Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble getting past "DRAM LED" stage [B450 Tomahawk]  (Read 421 times)

skinnygecko123Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I bought a B450 Tomahawk to use with my R5 3600 processor
I flashed the bios to the latest version (7C02v18) which supports the new processor using the method described in (), everything seemed normal
Upon reboot the LED light was at "CPU"
Installed CPU and rebooted, and the LED light was at "DRAM"
Insert single ram stick into slot "DIMMA2"
Reboot, light back at CPU
Take out ram stick, reboot, still at CPU

I have tried various combinations of re-flashing bios, re-seating CPU, clearing CMOS, using different ram sticks in different slots, but have never been able to get past "DRAM" LED
Most of the time it is just stuck on "CPU" LED with blue underglow. Occasionally I have gotten red underglow, and the lights to cycle before settling back on CPU, but I haven't been able to replicate anything consistently

I am tired and going to bed now, but are there any ideas on things to try? The results seem so erratic I can't figure out what is working and what isn't. I will try any suggestions tomorrow.

richard.y

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
Re: Trouble getting past "DRAM LED" stage [B450 Tomahawk]
« Reply #1 on: 10-July-19, 21:23:38 »

hi! can you list your spec?
Posting Guide

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 11-July-19, 15:21:09 »

Sure

Board: MSI B450 Tomahawk AM4 Motherboard
BIOS:  7C02v18
VGA:  PowerColor RED DRAGON Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 AXRX 570 4GBD5-3DHD/OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support ATX Video Card
PSU:  EVGA Supernova 550 G3, 80 Plus Gold 550W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan, 7 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-G3-0550-Y1
CPU:  AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000031BOX Desktop Processor
MEM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
HDD/SSD: Intel SSD 660p Series (1.0TB M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x 4 3D2 QLC) 2 2281" (SSDPEKNW010T8X1)
Seagate SATA 6Gb/s 3.5-Inch 4TB Desktop HDD (ST4000DM000)
COOLER: AMD Wraith Stealth
Keyboard: LITE-ON SK-1788/BS Black and Gray PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G305
OC:  None

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 11-July-19, 18:52:03 »

Update: I just tried flashing the BIOS with two new different USB drives and found no change in behavior to the first one
  • Topram 32GB USB 3.0
  • Mozdart 16GB USB 2.0
  • SanDisk 8GB USB 2.0

Here is the steps I do to update my BIOS
  • MB and CPU power connectors are connected to board and PSU switch is on
  • Plug in USB drive
  • Hit flash button
  • After a few seconds, flash button led starts blinking
  • After a minute or so, the flash button led starts blinking more rapidly
  • After a few minutes, the flash button led stops flashing, and the system powers off, then powers back on again
  • Turn off PSU, unplug power cord, and remove USB drive
  • Install CPU and cooler
  • Plug in PSU, turn on PSU, power on system
From there everything is like the first post, get to RAM LED (may need to clear CMOS to get past CPU light at this point), but once put in RAM, stuck at CPU

Here are some questions that may give me more ideas
  • Is there anything wrong/lacking with the steps to update the BIOS mentioned above?
  • Has anybody with this board and CPU managed to update the BIOS and get their system running WITHOUT a gen 1 or 2 chip?
  • The CPU when removed from the board after some on/off testing was warm, would it be warm even if it was not detected/working?

The next thing I am going to play around with are flashing older versions of the BIOS and seeing how it behaves

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 11-July-19, 19:33:23 »

I just tried flashing BIOS 7C02v15 and the board turned off shortly after turning on and the LED stayed a solid red. Guess that means error.
Next I flashed BIOS 7C02v17 and the flash process was the same as 7C02v18. Couldn't get the board past the CPU LED with this BIOS (expected, given Ryzen 3600 is not supported no this BIOS)
I am going to try going back to 7C02v18 and see if anything is different.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 11-July-19, 20:03:57 »

Back on 7C02v18 and it behaves like it did at the start. I'm assuming at this point one of my components is defective.

I'm assuming the CPU and CPU socket are fine because I am able to get past CPU light with some degree of consistency, which I wasn't able to do on older BIOS.
Could be RAM issue? But why does it go back to CPU light if RAM is bad? And what is the odds of two sticks of some of the most popular RAM being defective? Maybe the RAM slot on the board is bad?
Or maybe the newest BIOS just doesn't support the new CPUs as well as the description says and that is why results are all over the place?

I am going to contact MSI support and see if they have any helpful info.

richard.y

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #6 on: 12-July-19, 02:31:36 »

Here are some questions that may give me more ideas
  • Is there anything wrong/lacking with the steps to update the BIOS mentioned above?

You do the totally correct procedure in flash bios button. It seems that you already flash the ver.18 bios .

• Has anybody with this board and CPU managed to update the BIOS and get their system running WITHOUT a gen 1 or 2 chip?

There are some users have same issue. what we can do is wait for another bios for solving that.
    I heard that unplug 24 pin and 8pin power core for 10 minutes could solve it. You can try it.

• The CPU when removed from the board after some on/off testing was warm, would it be warm even if it was not detected/working?

It's normal thing.

if you flash the previous version bios, which doesn't support ryzen 3000 cpu. Debug led stuck on cpu is normal.

stanante

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 12-July-19, 03:44:32 »

Ok skinnygecko,

We've got the same Mobo, same BIOS update, same CPU, same RAM, same SSD.
I also bought all this gear a few days ago.
I flashed the BIOS following these instructions (4th post down by rbleroy91) https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=314408.0
I then plugged in CPU, both RAM sticks, and my graphics card (old GTX 560Ti) all at the same time
This successfully got me into the BIOS

Not sure my sharing will help you but perhaps just give you some confidence that it should work and therefore if it doesn't, perhaps something is defective.
Let me know how you get on

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 12-July-19, 17:04:03 »

Alright I got a boot by putting everything in at once after the BIOS update, and then removing one of the ram sticks. It is still very inconsistent though, often requiring multiple resets before getting a boot, even with only one stick. I assume this is down to memory comparability issues. I can just use the one stick for now I guess.

It seems like all my hardware is working anyway, I know they are planning another BIOS update to fix the RAID support, hopefully they also include some memory compatibility improvements in there.

Max9R

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 16-July-19, 17:47:37 »

Alright I got a boot by putting everything in at once after the BIOS update, and then removing one of the ram sticks. It is still very inconsistent though, often requiring multiple resets before getting a boot, even with only one stick. I assume this is down to memory comparability issues. I can just use the one stick for now I guess.

It seems like all my hardware is working anyway, I know they are planning another BIOS update to fix the RAID support, hopefully they also include some memory compatibility improvements in there.
I agree that the bulk of the issues are RAM related.  That said, my 3600X that won't even post in my MSI B450 Tomahawk is now working fine with my ASRock X470 Taichi.  In my Taichi I've always been able to post with the CPU, but stability was horrible.  That said, running without XMP profiles loaded changed that.  I've now got my RAM running at 3200Mhz with some custom slow timings.  The machine is working though which is way more than I can say for my Tomahawk that won't even post with the same processor.  I know the board works though because putting my 2400G in it works fine.  MSI has some serious work to do on this...
Pages: [1]   Go Up