Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How to enable Ultra DMA Mode 6?  (Read 14620 times)

How to enable Ultra DMA Mode 6?
« on: 04-November-03, 10:04:15 »

I've a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Serial ATA HD. The highest mode I can achieve is Ultra ATA-100 (mode 5) and not the maximum support by Barracuda the Ultra ATA-133 (mode 6). How can I enable mode 6 in Windows XP?

« Reply #1 on: 04-November-03, 10:24:01 »

There is no such thing as UDMA for SATA drives.

« Reply #2 on: 04-November-03, 11:32:32 »

When I run the Seagate tools it clearly indicates that my HDD is operating at Ultra ATA mode 5 and is capable of mode 6. So I wonder efectively in which mode my S-ATA HD is running? (Or should I assume that best performance mode is default).

« Reply #3 on: 04-November-03, 11:37:21 »

you cant , intel chipset only support up to ATA 100 which is UDMA 5

« Reply #4 on: 04-November-03, 12:12:12 »

Thx PoRsChE

Ops, so the solution maybe be an external HDD controller. Is there any brand that you would recommend to me?

Do you thing this extra investment is worthwhile?

« Reply #5 on: 04-November-03, 12:32:34 »
  • Best Answer

• why its only a maximum bus speed it will not make your drives one bit faster than they are now

no current drive troubles an ata 100 bus or evan comes close
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    4GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850

« Reply #6 on: 04-November-03, 12:47:54 »

Isn't the specs for the SATA on Intel's ICH5 and ICH5R include:
    • The individual channels can support Serial ATA transfers up to 1.5 Gb/s (150 MB/s)
    • Point-to-point connection topology ensures dedicated 150 MB/s per device
    • In addition to the features of ICH5, the ICH5R I/O controller hub includes an integrated RAID controller that utilizes the dual Serial ATA ports for a high-performance RAID Level 0 configuration with a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 300 MB/s. By integrating the Intel RAID controller into the I/O controller hub, there are no PCI bandwidth limitations (133 MB/s) nor any loss of PCI resources (request/grant pair, PCI slot) that would typically occur with discrete PCI RAID solutions.

So when you run on SATA, the HD will already operate at these "theoretical" speeds?
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Up