Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ryzen 3000 on x570  (Read 844 times)

dwgreenbergTopic starter

• SERGEANT
Ryzen 3000 on x570
« on: 26-August-19, 12:50:24 »

Is overclocking Ryzen 3000 cpu's on x570 boards a waste of time?

From what I can see people are only able to get about 200mhz more.

Or do you get bigger boosts on MSI boards that make up for the low boost people are getting with the MSI bios?

pandaz

• MAJOR
Re: Ryzen 3000 on x570
« Reply #1 on: 11-September-19, 04:55:16 »

I think still depends, if you want stable system then there is no need to do OC,
but if you want to play around with OC, you could check out other reviewers to check how to attain higher OC frequency.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14603/the-msi-meg-x570-ace-motherboard-review/8

buddyw53

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #2 on: 13-September-19, 09:49:23 »

Is overclocking Ryzen 3000 cpu's on x570 boards a waste of time?

From what I can see people are only able to get about 200mhz more.

Or do you get bigger boosts on MSI boards that make up for the low boost people are getting with the MSI bios?
200Mhz more than what? the base frequency?  I don't think many get a manual all-core even to the max boost frequency much less 200Mhz over.  Most get to about 4.3Ghz max, maybe 4.1 for a 3600.  That is, of course, all-core.  The performance gain from doing so is really quite small, maybe 1-5% max in FPS for gaming that is heavily multi-threaded and even less for games that are still stuck in single thread.  Same is true for desktop apps.  But single threaded games and desktop apps might actually lose performance if your CPU is one that happily boosts to max clocks (as they supposedly will do with new ABBA AGESA).

But one thing you can count on is it increases heat output tremendously.  You'll need a really good, big air cooler or 240mm (at least) AIO cooler.  For a 3900 a 360mm radiator or even custom closed loop. The box coolers just don't cut it going an all-core OC even if you are comfortable with the fan screaming inside your case.  

I have read of some who get really high all-core OC, to like 4.5Ghz on 3800 or 3700's or even 3.7Ghz on 3900X. But they're using extreme high-end motherboards that hold very steady voltage output from VRM and very good cooling, maybe even sub-ambient (not LN2 though).  They may also have the resources to 'bin-sort' through a bunch of processors to get really good ones.  In the case of 3900X's they're also doing per-CCD overclocking, so it's not truly all-core. So be careful what you may read about.

joaopaixao_7

• CORPORAL
« Reply #3 on: 25-September-19, 06:03:18 »

I dont know where you got the ideia OC a ryzen 3000 is useless.......
Fine tunning a PC is always good when you know what you are doing.
I perssonaly fine tuned my PC and it is a lot cooler and a lot faster now than stock because unlike what AMD says... when you have everything in stock and your pc enters load, cores go down in speed in order to keep up with the thermals, vcore, etc...
Once you OC Per CCX, you can put 1 CCX at the max you ryzen can handle at all times...and the rest with decriments of between 25 and 100 mhz on each CCX, and you can increase performance tremendously becouse this way your cores will not go down when in load and performance will be constant all over the board...

In my case.... in terms of fps from stock to my 4.2 all core sync = nothing changed becouse i play at 2k so core speed is not that important.
But once i put in my beta profile 4500/4400/4300/4200 my computer starts flying on benchmarking and gaming(still testing this profile and i am trying to get 4600/4500/4400/4300).....
MSI X570 MEG ACE / 2x8 TridentZ 3733cas15 FCLK 1866 / AMD 3900x 4.2Ghz 1.24vcore / Asus RTX2080 Strix OC 8Ghz 2130Mhz/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W / 2x Samsung 850Evo 256GB / 960 Evo 250GB / Evolv-X Case / MG279Q IPS 144Hz / Rog Claymore Core + Roccat Kone Emp

buddyw53

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #4 on: 27-September-19, 11:47:50 »

Is overclocking Ryzen 3000 cpu's on x570 boards a waste of time?
Largely it's a waste of time on any board, whether X570 or B450 or X470... and probably will be on B550 when it hits. Not because the fixed all-core clock increase is minor but because the actual performance improvement across a broad range of processing loads is so small and sometimes actually degraded.

Be sure to run a repeatable benchmarking utility that adequately stresses the processor through a long duration task on both lightly-threaded and fully multi-threaded workloads (Cinebench 20 is probably the best I know of). You'll probably find the multi-threaded improvement to be very minor (maybe less than 1%) and the lightly threaded scores to actually decrease by up to 1%.  Keep in mind that the vast amount of work and gaming we do is with lightly threaded, bursty tasks. These benefit most from frequent boosts to max clock speeds and your processor will never be able to do that when manually overclocked on all cores.  

Now some people have managed to get greater than the max clocks in an all-core overclock.  But they are on high-end motherboards with highly efficient 10 phase VRM's (X570 Godlike, for instance) and use very good custom close-loop cooling solutions so the processor doesn't overheat. They frequently have access to a number of CPU's to sort through and find 'golden sample' CPU's, by the way.  So be careful who you're get 'encouragement' from because they might just drag you down a rabbit hole if you don't have those resources too.

I prefer to enable PBO and push the parameters to max and encourage the CPU to boost more freely.  It helps a few points with CB20 scores, both MT scores and the all-important ST scores.
Pages: [1]   Go Up