Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: an official bios release for Ryzen 3000 series (Zen 2) for MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC  (Read 1346 times)

imwechsTopic starter

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

Right now there is only a beta v. 1.94 available for this board for Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 series cpus. I do not feel comfortable using a beta bios for a brand new cpu. Is there a likelihood an official bios release will be available before Ryzen 3000 cpus are released on July 7th ?

flobelix

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
    • Afterburner New Features Introduction | MSI

Only MSI can tell you but no one on the forum. We are all just users. Ask MSI: >>How to contact MSI.<<
MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK (MS-7A90) Bios 1.A0
Core i7 7820X @ 4404.45 MHz (44 * 100.1 MHz, fixed all cores), 1.158v - delidded and using der8auer Skylake-X Direct Die Frame
Corsair H110 Liquid CPU Cooler
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair CMR32GX4M4Z3200C16 @ 1602.9 MHz (DDR4-3206), 16-18-18-36-2t, 1.35v
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DUKE 11G OC
1TB Crucial MX500 M.2 SSD + 2TB Crucial MX500 SSD
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 1200W Platinum • +12V: 100A • +3.3V: 25A • +5V: 25A
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case

sp68

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

There's a newer version strangely enough named 190. It uses GSE-Lite and some peeps don't like the reduced and more basic appearance.
Here's the text contents.

1. This is AMI BIOS release
2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
-  Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
-  Support GSE-Lite mode.

I would suspect they've added more cpu code than the 194 version and there isn't room so have scaled back the appearance.

jamin280672

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

I dont know why they just dont remove the 1st edition Ryzens from support and put a warning out that if you have a 1xxx series CPU, it wont work anymore after flashing the bios.........X570 doesnt support 1xxx CPU's. people are going to flash this bios for 3xxx support anyway so why even have 1xxx support in it, and theres the space they need.

Whats going to happen when the new CPUs come out again next year, RyZen 4000, how are they going to add those if they cant get 3000 support to fit in the bios now.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
  • Yes, that is a picture of me as the Bud Knight.

I dont know why they just dont remove the 1st edition Ryzens from support and put a warning out that if you have a 1xxx series CPU, it wont work anymore after flashing the bios.........X570 doesnt support 1xxx CPU's. people are going to flash this bios for 3xxx support anyway so why even have 1xxx support in it, and theres the space they need.

Whats going to happen when the new CPUs come out again next year, RyZen 4000, how are they going to add those if they cant get 3000 support to fit in the bios now.

My best guess?
Maybe a certain manufacturer won't allow them to do that. (aka AMD)
Everyone just assumes that MSI (or any other OEM) can do whatever they please.....but that's not really the case most of the time.....

Personally....I don't see this as entirely MSI's fault. AMD really needs to be drug out into the streets and shot for how they've been handling their products since Ryzen came out.....it's worse than MSI's own marketing team (which I think is pretty horrible).

Conversely....Intel doesn't have these issues.....they don't try to support 4 or 5 revisions of chips on each board (Ryzen 1xxx, Ryzen APU 1xxx, Ryzen 2xxx, Ryzen APU 2xxx, Ryzen 3xxx....). They keep it to 2, possibly 3. Just something to think about as well.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 1MSI GS73VR-6RFIntel i7 6700HQ16GB DDR4MSI GTX1060 6GB
ServerMSI X370 SLI PlusAMD Ryzen 5 1500X16GB DDR4MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor OC
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB
System 4MSI Z390 Gaming PlusIntel i5 9400F16GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHzMSI HD7770 2GB

imwechsTopic starter

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

My best guess?
Maybe a certain manufacturer won't allow them to do that. (aka AMD)
Everyone just assumes that MSI (or any other OEM) can do whatever they please.....but that's not really the case most of the time.....

Personally....I don't see this as entirely MSI's fault. AMD really needs to be drug out into the streets and shot for how they've been handling their products since Ryzen came out.....it's worse than MSI's own marketing team (which I think is pretty horrible).

Conversely....Intel doesn't have these issues.....they don't try to support 4 or 5 revisions of chips on each board (Ryzen 1xxx, Ryzen APU 1xxx, Ryzen 2xxx, Ryzen APU 2xxx, Ryzen 3xxx....). They keep it to 2, possibly 3. Just something to think about as well.
  You do make some good points, but these two are overiding. AMF issues more bios requirements because they know their customers do not want to have to upgrade their motyherboards every other year. The second even more important point it is about time that board manufacturers increase the capacity of their bios chips. 16NB seems awfully cheap and inadequate. Now I know this industry wide not just MSI. It would be nice from a competitive standpoint if MSI exercised some market leadership by showing up Asus , Gigabyte, and Asrock by doubling their bios capacity. I think people would give MSI kudos for such a move. Just a positive suggestion, not a criticism.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
  • Yes, that is a picture of me as the Bud Knight.

You do make some good points, but these two are overiding. AMF issues more bios requirements because they know their customers do not want to have to upgrade their motyherboards every other year. The second even more important point it is about time that board manufacturers increase the capacity of their bios chips. 16NB seems awfully cheap and inadequate. Now I know this industry wide not just MSI. It would be nice from a competitive standpoint if MSI exercised some market leadership by showing up Asus , Gigabyte, and Asrock by doubling their bios capacity. I think people would give MSI kudos for such a move. Just a positive suggestion, not a criticism.

I won't disagree about the BIOS chip size. I was honestly slightly surprised MSI used such small ones, and the price difference (as someone who is an electrical engineer and deals with parts like these for my 'real job') is pretty negligible.

That being said, I still don't remove AMD entirely from blame here. AMD's hardware is surprisingly good. But their BIOS and support to OEM's? You'd think they're on Mar's developing this stuff, that's how far out of touch they are. At least from what I know. In reality it could be much worse.

Either way, I'm easily an Intel fan, and I can say I'm jealous of the hardware, but the software/bios/support is entirely what keeps me away from the product.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 1MSI GS73VR-6RFIntel i7 6700HQ16GB DDR4MSI GTX1060 6GB
ServerMSI X370 SLI PlusAMD Ryzen 5 1500X16GB DDR4MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor OC
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB
System 4MSI Z390 Gaming PlusIntel i5 9400F16GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHzMSI HD7770 2GB
Pages: [1]   Go Up