Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Z390 Godlike overclocking  (Read 635 times)

erland.sandsengenTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Help with Z390 Godlike overclocking
« on: 07-August-19, 10:36:58 »

Hi,

I just purchased what I like to call a balls to the walls PC, and I need some help understanding MSI overclocking.. After coming from 10 years+ of Asus motherboards.

I have an I9-9900K, and I want to overclock it. So I started off with 5,0GHz and 1,3V.. I get 5GHz, my problem is that the motherboard refuses to listen to me regarding voltage. Running hwmonitor, the board pushes 1,32V no matter what I tell it to.

In BIOS I set it to 1,3V override on Vcore, and that should do it, right? I tried dragon center too, and I set it to 1,3V there too.. Still it reports 1,32V.

Help?

Thanks

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with Z390 Godlike overclocking
« Reply #1 on: 07-August-19, 11:01:08 »

Hi

MSI BIOS are not that tight / strict with user settings. I think it takes some additional settings (Ln2?) to get things tighter.
It gives it extra voltage to maintain stability, as very likely straight 1.300v would cause reboots / BSODs.
I have set mine to 1.4v to get 5.0GHz out of my 9900k (also Godlike board). And it jumps between 1.392v and 1.402v, so not huge difference really.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32.
99% of issues would be solved if people would read the manual first.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 07-August-19, 11:27:51 »

Hi

MSI BIOS are not that tight / strict with user settings. I think it takes some additional settings (Ln2?) to get things tighter.
It gives it extra voltage to maintain stability, as very likely straight 1.300v would cause reboots / BSODs.
I have set mine to 1.4v to get 5.0GHz out of my 9900k (also Godlike board). And it jumps between 1.392v and 1.402v, so not huge difference really.
Thanks!

If my settings varied in the 0,00x range, like yours, I would be fine with it. But when it varies 0,0x, then its not ok with me. I'll look into it thanks.

Just to mention I am using a Corsair AX1200i and 2x8-pin EPS connectors to the motherboard, and my voltages in are very good and stable..

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 07-August-19, 13:18:20 »

Make sure you run 7B10v17 BIOS.
Later tonight / tomorrow I'll post some SS from my BIOS, maybe that will help you get a bit more stable voltages.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Chike

• GENERAL
« Reply #4 on: 07-August-19, 13:33:31 »

Set it on 1.28v then, ot just ignore the vcore reading LOL.
But when you use override does it not set this voltage all the time regardless of load?
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K R2.0 BIOS ver. 0903 2/26/2016
CPU: i5-4670k
Cooler: CNPS10x Performa
Memory: F3-2400C11D-16GXM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 FTW ACX 2.0
SSD: 1. Samsung PM981 512GB, 2.  SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB
HDD: WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0
PSU: Antec 500W VP500PC
OS: Windows 10 Home 1903 64-bit / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Case: Compucase 6C60

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 07-August-19, 14:55:24 »

But when you use override does it not set this voltage all the time regardless of load?
Yes, override should keep specific voltage whether idle or full load.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 07-August-19, 17:51:45 »

Make sure you run 7B10v17 BIOS.
Later tonight / tomorrow I'll post some SS from my BIOS, maybe that will help you get a bit more stable voltages.
Installed the newest BIOS I could find on MSIs site, E7B10IMS.170 I guess that translates into 7B10v17 as you say.

I appreciate it, BIOS also reports higher vcore than set override vcore voltage.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #7 on: 07-August-19, 17:58:54 »

Set it on 1.28v then, ot just ignore the vcore reading LOL.
I tried lower than 1.3v too, yes. And in BIOS and software readers it reports a little higher than set override vcore voltage. 1.28v results in 1.29v. But even so, it goes back to the same voltage, 1,32v under load.

I have a feeling that it's MSI trying to be protective with some undervolting protection.. only thing I dared to change there was "CPU loadline calibration control", which I set to "Mode 3".

Also, it's not the reporting that bothers me, it's that the temps get higher with a higher voltage, obviously. And my goal, is as any overclocker.. Get highest MHz, with lowest possible voltage.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 07-August-19, 18:31:14 »

Ok so I lied to you (without intention).
I have 1.375v set, and it goes up to 1.402v
But if that's what keeps my 5.0GHz stable, then happy for it to do so ;D

I didn't realise, but then didn't care as 5.0GHz was my goal. And due to weather my CPU started to hit high 70s, I have literally just reduced down to 1.35v and 4.8GHz. And that's where it seems to be quite stabilised voltage, jumps between 1.34 and 1.36v

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #9 on: 07-August-19, 19:07:12 »

Ok so I lied to you (without intention).
I have 1.375v set, and it goes up to 1.402v
But if that's what keeps my 5.0GHz stable, then happy for it to do so ;D

I didn't realise, but then didn't care as 5.0GHz was my goal. And due to weather my CPU started to hit high 70s, I have literally just reduced down to 1.35v and 4.8GHz. And that's where it seems to be quite stabilised voltage, jumps between 1.34 and 1.36v
Ah, I want mine to generate low heat, not too loud, while overclocked.. High expectations from a 9900k. I don't want to generate too much heat in the case for my 2x 2080Tis, the top card is already struggling keeping it below 82°C at 95-98% load without clocking down.

Anyways, to me it turns out the board has a undervolting protection, probably built in for every CPU model. It is set to 1,3V for i9-9900k I guess.

I turned undervolting on 400mv, and now it allowed me to run 1,29V. I found this out by turning on the boards LN2 extreme overclocking profile.

Is the LN2 Extreme profile safe to use over extended periods of time? Or should I just stick to only removing the undervolting restriction?

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #10 on: 07-August-19, 22:21:56 »

how about try applying override+offset mode, and apply the discrepancy to a negative offset (-0.02 in your case). so next time no matter which vcore you set, it will keep at the value.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #11 on: 08-August-19, 00:02:07 »

how about try applying override+offset mode, and apply the discrepancy to a negative offset (-0.02 in your case). so next time no matter which vcore you set, it will keep at the value.
So, I've figured it all out, I think.. Unless I am being fooled.

I tried putting it to 4,7GHz and 1,25V. Still reported 1,3V, but the W TDP was much lower and temps got down to around 60°C.. Well that is "obvious" I thought to myself, but decided to try cranking it up again.

I am now running 1,3V@5,03GHz at around 70­°C with Prime95 running on all 16 Threads.

So conclusion is that the board reports wrong Vcore temps? Even though it still applies the OC values set?

https://imgur.com/a/hXG5Gxp

Another question is.. MSI themselves and another vid I saw recommends that you have lower Cache clock than core clock? Three steps down as a rule of thumb.

Edit: Apparently way too long since I hung out on forums, so now I am not even sure how to make pictures work on forums with links from hosting sites.. Even though I did try to use the add picture button :think:

Chike

• GENERAL
« Reply #12 on: 08-August-19, 02:46:19 »

I am now running 1,3V@5,03GHz at around 70­°C with Prime95 running on all 16 Threads.

So conclusion is that the board reports wrong Vcore temps? Even though it still applies the OC values set?
Is that Prime95 with AVX and AVX2? Very nice temperatures
See what core temeratures are like with HWiNFOm they should not be very different from package temperature.

https://imgur.com/a/hXG5Gxp

Another question is.. MSI themselves and another vid I saw recommends that you have lower Cache clock than core clock? Three steps down as a rule of thumb.
Seriously Cache at 4.7GHz? thats nice.
IDK but my ASUS board set the cache to 3800MHz which is the max turbo frequency, while both MSI and GIGABYTE boards had set it to 3400MHz which is the base frequency, so it seems opinions vary.
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K R2.0 BIOS ver. 0903 2/26/2016
CPU: i5-4670k
Cooler: CNPS10x Performa
Memory: F3-2400C11D-16GXM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 FTW ACX 2.0
SSD: 1. Samsung PM981 512GB, 2.  SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB
HDD: WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0
PSU: Antec 500W VP500PC
OS: Windows 10 Home 1903 64-bit / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Case: Compucase 6C60

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 08-August-19, 17:49:10 »

Cache clock doesn't affect performance, not to the degree that it's worth keeping it high. Whenever I had my i7 6700K and 9900K overclock, my cache was always at least 0.4GHz lower than multiplier.
Also, XMP affects voltages and temps as well. I think that's where I got my CPU at 1.4v and high 70s when at 5.0GHz.

Pages: [1]   Go Up