Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI PS63 Modern 8SC - backlight bleed issue  (Read 565 times)

KabTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
MSI PS63 Modern 8SC - backlight bleed issue
« on: 24-June-19, 08:50:01 »

Hello everyone! I got delivered a new MSI PS63 Moden 8SC last Saturday... The notebook is rather good, however I became quite disappointment with the display.

During testing and setting up on Sunday, I have noticed the white bleeding on my screen in all four corners, which is especially annoying if you watch movies or work with dark backgrounds. It's my first MSI laptop and first issue of this kind. I have attached three pictures: 1) Closeup with the keyboard lights on, 2) with ambient light as a reference, and 3) with my finger pushing lightly against the bezel of the top right corner without the screen moving yet. (I did not adjust the photos.)

Right now I am thinking to return the notebook but not sure whether this white bleeding is normal or as in case of a replacement, I'll get just the same issue.

What do you think?
Is this normal or as I think, a manufacturing issue?
Does MSI provide a warranty for this issue in case it will become worse, especially since the display will be opened and closed on a daily basis (see 3rd photo)?

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
Re: MSI PS63 Modern 8SC - backlight bleed issue
« Reply #1 on: 24-June-19, 11:26:35 »

Hello everyone! I got delivered a new MSI PS63 Moden 8SC last Saturday... The notebook is rather good, however I became quite disappointment with the display.
Return it now! Its unacceptable.
Purchase from an MSI customizer that will guarantee little or no light bleed for a few bucks more.
Here are 2 USA distributors that have really good reputations for online and store sales:

http://www.hidevolution.com/custom-built-msi-ps63-8rc-modern-085-15-6-fhd-i7-8565u-gtx-1050.html

https://www.gentechpc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSI-PS63-Modern-085B

You still have 14 days to return the item if unsatisfied.

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #2 on: 24-June-19, 12:53:13 »

the real solution to backlight bleed is full array local dimming, which has alot more micro backlights and dims the ones behind any blacks

problem is many people use their displays in well lit rooms which ruins the blacks anyway so they dont notice the bleed. so not enough people are returning the displays to force the manufacters to implement more full array local dimming. i think it only comes on high end tv's right now.

if you dont use those options posted in the photos above then its just luck whether you get less backlight bleed on an exchanged display. ive returned 5 displays already for bleed. right now 1 of my displays has none and 2 of them have a small amount that doenst bother me enough.
Click Here to:    Download Windows 10     Reinstall Graphics Driver     Update Bios

annet

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #3 on: 24-June-19, 20:51:29 »

It's not defective. This is something called the MURA effect, and other panels from different vendors get the same issue (and it seems that there's no way to get away from this. people can only alleviate it).
Check this: https://www.roda-computer.com/technology/mura-effect/
and MSI also has a FAQ that explains the MURA effect: https://www.msi.com/faq/notebook-2023
Contact MSI if you still have the concern.

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #4 on: 24-June-19, 22:17:51 »

It's not defective. This is something called the MURA effect, and other panels from different vendors get the same issue (and it seems that there's no way to get away from this. people can only alleviate it).
Check this: https://www.roda-computer.com/technology/mura-effect/
and MSI also has a FAQ that explains the MURA effect: https://www.msi.com/faq/notebook-2023
Contact MSI if you still have the concern.

full array local dimming would still solve that issue, shuts off the backlights that arent being used, if a backlight is off then it cannot show through from mura effect.
Click Here to:    Download Windows 10     Reinstall Graphics Driver     Update Bios

KabTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 25-June-19, 07:04:50 »

Thank you for your feedback everyone.

I am aware of the MURA effect and I am totally fine with it.  However, the edges, especially the top left and top right corner are definitely backlight bleeding. You can see it in the 1st and 2nd picture. 
When I press slightly with my fingers against the bezel (around 2cm from the corner) the bleed disappears and the black becomes nicely even with the rest of the screen.

Unfortunately I don't have the option to order from the US, I am currently in Korea and I am not aware of any service that checks the screens on bleeding prior to shipping here. I will return the notebook and ask the seller to exchange for a new one without bleeding... Fingers crossed that the new display will have less issues.

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #6 on: 25-June-19, 10:38:03 »

I am aware of the MURA effect and I am totally fine with it.  However, the edges, especially the top left and top right corner are definitely backlight bleeding. You can see it in the 1st and 2nd picture.
When I press slightly with my fingers against the bezel (around 2cm from the corner) the bleed disappears and the black becomes nicely even with the rest of the screen.

Unfortunately I don't have the option to order from the US, I am currently in Korea and I am not aware of any service that checks the screens on bleeding prior to shipping here. I will return the notebook and ask the seller to exchange for a new one without bleeding... Fingers crossed that the new display will have less issues.

everyone raves about all these new super thin monitors with small bezels and curved displays, yet nobody is talking about the fact that it increases the probability of bleed. i rather have a thick monitor with big bezel that has no bleed then an ultra thin curved with bleed

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #7 on: 25-June-19, 13:04:17 »

I will return the notebook and ask the seller to exchange for a new one without bleeding... Fingers crossed that the new display will have less issues.

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #8 on: 25-June-19, 13:10:35 »

everyone raves about all these new super thin monitors with small bezels and curved displays, yet nobody is talking about the fact that it increases the probability of bleed. i rather have a thick monitor with big bezel that has no bleed then an ultra thin curved with bleed
You have no idea how many creased and dented notebook lids we repair in our shop.
Manufacturers seem to think that making the lid 'Thin' and out of alloy will prevent dents and bending ..... It doesn't.
Thin notebook lids made from alloy will permanently keep a dent or a crease and a pressure mark on the screen appears, plastic would rebound/bounce back!
I'm going to speak for all girls .... The thicker the better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up