Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using keyboard backlight without Steel Series software  (Read 565 times)

tjmack321Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello yall,

I have the MSI GS65 Stealth THIN-050 laptop.  Is there a way to light the keyboard and control the brightness level without the Steel Series Engine software?

First thing I did when I got the laptop was wipe it and do a clean install of Windows.  Everything is working fine, just don't want to have to install extra software for no reason.  I don't need my keyboard all colorful and flashing, I just want to see the letters.

Thanks for any help!!

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
Re: Using keyboard backlight without Steel Series software
« Reply #1 on: 23-June-19, 01:09:00 »

my old dominators used to be white by default, i used to install steeleseries to get red then uninstall it and it would stay red

apache pro was red by default

raider is per key rainbow, so i install the software again to get red then uninstall it

the brightness can be controlled with FN key and + -
Click Here to:    Download Windows 10     Reinstall Graphics Driver     Update Bios

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #2 on: 23-June-19, 09:44:14 »

I have the MSI GS65 Stealth THIN-050 laptop.  
Is there a way to light the keyboard and control the brightness level without the Steel Series Engine software?
 I don't need my keyboard all colorful and flashing, I just want to see the letters.
Use the 'OFF' button?!
Alternatively, set your KB to white and leave it there.

annet

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #3 on: 25-June-19, 05:16:24 »

Hello yall,

I have the MSI GS65 Stealth THIN-050 laptop.  Is there a way to light the keyboard and control the brightness level without the Steel Series Engine software?

First thing I did when I got the laptop was wipe it and do a clean install of Windows.  Everything is working fine, just don't want to have to install extra software for no reason.  I don't need my keyboard all colorful and flashing, I just want to see the letters.

Thanks for any help!!
Don't think there's a way to do that without installing anything..
Do you mean you want the backlight to be completely gone or what? or only the letter part lights up?
Tried on my own GS65, after the clean install, the keyboard backlight doesn't even light up.

tjmack321Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 06-July-19, 16:03:39 »

Thanks all for the input.

RaiderGamer: That seems like it may be the only solution.  I may try it but don't like installing and uninstalling apps.

pennknig: That solution looks like it uses the software which I am trying to avoid.  I hate bloatware and find it annoying to need an unnecessary application just to turn on a keyboard backlight.

annet: Yes, after searching and searching I have not found a way to do it without installing the software.  I just want the letters light up so I can see them at night.  Right now all it does it continually flash them in a wave starting in the center and then working its way to the outer keys.  Annoying!  I'll probably be stubborn and just leave it, because I hate bloatware.

Thanks again yall and if you find a way at some point let me know.

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #5 on: 06-July-19, 16:58:50 »

i did a clean install and my keyboard was still red, which is weird because i thought the per key rainbow was the default color on the raiders

i had set red with steeleseries engine and uninstalled it and it stayed red and now it even stayed red through a clean usb os install
Click Here to:    Download Windows 10     Reinstall Graphics Driver     Update Bios

tjmack321Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 06-July-19, 17:15:15 »

Interesting!  The actual hardware of the keyboard must have some sort of memory where settings are stored!

tjmack321Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 06-July-19, 17:16:39 »

Let me ask this.  Have yall noticed if the Steelseries software slows down the comp at all?  Does it use excessive memory?  Is it always running in the background or can you shut it off?

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #8 on: 06-July-19, 18:52:08 »

you can uninstall it and still have the color u set, but the hardware button wont work to change colors, but the on off and brightness buttons work if your FN keys are working

i dont have steeleseries or dragon center installed

i think windows update got my FN buttons working

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #9 on: 06-July-19, 20:57:06 »

Let me ask this.  Have yall noticed if the Steelseries software slows down the comp at all?  Does it use excessive memory?  Is it always running in the background or can you shut it off?
AYKM?! ... 
Install it and find out for yourself, ITS SOFTWARE, YOU CAN DELETE IT AND INSTALL IT FOREVER.

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #10 on: 06-July-19, 21:18:06 »

i did a clean install and my keyboard was still red, which is weird because i thought the per key rainbow was the default color on the raiders

i had set red with steeleseries engine and uninstalled it and it stayed red and now it even stayed red through a clean usb os install
So your stuck on RED?

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #11 on: 06-July-19, 21:31:46 »

So your stuck on RED?

i can probobly get the rainbow back if i install the software

but i rather just have red

so the fact that the rainbow didnt come back after the format works fine for me

my old dominators used to be white and i needed the software to get red and the white would come back after a format

tjmack321Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #12 on: 08-July-19, 11:20:32 »

AYKM?! ...
Install it and find out for yourself, ITS SOFTWARE, YOU CAN DELETE IT AND INSTALL IT FOREVER.
Did you know that when you "uninstall" software there's a good chance that there are still traces of it left on your computer?  Depending on how sloppy the programmers were, there can be leftover entries in the Windows registry.  These entries can become corrupted or just generally accumulate over time, slowing your system down.  Also these leftover entries can cause conflicts if you do reinstall the software later.  Second, many programs write temporary files to your hard drive which the uninstall process does not remove.  These can potentially take up gigabytes of space and can sometimes be hard to track down as they can be written to the most random of places on your hard drive. 

As most gamers do, I try to squeeze every bit of performance out of my system that I can.  Hence, it doesn't make sense to continually install and uninstall apps for the above reasons.  The first thing most gamers do when they get a new system is wipe the hard drive and do a clean install to get rid of the ridiculous amount of pre installed bloatware.

Also did you know that generally accepted internet etiquette says that using all caps is the equivalent of yelling at someone?  I hardly see how my simple questions merited being yelled at, but if you were just having a bad day, I understand and I hope things get better for you.

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #13 on: 08-July-19, 12:12:00 »

Did you know that when you "uninstall" software there's a good chance that there are still traces of it left on your computer?  Depending on how sloppy the programmers were, there can be leftover entries in the Windows registry.  These entries can become corrupted or just generally accumulate over time, slowing your system down.  Also these leftover entries can cause conflicts if you do reinstall the software later.  Second, many programs write temporary files to your hard drive which the uninstall process does not remove.  These can potentially take up gigabytes of space and can sometimes be hard to track down as they can be written to the most random of places on your hard drive.

https://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #14 on: 08-July-19, 14:52:20 »

Did you know that when you "uninstall" software there's a good chance that there are still traces of it left on your computer?  Depending on how sloppy the programmers were,
It's not programers, its Software Writers, 2 different disciplines.
Read some of my posts that hammer the fact that doing a registry clean prior to do a clean install is paramount.
The software writers love the money and prestige, but are lazy asssss when it come to making a proper uninstaller.
You need auditing skills to run a PC, not jus CCleaner to clean the registry, but it's the next best thing.
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner
Pages: [1]   Go Up