Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2nd Ram slot stopped working  (Read 262 times)

ollimarcTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
2nd Ram slot stopped working
« on: 15-July-19, 06:17:58 »

Hi,

I have a MSI GP70 2PE Leopard since a few years now. Until today I used both Ram slots (8gb each). Now the Laptop did not start anymore and I started to look for whats wrong. After removing the 2nd Ram it worked again. If I put the RAM back in it doesnt work (startup). I just bought another Ram bar with the same result. So somehow it is the Laptop Motherboard I suppose.

What can I do? Is this issue known?

Thanks
Olli

ollimarcTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: 2nd Ram slot stopped working
« Reply #1 on: 17-July-19, 13:42:01 »

please help someone.. cant use that laptop properly

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
« Reply #2 on: 17-July-19, 15:30:27 »

Hi Olli,

There's not much anyone here can do. We're all just end-users like you.

Since you've used both memory modules for a number of years without problem and the notebook suddenly stopped booting when the second one is present, that leaves just two possibilities: (1) the second memory module has failed, or (2) the motherboard is beginning to fail.

It should be easy to test the memory module and you didn't need to buy a new one to do it. Simply remove the good memory module from slot 1 and install the second memory module in slot 1. Since slot 1 is still working, if the second memory module works there, you'll know that it is okay and slot 2 is probably bad. In similar fashion you can also confirm that your new memory module is good by trying it in slot 1, also.

If slot 2 is bad, it's time to save for another notebook. In that case, if you need to keep your GP70 2PE alive, the only option I can think of is to buy a used motherboard on eBay. Or buy an entire GP70 2PE on eBay and you'll have a notebook full of spare parts from which you can pick the best to assemble a working model. However, if you replace the motherboard, your copy of Microsoft Windows may need to be re-authenticated. You'll have to contact MSI and/or Microsoft for help with that. My advice would be to try and obtain your Windows product key before you make the swap.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

ollimarcTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 20-July-19, 13:21:41 »

thanks david.
Pages: [1]   Go Up