Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New GS 65 Stealth Thin SSD help  (Read 429 times)

larryphelps1738Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
New GS 65 Stealth Thin SSD help
« on: 14-July-19, 13:55:15 »

Just bought my first MSI laptop, went with the newGS 65 STEALTH THIN (9SD) 1660TI 512GB SSD 16GB RAM, ive heard theres an extra nvme slot, is it s simple as just taking the bottom cover off or is there more to it?

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
Re: New GS 65 Stealth Thin SSD help
« Reply #1 on: 15-July-19, 14:52:41 »

Just bought my first MSI laptop, went with the newGS 65 STEALTH THIN (9SD) 1660TI 512GB SSD 16GB RAM, ive heard theres an extra nvme slot, is it s simple as just taking the bottom cover off or is there more to it?

Hi larryphelps1738,

Unfortunately, no. Thin models like the newer GS65 are much more difficult to disassemble than previous MSI notebook models and the M.2 SSD slots are not designed for user serviceability. Both of its two M.2 SSD slots are located on the top of the motherboard and, after you've removed the chassis bottom cover, you must remove the motherboard in order to access the M.2 SSD slots. While doing this, you must be careful to not damage the RFI shield (a flexible membrane) that covers the bottom of the motherboard. There's a video of a GS65 8SG disassembly on YouTube here. It is probably very similar to your GS65 9SD.

Because the motherboard must be removed to access the M.2 SSD slots, it will probably void your warranty if you try to do it yourself. However, if you've got mad tech skills, you should be able to do it with no problem. But it's not a job for most users.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

mike

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: New GS 65 Stealth Thin SSD help
« Reply #2 on: 21-July-19, 17:01:42 »

Because the motherboard must be removed to access the M.2 SSD slots, it will probably void your warranty if you try to do it yourself. However, if you've got mad tech skills, you should be able to do it with no problem. But it's not a job for most users.
David's mostly correct above. Not all of the GS65's have the RFI shields. My GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF purchased late in 2018 did not. 

We are allowed to modify our hardware without voiding the warranty, although damage caused during such modding will likely NOT be covered. I have successfully modded my RAM as well as both NVMe SSDs. The video David referenced is a great one to show you all the required steps and pitfalls of mobo removal. (I usually remove the battery when I do this. It makes access to the bottom ribbon cables a little easier.)

It's not simple, but if you have competent skills you should be able to successfully mod your GS65 without damaging anything or voiding your warranty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up