Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B450M Mortar no screen/POST issue  (Read 241 times)

GnomeKiller21Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
B450M Mortar no screen/POST issue
« on: 18-August-19, 13:56:56 »

Hello,

I'm building my very first PC and I'm at a total loss. I have read many threads on this forum regarding the B450M Mortar Motherboard and POST problems but I still can't find a solution.

So first of all, here are all the specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DIMM 3200 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16). These are 2 8GB sticks so I can use Dual channel.
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 Full Modular

The 2 RAM sticks are connected to DIMMA2 and DIMMB2.

When I start my PC the CPU debug LED blinks, the DRAM LED doesn't blink, the VGA LED blinks and the boot LED blinks. After that all the debug LED's are off, so I assume that everything was succesfull and that the problem isn't my CPU or GPU. Fans are also spinning, backlight is on, etc. But I get no signal to my monitor or TV. I use a HDMI connection for this.

I have tried to do a CMOS reset, but as far as I know this didn't help. I also downgraded my BIOS to V1.40, again nothing. I read that Ryzen has a long first setup time. I waited 10 min an still no result.

The biggest problem is that I don't know if the thing boots correctly since I don't get a signal on my screen. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a Displayport cable and see if this works (apparently DP is default connection on Radeon) and if that's does't work than I will get is out of the case and start testing with one RAM stick in DIMMA2 to make sure it's not a RAM issue.

Other than that I have no idea what I can do next. What do you guys think about my situation? Do you think the board is bricked or do you think that there is a simpler solution?

On a side note, I connected a speaker to JFP2 and I don't get beeping sounds. Apparently new MSI motherboards don't give beeping sounds anymore but I'm not sure if this is true.

Thanks in advance.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
Re: B450M Mortar no screen/POST issue
« Reply #1 on: 18-August-19, 15:03:00 »

Hi

Just to double check common mistakes:
1. Connect your monitor to graphics card
2. Use a standard cable (HDMI-HDMI) etc and not anything like HDMI-DP or VGA-DVI

How did you use Flashback function? I hope you checked the manual on how to use it properly.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 18-August-19, 15:14:47 »

Hi

Just to double check common mistakes:
1. Connect your monitor to graphics card
2. Use a standard cable (HDMI-HDMI) etc and not anything like HDMI-DP or VGA-DVI

How did you use Flashback function? I hope you checked the manual on how to use it properly.
My monitor is connected to the GPU with a standard HDMI cable.

I used a 4GB USB and copied "E7B89AMS.140" to it. Then I renamed it to "MSI.ROM". After that I pluggd in the USB into the BIOS Flashback+ port and pressed the little button. The PSU was switched on and connected to the motherboard. After I pressed the button the red LED started blinking and the motherboard started up. After the LED stopped blinking the motherboard powered down and restarted itself but still no screen.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #3 on: 18-August-19, 18:17:02 »

Hello,
1/ Keep only 1 RAM stick in DIMMA2 (2nd slot from CPU) and unconnect all disks (including M2). Verify the connexion of the PSU to CPU_PWR1, ATX_PWR1 and RX570_PWR. Do a clear CMOS:
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
- Either
    . short JBAT1 during at least 20s
      (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or
    . remove the battery cell during 15mn.
- Plug the power cord and power on.
- If you have display, choose to use bios default values when asked.
2/ If you have not display, move the RX570 in PCI_E4. Do again a clear CMOS.
Hoping it shall help,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 19-August-19, 11:07:57 »

Hello,
1/ Keep only 1 RAM stick in DIMMA2 (2nd slot from CPU) and unconnect all disks (including M2). Verify the connexion of the PSU to CPU_PWR1, ATX_PWR1 and RX570_PWR. Do a clear CMOS:
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
- Either
    . short JBAT1 during at least 20s
      (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or
    . remove the battery cell during 15mn.
- Plug the power cord and power on.
- If you have display, choose to use bios default values when asked.
2/ If you have not display, move the RX570 in PCI_E4. Do again a clear CMOS.
Hoping it shall help,
Thank you. I will try these out and report back with the results.

I have also done some digging in the meantime and found this interesting thread on Tom's hardware forum. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/no-display-issue-msi-rx-580.3456202/

The person who started it has the MSI RC 580 ARMOR 8GB (I have the MSI RX 570 8GB OC) and he had similiar problems like me. Apparently the HDMI port didn't work until he booted up Windows and installed the correct drivers.

So I will first test with another cable and when that fails I'm gonna try your suggestion. Thanks again.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #5 on: 19-August-19, 11:12:24 »

Ok, thanks for the information!
Fingers crossed,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 20-August-19, 07:40:25 »

So apparently it was the HDMI port. After testing with a DVI-D cable and screen I could get into the boot menu and everything works. I'm so glad it isn't a faulty or broken component.

Thanks to the people for trying to help me with this issue.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #7 on: 20-August-19, 07:55:27 »

So apparently it was the HDMI port. After testing with a DVI-D cable and screen I could get into the boot menu and everything works. I'm so glad it isn't a faulty or broken component.
Good news, happy for you! :pompom:
Have a nice day,
Pages: [1]   Go Up