Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Advanced search    

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thunderbolt 3 controller requires constant reset  (Read 226 times)

ranronTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Thunderbolt 3 controller requires constant reset
« on: 24-June-19, 11:33:17 »

I just got a GS75 Stealth (9SG) some two weeks ago. Excellent gaming laptop overall. The only problem is the Thunderbolt 3 controller.

When I first got it, the Thunderbolt didn't work at all and I had to re-install the drivers multiple times to get it work. Now the problem is whenever I plug in my Thunderbolt 3 device, I need to disable and re-enable the device in 'Device Manager' to get it working. It's quite annoying because I use Thunderbolt for a 10G NIC which means it's constantly being plugged in and unplugged. I do stop the device before I disconnect, but it doesn't seem to make much of difference.

Is there a solution for this or a firmware that I'm missing that addresses this issue?

pennknig

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
Re: Thunderbolt 3 controller requires constant reset
« Reply #1 on: 24-June-19, 12:16:49 »

I just got a GS75 Stealth (9SG) some two weeks ago. Excellent gaming laptop overall. The only problem is the Thunderbolt 3 controller.

When I first got it, the Thunderbolt didn't work at all and I had to re-install the drivers multiple times to get it work. Now the problem is whenever I plug in my Thunderbolt 3 device, I need to disable and re-enable the device in 'Device Manager' to get it working. It's quite annoying because I use Thunderbolt for a 10G NIC which means it's constantly being plugged in and unplugged. I do stop the device before I disconnect, but it doesn't seem to make much of difference.

Is there a solution for this or a firmware that I'm missing that addresses this issue?
The hardware is working, it's the firmware/software that needs sorting out.
Is your BIOS and EC up to date? https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GS75-STEALTH-9SG

ranronTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 24-June-19, 12:36:04 »

The hardware is working, it's the firmware/software that needs sorting out.
Is your BIOS and EC up to date? https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GS75-STEALTH-9SGy
Yes, I have the latest BIOS and drivers. That's the first thing I did was to ensure everything was the latest.

EDIT: It looks like I wasn't aware the EC firmware is something else entirely, I'll update it see if that fixes my issues.

pennknig

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #3 on: 24-June-19, 12:40:58 »

Yes, I have the latest BIOS and drivers. That's the first thing I did was to ensure everything was the latest.

EDIT: It looks like I wasn't aware the EC firmware is something else entirely, I'll update it see if that fixes my issues.
EC is very important and you must follow through with the reset procedure after installing.

ranronTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 24-June-19, 12:50:58 »

EC is very important and you must follow through with the reset procedure after installing.
The instructions says that after the update is completed, if I have a removable battery I need to remove it for 10 seconds to clear the EC RAM.

However it says if my battery is non-removable (it's non-remowable), the EC RAM will be cleared up the update. Am I suppose to unplug and leave it off for 10 seconds? If I the read instruction as is, there are no steps after the update for me.

EDIT: I've gone ahead and done the update. I'll report back if the issue returns or not. Thanks for your help!

RaiderGamer

• MAJOR
« Reply #5 on: 24-June-19, 13:04:49 »

my laptop has a pinhole on the bottom that goes into a very small button to reset the ec

the pinhole is so small even a medium size paperclip wont fit in, i had to use a twist tie with the plastic stripped off, which worked because the button is so small it presses very easily

i think i can hold that down for 10 seconds to reset the ec, i did that after i updated my bios in device manager

pennknig

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #6 on: 24-June-19, 13:14:37 »

The instructions says that after the update is completed, if I have a removable battery I need to remove it for 10 seconds to clear the EC RAM.

However it says if my battery is non-removable (it's non-remowable), the EC RAM will be cleared up the update. Am I suppose to unplug and leave it off for 10 seconds? If I the read instruction as is, there are no steps after the update for me.

EDIT: I've gone ahead and done the update. I'll report back if the issue returns or not. Thanks for your help!

User manual: http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/nb/17G1_v1.0_English.zip

freeyh

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #7 on: 24-June-19, 21:42:43 »

Have you tried uninstalling the Thunderbolt driver and the control panel and fully reinstall?
To make sure the Thunderbolt 3 work normally, you need to install the correct version of the driver and control panel.

Follow this post might give you some help.
And under the control panel, you can select your TB3 device for the behavior like attached figures.

ranronTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 25-June-19, 02:47:37 »

I did all the updates and the applicable after update procedures.

Anyways looks like I still have problems. I need to disable and re-enable the Thunderbolt device every time I plug my NIC in.

pennknig

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #9 on: 25-June-19, 13:25:18 »

I did all the updates and the applicable after update procedures.
Anyways looks like I still have problems. I need to disable and re-enable the Thunderbolt device every time I plug my NIC in.
Must be the firmware on the NIC, try a different brand?
Pages: [1]   Go Up