Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI MS-1785 GT72VR 6RD RECOVERY DISCS WON'T WORK  (Read 419 times)

alysboyleTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
MSI MS-1785 GT72VR 6RD RECOVERY DISCS WON'T WORK
« on: 23-June-19, 18:32:40 »

I have an MSI GT72VR 6RD that I have had to use my recovery discs to restore the computer.

Unfortunately the laptap won't accept the 3rd disc (out of 5) and wants me to replace the 3rd disc as it won't recognize it.

Is there a recovery file that I can download somewhere or is there another solution to this problem.

If anyone knows how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alys

alysboyleTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Re: MSI MS-1785 GT72VR 6RD RECOVERY DISCS WON'T WORK
« Reply #1 on: 23-June-19, 19:46:05 »

Hi All

Would it be a good option to do a clean install using 
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

I was looking to see if I could do this in the Bios Screen using a USB with this file on it and put the USB as Boot Option #1

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Alys

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #2 on: 23-June-19, 20:50:51 »

Hi All
Would it be a good option to do a clean install using
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh
I was looking to see if I could do this in the Bios Screen using a USB with this file on it and put the USB as Boot Option #1
Any help would be awesome.
Thanks
Alys
EXACTLY what you should do!

alysboyleTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 23-June-19, 21:45:27 »

Thanks so much for your help.

I loaded the Windows10startfresh to my USB and set the USB as boot option #1 in the Bios screen.

Unfortunately when I reboot I get the messages below and then it just goes into the Bios screen.

>> Checking Media Presence
>> No Media Present

I only have the bios screen, is it possible to get this Windows10startfresh to start from the USB using the Bios Screen??

Thanks for your help

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #4 on: 23-June-19, 22:16:48 »

download windows iso from website

put iso to usb with RUFUS

set rufus to GPT UEFI

press f11 on boot to get boot menu

select usb

load usb

delete all old windows partitions

install windows
Click Here to:    Download Windows 10     Reinstall Graphics Driver     Update Bios

alysboyleTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 23-June-19, 22:25:25 »

Thanks for that.

Windows 10 was already installed on the laptop so I am not sure what the installation key is or how to get it from the Bios screen.

I would have thought that I couldn't download Windows 10 from the windows website without the installation key.

Thanks for your help

alysboyleTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 23-June-19, 22:49:03 »

Unfortunately I can't log a question with  https://register.msi.com/service/ask_question as the question won't lodge unless I do the below.

I am guessing I am unable to do the below as the zip file is not an iso file and therefore the file won't upload from the USB in the the BIOS screen, I only have the BIOS screen to work with.

"Please run MSI Help Desk (http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/nb/helpdesk.zip) and click [System Info]. Please also export the system information and upload the text file. "

Below is the reason I get for non-lodgement of my question to the msi service team.

"The system information text file is incorrect. Please export the system info by MSI Help Desk and upload the text file before you send the question."

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #7 on: 24-June-19, 00:09:19 »

Windows 10 was already installed on the laptop so I am not sure what the installation key is or how to get it from the Bios screen.
I would have thought that I couldn't download Windows 10 from the windows website without the installation key.
Thanks for your help
W10 Automatically registers to your hardware on your MoBo, no key is necessary unless your are installing it onto a free dos notebook.
Even then then you don't ever need a key to keep W10 running and up to date, you just get a reminder watermark on the bottom right of your screen.
You do not need a licence or a key to download the W10 installer to a USB.
During installation, skip the registration, W10 will register the 1st time it connects the its server to get the updates for your notebook.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #8 on: 24-June-19, 00:18:12 »

if it came with windows 10 then the key will install automatically from bios

if it came with windows 8 and someone did the official upgrade to 10 then the windows 8 key in the bios will work for 10 automatically

if it came with windows 7 and someone upgraded to 10 then you might need to extract the product key then put it in manually after the reinstall

google: SHOWKEYPLUS and download that tool

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/showkeyplus.html

after install you can right click THIS PC in file explorer and select properties then add product key manually there if u need
Click Here to:    Download Windows 10     Reinstall Graphics Driver     Update Bios

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #9 on: 24-June-19, 00:39:41 »

I think I should point out to you that 'StartFresh' is not 'Clean Install'.
StartFresh leave all your personal programs, software and files in place and reinstalls W10 around it.
Clean Install is a wipe of the OS and reinstall it. You MUST remove all you personal stuff prior to doing a Clean Install.
If your operating system is broken, remove the drive and use another PC to pull your data off of it prior to doing the Clean Install.

alysboyleTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #10 on: 24-June-19, 02:27:56 »

Thank you for that.

So I started the USB installation via the Bios screen and went through the below screens as per the attached photos
screen 1 - Windows Install now button
screen 2 - Microsoft Software License Terms
screen 3 - Type of Installation (I chose Custom)
screen 4 - Where do you want to install windows?

In screen 4, I'm not sure which partitions to delete if any, there are the below options
Drive 0 - unallocated space
Drive 0 partition 1 - MSR (Reserved)
Drive 0 partition 2 OS_Old - Primary
Drive 0 partition 3  - Recovery
Drive 1 partition 1: SYSTEM - System
Drive 1 partition 2 - MSR (Reserved)
Drive 1 partition 3: OS_Install - Primary
Drive 1 partition 4: WinRE tools - Recovery
Drive 1 partition 5: DATA - Primary
Drive 1 partition 6: BIOS_RVY - Recovery

The below article says that previous Windows installations will be split into partitions with labels such as 'Recovery', 'System', 'MSR' and 'Primary'.  And that before you install Windows 10 you'll need to delete all these partitions, by selecting each one and clicking the Delete icon.
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1401617/how-to-clean-install-windows-10-and-create-boot-media/page/0/1

The Drive partition's below have the following applicable messages when you click on each one
Drive 0 partition 1 AND Drive 1 partition 2 say that "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.  The partition is a Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition."
Drive 0 partition 3 says AND Drive 1 partition 4: WinRE tools AND Drive 1 partition 6: BIOS_RVY  all say that "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.  The partition is a Microsoft Recovery partition."
Drive 1 Partition 1:SYSTEM  says "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.  Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS.  Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.  The partition is an EFI system partition (ESP)."

I am not sure which partitions to delete and where to install windows 10??

I really really appreciate your help, if you can assist it would be fantastic.

Thanks Alys 

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #11 on: 24-June-19, 12:39:49 »

Thank you for that.

So I started the USB installation via the Bios screen and went through the below screens as per the attached photos
screen 1 - Windows Install now button
screen 2 - Microsoft Software License Terms
screen 3 - Type of Installation (I chose Custom)
screen 4 - Where do you want to install windows?

In screen 4, I'm not sure which partitions to delete if any, there are the below options
Remove your storage drive(s), everything will be installed to the only drive lect in the notebook, wipe it clean of everything.
After you are done you can replace the storage drive(s).
Pages: [1]   Go Up