Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boot from M.2 SSD  (Read 250 times)

varniumTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Boot from M.2 SSD
« on: 16-July-19, 03:14:39 »

I have an MSI MEG X299 Creation. I installed 4x8GB of RAM (Quad Channel enabled), 2x MSI nVidia GTX 1070 SLI-enabled, 3x Seagate HDD, 2x Samsung EVO Plus M.2 nVMe. I used a USB flash drive to install Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. The installation process were fine until mid part. Just after Windows finished doing the "file expansion" part, it usually reboots to the drive in which Windows was installed. Now this is where it got complicated.

The Windows is installed on one of the M.2 SSD (Samsung EVO), and the other M.2 SSD is empty. My BIOS is able to detect both of them and I have selected the M.2 SSD as the bootable drive. Unfortunately, my PC never wanted to boot from M.2 SSD, where the Windows was installed.

Is there other configuration that I must do?

pandaz

• CAPTAIN
Re: Boot from M.2 SSD
« Reply #1 on: 19-July-19, 04:56:51 »

if you simplified your setup, to remove all other HDD and just leave 2 M.2 SSD,  can you sucessfully boot up to your system?

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #2 on: 19-July-19, 06:11:02 »

Hello,
To be able to boot on a NVMe drive, you have to:
- in bios setup, set "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" at "Enabled" or "UEFI",
- use a NVMe drive GPT initialized (not MBR).
Windows 7 beeing an older OS, it does not manage goodly the last point. My suggest:
- Keep connected only the NVMe drive you want to use as boot drive. Disconnect all others, including the other NVMe.
- Enter in bios setup and configured "Windows 10 WHQL Support" as required.
- At the beginning of the install, remove ALL the partitions on the NVMe drive before to continue: depending of the Windows 7 distribution, an empty disk will be reinitialized as GPT.
Hoping it shall help,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

varniumTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 20-July-19, 20:49:57 »

Thank you for the suggestions guys. After days of browsing through internet & working out my PC, it turns out that there's several things that must be done.

• Use the Gigabyte Windows USB Installation Tool (https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility/Motherboard), regardless of which motherboard brand you use. It's silly that MSI doesn't provide such magnificent tool!
  • Let the tool inject USB drivers, NVME drivers, and other packages to your Windows installer, in your USB drive.
  • In BIOS setting, make sure that XHCI hand off is enabled. Don't care about the Windows 10 WHQL support stuff and set it as disabled is still fine.
  • Make sure that all conventional drives (Seagate) are disconnected from the motherboard, in order to force Windows to create a "SYSTEM RESERVED" partition on the SSD drives, when you create a new partition, during Windows installation.
  • Make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from SSD, when Windows is restarting (after expanding its file). And plug out the USB drive when it is restarting.
  • Voila, you'll have a normal Windows installation.

pandaz

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #4 on: 21-July-19, 20:59:11 »

MSI have the Smart tool which in X299 case could be found inside the Dragon center but if you want to download separately,
it could be found in other Non Dragon center mb like below:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS.html#down-utility

Smart tool could help you make USB windows installation storage drive :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up