Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No OC options in BIOS with stable release. (B450 Pro Carbon AC and R5 3600)  (Read 674 times)

lineage98Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to tell that I had the same issue that everyone had with the red CPU light and flashback LED flashing 3 times after I tried to update the bios and doing nothing.
Looks like the problem is in the cluster size of the flash drive. For whatever reason it's readable only with 32 block division. Format the drive and copy the BIOS file there and it should read it without issues. Got my CPU to work on the beta bios, but it would boot once every 3 times and had really long windows logon time.

The CPU is working on 1.35-1.41v all the time for me as well as many people have reported. Got it fixed by setting the power plan to Windows power-efficient and CPU works on 2.2GHz and 0.9v.The only problem that even under Benchmarks it doesn't switch to higher frequencies (4GHZ+). Setting it to balances drops the voltage as well, but it spikes all the time from every action so I set it to that for now. The workaround is setting it to high-performance mode when you plan to game or get some work done.I have read AMD reply on reddit about this, but even in CPU Z it was not low except moments of doing nothing without apps launched so settled on the power-saving plan.

That is all now somehow resolved, but I run into the following problem.

On the stable release of the BIOS, there are no overclocking options available for the CPU (Cannot change clock or voltages) and any changes to the RAM except XMP profile crashes the system.PBO options are all there and functioning. Same thing in the Ryzen master and MSI control center even if its a 30 Mhz change. The only thing that is working is auto overclocking options and PBO presets.

I'm on windows 10 1903. Did Microsoft push some security/UEFI update or is this MSI doing? Or just something wrong with my system? Can anyone confirm?

AlasPoorJoric

• CORPORAL

Yeah, I have all the same issues. OC bios options aren't selectable/changeable. Can't change the RAM timings and the XMP profile isn't setting the tRC correctly.
Also my processor always seems to sit at 4.2Ghz and 1.432v+ even at idle unless I select the AMD Ryzen Power Saver mode.
Funnily enough I was running it for a whle without the chipset drivers installed and it didn't have that issue. In fact HWMonitor and CPU-Z were reporting it clocking lower than 3.0Ghz when idling and ramping up to 4.2Ghz under load. In the microsoft Power Saver mode the CPU clocks down to 2.2Ghz and 0.928v. In the AMD Ryzen Power Saver it sits at 3.3Ghz and 1.344v at idle, but only clocks up to 4.124Ghz under load instead of 4.2ghz.
Weirdly the voltage seems higher at idle than when running a stress test like Prime95.
I also have the issue where the fans spin up but it fails to post. It happened when I first installed the CPU after flashing the bios to 7885v16. It wouldn't boot until I used version 7B86v17beta.
Today I tried to use M-Flash in the full bios V17 update. It wouldn't boot after that until I used the flashback option. Previously I'd had the same issue and it was resolved by rebooting a few times, and failing that by clearing the CMOS.

lineage98Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Yeah, I have all the same issues. OC bios options aren't selectable/changeable. Can't change the RAM timings and the XMP profile isn't setting the tRC correctly. Also my processor always seems to sit at 4.2Ghz and 1.432v+ even at idle unless I select the AMD Ryzen Power Saver mode. Funnily enough I was running it for a whle without the chipset drivers installed and it didn't have that issue. In fact HWMonitor and CPU-Z were reporting it clocking lower than 3.0Ghz when idling and ramping up to 4.2Ghz under load. In the microsoft Power Saver mode the CPU clocks down to 2.2Ghz and 0.928v. In the AMD Ryzen Power Saver it sits at 3.3Ghz and 1.344v at idle, but only clocks up to 4.124Ghz under load instead of 4.2ghz. Weirdly the voltage seems higher at idle than when running a stress test like Prime95. I also have the issue where the fans spin up but it fails to post. It happened when I first installed the CPU after flashing the bios to 7885v16. It wouldn't boot until I used version 7B86v17beta. Today I tried to use M-Flash in the full bios V17 update. It wouldn't boot after that until I used the flashback option. Previously I'd had the same issue and it was resolved by rebooting a few times and failing that by clearing the CMOS.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was not completely clear. All the usual MSI options are there (as far as can tell from the screenshots seen, because this is my first MSI board), but I'm not able to select settings for almost any of the available entries.
I attached my BIOS images so you can confirm its completely the same for you. For example, as it can be seen I cannot change anything related to CPU. (It set to auto and there is nothing to select from like multiplayer)
Do you have the same mobo+CPU combo or some other pair of old MSI MB with new BIOS?

https://ibb.co/CsypwZv
https://ibb.co/ThtSsHZ
https://ibb.co/PwLj6x8
https://ibb.co/jZDCK9w

I can select RAM frequency and FCLK and UMCLOCK and XMP  but that's about it. In the DRAM frequencies only 1 timing available and some sub-settings.
But core voltages and other settings are available. The CPU OC is not such a problem since R5 goes close to maxed out of the box, but still I would like to overclock it since it was advertised as an available option and for tests.
Mostly disappointed in missing RAM  configuration since I got a CL14 3200 Mhz Flare kit that I wanted to try out and reach the max 3600 Mhz for 1:1 memory and Fclock ratio.

The voltages are mostly okay. If the problem is in pooling from sensors I would expect AMD to have it normal on Ryzen master, but that shows high voltage as well. But this post is not about that.

AlasPoorJoric

• CORPORAL

I have the exact same board and processor combo, but I'm using G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GVK Ripjaws V RAM 16-16-16-36.
The board was new (I wanted the features, but didn't need PCIe 4.0 and didn't want a chipset cooling fan due to many previous bad experiences).
I flashed to the v16 bios, V17beta and V17 and it was essentially the same with each. The options look identical to yours. I've also had issues with it failing to post when coming out of sleep, on power up and when selecting the M-Flash option in the bios (it says it'll reset in bios flash mode but just failed to post and that time wouldn't post with multiple power cycles until I used flashback to upgrade the bios again).

The clock speed and voltage readouts are probably unrelated to the bios. It just struck me as strange behaviour compared to speed stepping in every other device I've ever used, and strange that the AMD chipset drivers power modes would work that way when the standard windows power saving modes work as I'd expect.

lineage98Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Then we still are not sure if this is only a pro Carbon issue or somebody else got locked out from overclocking as well :D
I could imagine RAM crashing would be related to some RAM type, but unlikely it just went poof.
So mostly like me as I started v 17. Couldn't train in RAM at all at that time, not sure if overclocking was active then.
There were some issues with the boot media, but lucked out that I had a few drives.
Does it crash for you as well when you try to change anything related to CPU clocks or RAM ?

I think that maybe indeed the readings are just pooling times and short spikes. After I uninstalled the drivers that were from the MSI webpage and installed the ones from the AMD. My system is more stable now voltage wise and works as I would expect it to. If you have a similar situation .. give it a try.

AlasPoorJoric

• CORPORAL

I haven't tried using the Control Centre software to overclock, mostly because I was looking at the RAM settings and it doesn't allow you to adjust tRC anyway.
I did install the latest B450 drivers from the AMD website though, and it's had no effect on the clock speed and voltage behaviour.

lineage98Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

The command center does not, but you can check Ryzen master. All the clocks settings are available from windows, but you need to reboot anyway. So it fails to POST that's it. You most likely would need to clear the CMOS via battery reseat as the jumper didn't work for me in this case.
After you confirmed that you have the same HW I opened a TT to the technical support of MSI. Lets what they will respond.
Probably just my luck that this helped. So take that with a shovel of salt )

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL

can you try go to BIOS\Overclocking\OC Explore Mode change it to Expert mode and check your Advanced DRAM Configuration again. Do you see more option for DRAM timing?

AlasPoorJoric

• CORPORAL

can you try go to BIOS\Overclocking\OC Explore Mode change it to Expert mode and check your Advanced DRAM Configuration again. Do you see more option for DRAM timing?

No. There's no such setting.

lineage98Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Hello and thanks for pointing out the obvious.

When I have seen such behavior that was my first thought. That there is some kind of toggle so the users won't be able to do it by mistake so I looked through the tabs to find it..but there is no such options.
As this is my first MSI board I didn't know where it was, but If  I go by the old BIOS screenshots it should be the first option in the Advanced--> OC tab right above the CPU ratio. And as you can see on the screenshot it's not there. I decided that they just removed it since my old intel board didn't have any safety measures in place.
Did they move it somewhere in the GSE-lite BIOS or its there for you, but missing for us for some reason?

Nichrome

• Global Moderator

Hi

I got some screens to show you that once you enable expert mode, you should have everything visible.

I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32

lineage98Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Hey got it sorted out.
A bit of misunderstanding,BIOS error and inconsistency with how they rolled out the update that got us confused :D

Going by the screenshots provided for some people on the new BIOS looks like all the options are the same as mine currently, but only after selecting Expert profile.
When I just entered the digits (without clicking or pressing enter, this is the LOL part of my post, like who does such a thing without confirmation  :) ) in the field they applied and I still had reboots when doing it, but at least they worked as intended.
I reflashed the BIOS again and after that everything went without a hitch.

Not sure if availability to overclock from the get-go was intended to save space in the chip or oversight since other people have profiles.
I have left my input to the support team. Maybe they will look into it if that was just something they didn't notice.

AlasPoorJoric

• CORPORAL

I'm updated to the 1.70 version of the bios (latest on the MSI website) release date 7/9/19, and I don't have an OC Explore Mode option.
There's nothing there.

lineage98Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Yeah, it's not there, but if you just enter the value on your numpad while the option you want to change is selected you will be able to do it.
Looks like for us the Exper mode is the default and only one. That is If your situation is completely like mine.

AlasPoorJoric

• CORPORAL

Yeah, it's not there, but if you just enter the value on your numpad while the option you want to change is selected you will be able to do it.
Looks like for us the Exper mode is the default and only one. That is If your situation is completely like mine.

Now I feel like an idiot. Yeah... I manually entered tRC 52 and command rate 1T and it worked, no issue.
The option just isn't enclosed in brackets and there's no indication that you've selected it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up