Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help - first build in awhile - new ryzen 5 3600 - cpu debug light solid  (Read 890 times)

bensonr2Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Hi, this is my first build in awhile. I'm building it to run my emulation arcade which until now was just an hp I salvaged from an old employer. In addition to emulation I run a lot of modern fight games and was hitting the limits of the single fan 1050 video card.

So this is my build:

Board: MSI B450-A Pro AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard
BIOS:  
VGA: PowerColor Red Dragon AXRX Radeon RX 570 Dual-Fan 4GB GDDR5
PSU:  EVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus ATX Power Supply)
CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MEM: HyperX Predator 8GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600
HDD/SSD: Inland Professional 480GB SSD 3D TLC NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5"
COOLER: Wraith Stealth
Keyboard: 
Mouse: 
OC:  None

Now I saw that for b450 chipset its needs to be updated first for the Ryzen 5 3600. I had some issues at first with the bios flash but I am relatively sure I was successful. I hink my initial problem was I had the wrong b450 pro driver as there were several sub variants. But after I got the right one the bios flash led flashed for about 5 minutes which I believe means it was installing.

But even after that as soon as I turn everything on the cpu debug white light comes on and stays solid. And the pc never boots.

Any suggestions?

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL

remove 24 pin power connector and unplug CMOS battery and wait for 5 mins, see if that helps

paprika79

• STAFF SERGEANT

This is totally unrelated to your issue but if you are running emulations, then you really might want to invest in some more RAM. 8GB is generally not much these days anymore and emulators do need a decent ammount of ram they have to assign to the emulated device. With only 8GB there isn't much left for your PC to work with, if any at all.

Also, once you cleared the cmos and managed to get the board to boot. You should enable virtualization to increase performance for emulators.

bensonr2Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I already tried clearing cmos by removing the battery. No difference.

I also noticed the GPU fans are not spinning. But I just assumed that since the cpu light is on its not getting far enough to turn on the gpu.

montyac

• MAJOR

Your GPU fan should spin, has nothing to do with the CPU led light. Have you updated the bios?

bensonr2Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

So I have done some more troubleshooting.

I put in my old single fan, no external power gpu. That shows signs of life when I plug in. But again no difference. 

I went back to microcenter and picked up the cheapest compatible processor they had, an AMD Athlon 200GE.

That should have been supported out of the box and it makes no difference.

I tried running with no GPU and still nothing. No post screen, the cpu debug light stays lit.

Any new ideas?

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

you can try flashing to older BIOS A5 via flashback++
http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B86vA5.zip

then see if can boot with this old CPU

I assume the board never booted yet, under any conditions, is this correct?
If yes:
then remove the CPU and check board for any bented pins with magni-glass
also have you tried to boot with board out of PC case placed over wooden/board_box?

bensonr2Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I have the mb out on small wood table completely out of the case.

I also was able to get another power supply for testing and I am still getting the same result.

Thanks for providing the old version.

I'm going to try flashing to the older fw then I will let you know.

I don't have a magnifying glass handy. But I have pretty good vision for small details plus I can use my phone to zoom on anything that looks out of sorts.

bensonr2Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I'm trying to flash but I don't think its taking it.

I'm getting 2 flashes followed by a solid white light. I've tried a couple different usb drives, formatted fat32 mbr the file renamed msi.rom in the root. I'm using the smallest I have around, which is 16gb.

Any tips for running the bios flash?

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

double check the instructions:

I'm getting 2 flashes followed by a solid white light.

and what happens next?
and how long did you waited?
have you connected the USB drive in correct USB port too?

bensonr2Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I'm assuming the correct port is the one at the bottom adjacent to the flash button.

In any case I did try the port above that one in case. And I get the same result. Two flashes followed by solid. I guessed that that meant it failed to read my drive or find the file.

I gave it a little over 5 minutes before giving up. I will try giving it closer to ten.

Also can you confirm that my memory I listed is supported? Also is it ok to use only 1 dimm?

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

I'm assuming the correct port is the one at the bottom adjacent to the flash button.

not sure which one you mean
see the correct one in green:

Also can you confirm that my memory I listed is supported?

you can can check supported memory by CPU here:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-A-PRO#support-cpu

however for a flashing it should not matters
but can you can remove everything [all components, but to leave only PSU connected to mainboard via CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1]

Also is it ok to use only 1 dimm?

yes for troubleshooting its recommended to do this,
and to remove any other components that are not required for boot.
if you try to boot after the successfully flashing.
when you use 1 memory stick only,
install it in DIMMC1 slot.

bensonr2Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

That's not what my rear io panel looks like. Picture of mine is attached.

paprika79

• STAFF SERGEANT

You got the right USB port the first ime.

So that board either doesn't like any of the USB sticks you are using or there is something wrong with the board and you might have to get it replaced.

bensonr2Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Thank you for the confirmation that I am not crazy.

I borrowed an older1 gb thumb drive from work that I am going to try when I get home.

In addition one of my colleagues that builds regularly looked at my parts listed and the listed board spec and pointed out that my memory's speed is listed as only being supported in OC. So I'm going to get a lower speced module to replace it with as well.

If those two things don't make a difference I am going to exchange the board tomorrow.

bensonr2Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

No luck with anything.

This was more hassle then I thought it would be; and seeing the various threads of people with similar issue is giving me pause.

I'm going to see tomorrow if I can exchange towards an x570 board.

paprika79

• STAFF SERGEANT

pointed out that my memory's speed is listed as only being supported in OC.
That is absolutely normal for DDR4 Memory. The only way to get them to run at advertised speeds is to activate XMP profile, which basically overclocks the ram. If you buy DDR4 3200Mhz (1600Mhz), most commonly that will actually only be 2400Mhz (1200Mhz)
Pages: [1]   Go Up