Hi Mohnahed, others are having the same issue and have come to similar findings as you. I've got an open Support Request with MSI that hasn't been responded to yet. Others with the same/similar issue here:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=311865.0

mohnahedTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Here are my own videos while running Need for speed payback and PES 19. They have power throttle. The wattage in Need for speed payback is so horrible, every short time it throttles to 9 watt then it gets back to 33 watt. My cpu didn't exceed 35 watt at all unfortunately.
I hope anyone who can contact the admins to inform them about my issue. 

Need for speed payback 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MeWZVATVCoiFPsHa-2MgMnSIENsHJ_os/view?usp=drivesdk

PES 19
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RJZdnBNbT5PmI4cCR245jAiVUQa0q7W5/view?usp=drivesdk

porschefan76

• SERGEANT

Not sure if you're still following this thread, but try uninstalling MSI Dragon Center and removing the associated files in C:/ProgramData. This finally fixed my 25W TDP issue.

mohnahedTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

@porschefan76 So the tdp of the cpu became 45 watt or what?

next3r

• STAFF SERGEANT

bios any options oc menu ? vr limit and power limit missing ? ,. i7 8750h is normal cpu ,,if you throttle to max 45w ,. need test undervolt or lower freq set ,,cpu ratio for cores down ,,use 1-2core high ratio and other lower ., ,.msi realy use 45w ?? dragon center or others app not improve limit ?? my old i7 run around 100w .,ideal need 150w for normal use ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up