Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDD LED Constantly ON  (Read 2585 times)

david1993adamsTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
HDD LED Constantly ON
« on: 14-July-19, 23:30:51 »

Hi,

Brand new x570 pro carbon wifi.

All front panel connectors are correct, but the HDD led is just constantly on.

Is this normal behavior, can it be solved via a bios update if so?

Or is this not normal, and should it be flashing like my old x470 did?

Thanks!

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Re: HDD LED Constantly ON
« Reply #1 on: 15-July-19, 10:41:07 »

Anyone any ideas?

Tried: removing all sata devices.
Reseating led cables.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #2 on: 15-July-19, 13:11:42 »

Hello,
Case's LED and mobo's LED would flash during disk activity.
1/ Verify these 2 connections to the case:

2/ Do a clear CMOS:
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
- Either
    . short JBAT1 during at least 20s
      (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or
    . remove the battery cell during 15mn.
- Plug the power cord and power on.
- Choose to enter in bios setup when asked.
   Set
"SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" at "UEFI" (change nothing else at this time).
Result for case's LED? mobo's LED?
3/ What is the bios version?
Hoping it shall help,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 15-July-19, 14:48:14 »

Hello,
[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]
2/ Do a clear CMOS:
- Either
      (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or
   Set
"SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" at "UEFI" (change nothing else at this time).
Hoping it shall help,

Hello! 

First, thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

I have verified multiple times over that the connectors for the case are all set.

I will try all your other steps later tonight when I get home, and I shall let you know! 

Thank you.

Frugl1

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 15-July-19, 15:05:57 »

Support told me this is normal for this board with an NVMe drive installed, but it may be fixed with a new UEFI later. My 570 carbon does the same.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 15-July-19, 15:13:33 »

Support told me this is normal for this board with an NVMe drive installed, but it may be fixed with a new UEFI later. My 570 carbon does the same.
Phew, I thought I had an issue with the board.

Thanks a lot for letting me know. 

It's kinda annoying, and hope it's fixed as it's an activity light after all.

Just an fyi, the steps above made no difference.

Glad to know it's not just mine doing this.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #6 on: 15-July-19, 15:52:22 »

Thank to share this information! :biggthumbsup:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

NiJo

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 16-July-19, 03:12:31 »

My X570 Carbon Wifi have the HDD led on all time too.. Hopefully they will adress this bug with a bios update. Also in taskmanager/memory it doesnt show the speed at all!!

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 16-July-19, 11:24:00 »

My X570 Carbon Wifi have the HDD led on all time too.. Hopefully they will adress this bug with a bios update. Also in taskmanager/memory it doesnt show the speed at all!!

OMG, I was just coming on here to post about the task manager issue!!!

So glad it's not just me, and is clearly a bug in board software.

These two issues need patched.

Frugl1

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 20-July-19, 21:33:07 »

While i dont think support is telling me lies. I do wonder as to why we have not seen more reports of this.... What drives are you guys using?

bajachamp27

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #10 on: 30-July-19, 01:28:02 »

I also using same MoBo and NVMe-SSD and the same problem is happening.
As MSI support says contacted AMD to seek a solution and  if get the new code update the BIOS in the future.
Is the cause of this problem not the MSI side but the problem with AMD's AGESA??

paganister

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #11 on: 31-July-19, 15:40:38 »

Glad I saw this - thought I was going mad or I had a fault with my case as my HDD light is constantly on too. Tried moving the HDD LED connector to all other JFP1 slots out of chance that it might work, but always resulted in a button not working or the LED light not lighting at all. Just seems to have the same behavour as the Power LED.

I also have a X570 Carbon Wifi and an NVMe drive installed.

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #12 on: 31-July-19, 21:59:36 »

huh task manager is apparently the OS problem, no? I always check memory speed with CPU-Z :agrees:

Dremlin

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #13 on: 01-August-19, 09:11:05 »

Yeah. I also have similar problem with X570 Carbon Pro WiFi on latest BIOS firmware. HDD LED always on. First I thought I did not connect the connectors correctly. Double checked. After I thought maybe the polarity is wrong and put connector the other side. It also did not help.

scruffers

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #14 on: 02-August-19, 14:18:08 »

Same here with x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi, but I don't have an NVME drive installed, just a mix of SATA SSDs and HDDs. I was slightly worried my board was duff...

Let's hope this gets fixed soon, I refer to the HDD LED a lot, I'm just used to it since you can't hear SSDs :P

recepelicevik

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #15 on: 05-August-19, 16:11:43 »

My motherboard same issuse X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi

Case BeQuiet Silent Base 801

All connection double check HDD led always on mode.

Only 2 SATA HDD connected no M.2

antmano84

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #16 on: 14-August-19, 12:06:46 »

Hi,
I have also have X570 Pro carbon and NVME drive.
I also have the problem that The case HDD light is always on.

aidil.ashari

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #17 on: 25-August-19, 03:01:38 »

Hello,
[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]
2/ Do a clear CMOS:
- Either
   Set
Hoping it shall help,
I have tried the steps. but haven't succeeded, maybe the bios will be fixed?

aidil.ashari

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #18 on: 25-August-19, 03:03:44 »

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #19 on: 25-August-19, 03:42:22 »

If you have:
- done all I explained, we must conclude that it is a bug of your bios version! :undecided:
- already loaded the last version available, ask for a new one (beta) to MSI: >>How to contact MSI<<.
Have a good day,

psygnosi

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #20 on: 08-September-19, 19:53:58 »

I also have the MSI x570 Gaming Pro carbon and the hd led is also always on.  I contacted tech support by email and I was told to RMA the board but the HD Led light always on does not affect the board in any way.  They also told me that a bios update would not fix this issue.  Looks like i'm going to go and save up for a Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master or the Asus x570 Prime Pro motherboard.  For a premium/mid range MSI motherboard, this is unacceptable.  Its bad enough that the lower end MSI x570 boards fail on the Gamer Nexus VRM testing and now this.  I'm starting to regret my choice now....

Did a video on this board:  

Should I do a video on the HD LED light always on?  I think this should be addressed and potential buyers should be aware of this issue.

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #21 on: 08-September-19, 22:52:59 »

if MSI mentioned RMA would fix it, then why do you refuse to do that @@ probably becuz it only affects minor users? just my guess

Parallax Abstraction

• SERGEANT
  • mixer.com/PXAbstraction
    • Parallax Abstraction
« Reply #22 on: 09-September-19, 10:06:20 »

I am having this issue as well., I have two NVME drives installed, plus a SATA SSD and HDD.

I've submitted a ticket to support. If this can't be fixed with a BIOS update, I'll be returning this board and buying something else from another brand. Between my original X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi having a VRM literally catch fire at first boot, having to buy another one because after 3 weeks, the RMA status is still "no stock available" and now this, it's clear quality standards have slipped at MSI with the X570 range. I'm not RMAing a board for another 3+ weeks for this issue.

Really hope software can fix this.

Parallax Abstraction

• SERGEANT
    • Parallax Abstraction
« Reply #23 on: 09-September-19, 12:58:48 »

Support responded to my ticket and their response was to ask if I plugged in the leads backwards or not. Sigh.

I linked them this thread as proof that the issue is affecting more people and that in other cases, some appear to have been told it's a BIOS issue.

Parallax Abstraction

• SERGEANT
    • Parallax Abstraction
« Reply #24 on: 09-September-19, 14:24:46 »

For those in this thread also having this issue, I'm curious, what cases are you running? I initially blew off the support rep's suggestion that I had the leads wired wrong but hear me out. I know for a fact that leads are wired correctly because I followed the diagram and also, the LED just doesn't work at all when they're backwards but since this doesn't appear to be affecting a large number, I'm wondering if there's another common element. I have a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic. I'm just wondering if there's a chance we're all using the same case and that it could be an issue there instead. Figure it's worth a shot. :)

So, what's everyone rocking for cases who is having this issue?

Rajackar

• SERGEANT
« Reply #25 on: 13-September-19, 10:23:44 »

Hi all! Having the same issue on my x570 gaming pro carbon WiFi.
HDD led of my Fractal define S stays on all the time with sata drives.

If so many users report this it is not a random issue in my opinion. I'll also open a support ticket to let them know and link to this topic.

scruffers

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #26 on: 14-September-19, 07:07:20 »

I was also told by support that this cannot be fixed by firmware, BIOS or whatever you want to call it.

They also said that I should return the board to the place where I bought it...and that the LED staying on won't affect any function of the MB...yeah right, except the HDD led function lol *facepalm*

[snip]...but since this doesn't appear to be affecting a large number, I'm wondering if there's another common element...[snip]
How do you know how many people are affected or if any are unnafected? Just curious...

Rajackar

• SERGEANT
« Reply #27 on: 15-September-19, 10:13:41 »

When researching the issue I actually found more people with this motherboard reporting the issue. I wasn't searching for this type specifically so it looks like this happens on this board more often. It's not a very bad problem but if it can be fixed it would be nice.

mormegil21

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #28 on: 25-September-19, 04:31:51 »

Hi

I'm another user witch the same issue. On x570 pro carbon wifi - hdd led is always on.
I have one M2, NVMe and 2 SATA HDD. HDD led is always on witch no difference if only M2 disc is used witch out sata hdd or all disc are used.

I checked connection to MB 2 times. result is always the same - constant light. (i even try to connect it in wrong way - but then result was no light from led at all - an this was correct behavior)

My case - Be Quiet Pure Base 600.

It will be great if this problem can be solved with some updates to bios or chipset drivers.

I have the newest bios - 7B93v13 released 2019-09-18 and problem is still visible. ;/

BR
Rafal

psygnosi

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #29 on: 04-October-19, 07:21:21 »

The x570 pro carbon is vrm trash!  I'm so happy I got rid of it and got my money back before the hardware unboxed vrm x570 review and test video. The x570 unify is what we should have all got.  It has excellent vrms and a winner!

Rajackar

• SERGEANT
« Reply #30 on: 09-October-19, 04:24:24 »

Hi

I'm another user witch the same issue. On x570 pro carbon wifi - hdd led is always on.
I have one M2, NVMe and 2 SATA HDD. HDD led is always on witch no difference if only M2 disc is used witch out sata hdd or all disc are used.

I checked connection to MB 2 times. result is always the same - constant light. (i even try to connect it in wrong way - but then result was no light from led at all - an this was correct behavior)

My case - Be Quiet Pure Base 600.

It will be great if this problem can be solved with some updates to bios or chipset drivers.

I have the newest bios - 7B93v13 released 2019-09-18 and problem is still visible. ;/

BR
Rafal
You can report it to support.
So far everyone who did got the same answer, they basically tell you that it doesn't affect the board functionality and contact the store where you bought it.

luigimita82

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #31 on: 25-October-19, 02:15:46 »

Same problem here with Msi x570 Pro Carbon, Hd led stay on! MSI support replied this: 

For the HDD LED issue, we have double checked that it cannot be fixed by BIOS update. And the HDD LED stays on won't affect any function of this MB. You can keep using it. If you mind this issue, you can contact the reseller (the place you bought the MB from) and send the MB for warranty.

So, i think that is hardware problem. Has anyone solved it?

Rajackar

• SERGEANT
« Reply #32 on: 28-October-19, 06:28:40 »

It's very annoying that MSI support doesn't acknowledge this as a common issue.
Even though the PC is working ok I'm considering taking this up with the store and see if I can get a refund or change to another board. I'm kind of disappointed with this board in general (also the VRM issues) and all the problems dragoncenter is causing is adding to the idea I of changing to another brand.

solventh

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #33 on: 02-November-19, 09:00:36 »

i have the same issue with 1 nvme, 3-4 sata hdd & ssds on coolermaster silencio 650.

msi.. you were the most trusted motherboard manufacturer for me til this purchase..

anyone tried the new 1.4 bios to see if anything changes?

Rajackar

• SERGEANT
« Reply #34 on: 04-November-19, 03:46:13 »

Running the beta BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.4 and no change.
Maybe support doesn't pass on this information ar it is an actual hardware issue .
Pages: [1]   Go Up