Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Advanced search    

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memory Speed Question  (Read 151 times)

euanpetrieTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Memory Speed Question
« on: 23-June-19, 06:48:32 »

Hey fellow gamers.   I have a MSI GL63-8SE laptop with RTX.  I recently upgraded the SSD and noticed I only had one bank of memory.  Since it's a piece of cake to upgrade the memory I've been trying to figure out what's the max MHZ speed I can input into this laptop.  I checked MSI website for stats but can't seem to find any.  All I know is the default is 16gb DDR4 2400mhz... Crucials memory/SSD scanner states the same speed as any sort of upgrade.  Is there any way to figure out or read up on what the max clock speed is for laptop memory I can get?

Also, one bank of 16gb... I just use this for gaming and web surf, but I've heard 2 banks of 8gb would be better.... thoughts?

ɯnɹoℲ ɹǝs∩ ISW

• COLONEL
Re: Memory Speed Question
« Reply #1 on: 23-June-19, 09:00:29 »

I have a MSI GL63-8SE laptop with RTX. 
I've been trying to figure out what's the max MHZ speed I can input into this laptop. 
 All I know is the default is 16gb DDR4 2400mhz
I've heard 2 banks of 8gb would be better.... thoughts?
Product Support page: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GL63-8SX/Specification
Fastest type the notebook can use: DDR4-2666Mhz
With 1 stick of RAM your only in single channel mode, you really need 2 sticks of RAM for gaming to be in dual channel mode.
Some MSI notebooks downclock to 2400 when you install 32GB or more. To stay in the 2666 speed you will have to do 31GB or less, preferably in dual channel, this leaves you with 2x 8GB.
So upgrading to another 16GB 2400 is your best bet, but it's the CL (class latency) rating you must match up as well. RAM will only run as fast  as the slowest installed.
The CL rating is what determines the final speed, in response time its microseconds.
Mhz is the bandwidth.
GB is the volume.

ɯnɹoℲ ɹǝs∩ ISW

• COLONEL
Re: Memory Speed Question
« Reply #2 on: 23-June-19, 21:03:03 »

Here is a chart that shows the different RAM response speeds (ms).
I didn't finish it as many speeds do not exist, the times are there just to fill the chart in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up