Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI X99A Raider Memory Question--Different sized RAM placement  (Read 338 times)

ChicagoMedicTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for any replies.  I currently have the X99A Raider mobo ( MSI X99A Raider ATX w/USB 3.1, Intel GbLAN, 3x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1x M.2 PCIe & SATAIII, 10x SATA 6Gb/s )

This mobo has 8 DIMM slots for ram.  I currently use 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel Memory (Patriot Viper Elite) setup in alternating DIMM slots per the manual for quad channel usage.

I currently came across 2x8 GB RAM sticks, same speed and brand.  I am running a lot of VMs and would like to utilize the extra RAM

The manual isn't quite clear about this situation.

My question is: what is the most efficient way to place 4x4 GB and 2x8 GB ram in the mobo?  I figure I lose some quad/ dual channel usage?

Will there be a huge performance hit?

Thanks so much in advance and if you need anymore information to help me please let me know.
Marked as best answer by ChicagoMedic on 26-June-19, 09:23:44

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
Keep the old kit in DIMM1-3-5-7 and plug the new one in DIMM2-6:

After that, do a clear CMOS:
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
- Keep the button on the backpanel pressed during at least 20s.
- Plug the power cord and power on.
- When asked, choose to use default values when asked (RAM used at its stock values).
Verify RAM stability with >>MemTest86<<: at least 2 passes of full tests. If there is not error, enter in bios setup and enable XMP. Verify again with MemTest86. If there are errors, abort and:
- What is the bios version?
- Run >>CPU-Z<< and do a screen copy of SPD slot1 and 2.
Have a good day,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

• PRIVATE E-2

Thank you for the quick reply.  I had figured as much.

Quick question because I am curious:

Does that keep the 4x4 in quad channel mode and the 2x8 in dual channel mode?

Thanks again!  I'll report back tonight with how it goes.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Does that keep the 4x4 in quad channel mode and the 2x8 in dual channel mode?
Yes, it should!
I'll report back tonight with how it goes.
Thanks to let me known about MemTest86 results?
Good luck,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

• PRIVATE E-2

Quick update, I forgot to mention the sticks are 2x16 GB.

Placing them in the way you described does not let the system post.

I took a 4gb out and replaced with a 16 and it worked.  Tried with both the 16gb sticks--so they are not faulty.

The manual mentions another setup for 6 DIMM slots going to try that now and report back.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Placing them in the way you described does not let the system post.
:undecided:  
The manual mentions another setup for 6 DIMM slots going to try that now and report back.
:confused2:

1/ What is the current bios version? If it is lower than VP.50, update it (keep only the old RAM kit for the update:
- Download >>Bios VP.50<<.
- Take an USB pen with no more than 16GB (physical size) and only 1 partition.
  Verify it with CHKDSK.
- Unzip it and copy the file "E7885IMS.P50" on the root of the USB pen.
- Boot and enter in Bios Setup. Press [F6], confirm, press [F10] and confirm. Pc should restart.
- Enter again in Bios Setup.
- Plug the USB pen into one port on the back panel (better to use a 2.0).

- Run M-Flash;
be cautious to not abort it before the end (can last up to 5mn).
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
Add the new kit in DIMM2+6. Result?
2/
If problem remains, unplug the new kit and run >>CPU-Z<<. Do a screen copy of the SPD tab slot#1. Replace the 4GB stick in DIMM1 with a new 16GB. Redo the screen copy.
Have a good day,

• PRIVATE E-2

Sorry, I did not articulate myself as I was in a rush to get this working.

Here is what I did so far:

I put the 2 16GB sticks of ram in the first two slots.

the 3rd slot has a 4GB,
 Slot 8 is empty, 7, 6, and 5 have the 4GB sticks.

The system boots this way.

CPUZ shows the 16gb sticks in dual ranks (slots 1 and 3) and the 4gb sticks in single ranks

I don't think this is ideal, but I could not get the system to boot placing the sticks in slots 2 and 6.  Weird.  Going to try to enable XMP.  Will update.  

Thanks!

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

CPUZ shows the 16gb sticks in dual ranks (slots 1 and 3) and the 4gb sticks in single ranks
Do not confound "Rank=Single/Dual" and "Channel=Dual/Quad". First says that memory modules are on 1 side of the stick (single) or on the 2 sides (dual). Second says that the 2 or 4 sticks are adressed in parallel.
I don't think this is ideal, but I could not get the system to boot placing the sticks in slots 2 and 6.  Weird.  Going to try to enable XMP.  Will update.
Before to try XMP, verify stability at stock values with MemeTest86 as I explained.
Good luck,
Pages: [1]   Go Up