Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GS75 Stealth 9SG First Impressions  (Read 538 times)

ranronTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
GS75 Stealth 9SG First Impressions
« on: 24-June-19, 12:26:36 »

Came on there to ask some questions, looks like the unboxing section needs more content! My previous gaming laptop was a Asus ROG Strix GL702VS with i7-7700HQ, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM with a 500GB Samsung 960 EVO [NVMe] and a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO (2.5" SATA). But it was way too big, so I rarely used it. I sold it recently. About two weeks ago I went to Best Buy to buy a new MacBook Pro.... instead I ended up buying the MSI GS75 Stealth. I guess I'll stick with my old Mac for now. I have a nice gaming desktop at home, so I use a laptop mostly for work plus gaming whilst on the go.

I was surprised they had such a nice model in stock:
MSI GS75 Stealth
Intel Core i7-9750H
32GB RAM
1TB WD Black SSD [NVMe]
Nvidia RTX 2080 Max-Q

I got home, opened up the bottom to look at the parts (I always do this with a new product I buy), found that there were two more M.2 SSD slots, I went to Microcenter and bought two clearance 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA SSDs (I actually wanted to 2x 2TB SSDs, but they didn't have them in clearance). So together I have 3TB of SSD storage which is enough for now.

First impressions:
My first impressions were actually pretty bad--I had a couple problems from the get-go. My keyboard didn't work properly out of the box, it would constantly freeze especially if I used backspace more than once. The Thunderbolt didn't work either. I had to install updated drivers to fix both these issues. I'm not too crazy about this weird keyboard layout. Typing on it is fine, but the arrow keys and the numberpad arrangement needs getting used to. I use numberpad a lot in Excel, so the weird arrow placement where the '0' key makes it weird. Also the Windows key being on the right side of the space bar isn't that great either. I get that it's to prevent people from accidentally pressing the Windows key in games, but a toggle to disable it might be better than changing the placement. There are a number of shortcuts that use the Windows key and having to look down the keyboard to look for the key really slows my work down. In terms of portability, I'm getting pretty good battery life especially for something of this size and performance. I think I can get 5-6 hours no problem. The only downside is the charging is incredibly slow. I have several laptops (MacBook Pro, Surface Book, to name a few), all charge way faster than this computer. The only other gripe I have is the weird partitions. The boot SSD to split into a weird 585GB boot volume and then 346GB data partition with the Windows recovery partition in the middle which means I can't easily combine the two partitions. I get why it's split, but why is the boot volume so enormous? Hopefully the image that MSI uses for these computers get fixed. That all said, this laptop is a beast, yet it's so light and portable. I actually was able to fit this laptop into a 15" sleeve shows you how compact this 17" computer really is! The laptop does seem to creak a little when you hold it. It's extremely fast and the fans are pretty quiet when in games. I just wish it didn't ramp up and down so much; honestly I don't mind it on all the time.

Here's a picture of the computer running my favorite game:

I ran 3DMark Time Spy, pretty respectable score:

(https://www.3dmark.com/spy/7448612)

This is the performance compared to my other gaming computers. The second one is the old gaming laptop, the third one is my primary gaming desktop, and the fourth one is a computer I built for gaming in VR. I would be unfair to compared a thin and light gaming laptop to a desktop with no real thermal limits, but compared to a compact desktop with a desktop processor and desktop graphics, this laptop is very respectable. It definitely feels more than twice as the old laptop:

(https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/7448612/spy/7445786/spy/7075539/spy/7075512#)
Pages: [1]   Go Up