Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOD'd BIOS' with ABBA  (Read 1480 times)

buddyw53Topic starter

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
MOD'd BIOS' with ABBA
« on: 19-September-19, 07:29:38 »

If you are interested you can find MOD'd BIOS for many of the AM4 boards MSI has chosen to abandon in the marketplace.  This includes many B350 and X470 boards.

The MOD's includes rolling in AMD's latest SMU microcode, v46.49, which incorporates the boosting and idle-app activity filter as well as several others.  

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1733304-agesa-fw-stack-patched-bioses-3rd-gen.html

The MOD's are being prepared and furnished by well-known overclocking and Ryzen guru The Stilt.  If you've been following, this is the guy who's done as much as anybody else to further knowledge of Ryzen even since 1st gen CPU's hit the market back in 2017.  But even so: they are modded BIOS' so proceed with that in mind.

Read through the thread as much as you can as there is a lot of good advice.  MSI's non-X570 boards are very easy to update: just use M-Flash. But be sure to rename the BIOS file to something it will recognize.

If you've a most-favored MSI B350/X370 or B450/X470 board he hasn't done you can send him a request on that forum.  Be sure to include a link to the EXACT BIOS file to use for the mod.  It doesn't seem to take him long.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
Re: MOD'd BIOS' with ABBA
« Reply #1 on: 19-September-19, 15:50:42 »

Abandoned? No.
There is always priority of newer products over older ones. Of course X570 will receive updates before X470 or even X370 will. And it's not case with just MSI. It's all around electronics industry.

Other than that, quick warning:
If moded BIOS bricks or damages your motherboard, you are out of warranty.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32

buddyw53Topic starter

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #2 on: 19-September-19, 16:55:35 »

Other than that, quick warning:
If moded BIOS bricks or damages your motherboard, you are out of warranty.
Good warning but LOL, if there's no BIOS to run my R5-3600 properly any b350 board has exactly 'zero' value to me anyway so no big loss.  And as for selling it: a question people are starting to ask now is if this is one of the MSI boards that doesn't support Ryzen 3000. To them, not getting the ABBA fix isn't supporting Ryzen 3000.

And then there's this: all the B350 boards I've looked at only have a BETA BIOS for the early Ry3k support (1003B).  From MSI maybe but BETA is BETA and a crippled BIOS at that so you're STILL taking chances.

I understand everyone abandons products in the market place, that's really no reason to let MSI off the hook for doing it when AM4 platform is so new and still growing.  They have boards (still) in some suppliers' stock.  The least they could do is be forthright and announce the boards are EOL'd on the support web pages and buy back supplier stock.

purplecofe2

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #3 on: 23-September-19, 16:57:30 »

Modded BIOS list.

Use at your own risk.

MSI B350I PRO AC - 1CMMFI
MSI B350 Tomahawk - 1OMMFI
MSI B350M BAZOOKA - 1LMMFI
MSI B350M GAMING PRO - 2NMMFI
MSI B350M MORTAR - 1MMMFI
MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC - AKMMFI
MSI B350M PRO-VDH - AJMMFI
MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON - 1NPMFI
MSI X370 KRAIT GAMING - 1JMMFI
MSI X370 SLI PLUS - 3JMMFI
MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM - 1MMMFI
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS - 1B0MFI
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC - 190MFI
MSI B450-A PRO - AA0MFI
MSI B450M GAMING PLUS - 190MFI
MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM - A9MFI
MSI B450M MORTAR - 1B1MFI
MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC - A90MFI
MSI B450 Tomahawk - 1C1MFI
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX - 331MFI
MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC - 1B0MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PLUS - AE1MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX - H11MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PRO - 1C1MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON - 2B0MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON AC - 1B2MFI
MSI X570 Godlike - 140MFI

buddyw53Topic starter

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #4 on: 23-September-19, 19:47:10 »

I've been running 1B1MFI an my B450M Mortar with a 3700X processor for a couple days now.  Updating was drama free and operation has been solid.  And the ABBA update truly does work as 4 cores boost to 4.4Ghz regularly (each at different times) throughout several hours playing Tomb Raider, Doom and BF1  The rest of the time during gaming, cores are either at 4.3-4.375Ghz or at 'idle', sleeping, to keep the processor cool.

Before this BIOS it would rarely boost to 4.4 and in games the frequency would lock around 4.2ghz with high voltage and temperature because of the constant low-level activity from Steam. The activity filter in the BIOS update fixed that.

Excellent fix from AMD... and terrible support from MSI for bogarting it.

purplecofe2

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #5 on: 25-September-19, 07:34:51 »

https://youtu.be/UQTOkshYPoQ?t=292

There is a rare boot post problem.
Hope they solve it soon.

buddyw53Topic starter

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #6 on: 25-September-19, 08:57:39 »

https://youtu.be/UQTOkshYPoQ?t=292

There is a rare boot post problem.
Hope they solve it soon.
It's been solved... problem is Jay's using a pre-preproduction sample board.  Go check his mea culpa video here:

Let's just put this to bed already and forget about it.  Us MSI owners have enough problems getting proper support for our boards without getting worked up over fake stuff like this.

BatUU

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 26-September-19, 09:29:33 »

It is a shame that MSI does not want to release BIOSes for old motherboards. The random enthusiast was able to create great BIOSes with last AGESA during one week for all abandoned MSI motherboards. MSI was not able to do this for 90 days... Just silent ignore from MSI... Worst support ever!

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 26-September-19, 17:30:48 »

MSI is updating their motherboards' BIOSes, all it takes is having a look on your product page.
And as I already stated in hundreds of threads, mainly in AMD based threads, is that MSI has to test BIOS before it gets a public release. BIOS itself is ready for couple of weeks, but without testing it cannot be described "stable" and cannot be released to the public.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

BatUU

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 04-October-19, 11:35:55 »

Anyone knows, If any updates for abandon Motherboards are comming? Or it's better just sell this MB and forget as nightmare?

montyac

• MAJOR
« Reply #10 on: 04-October-19, 11:49:02 »

Anyone knows, If any updates for abandon Motherboards are comming? Or it's better just sell this MB and forget as nightmare?

Try contacting MSI Support. They might tell you when to expect future BIOS updates.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 04-October-19, 15:54:20 »

They were not abandoned. buddyw53 spreads this kind of BS. And if not known yet, 99% of electronics manufacturers provide updates to their newest products first, and then to older ones.
There will be updates next week and week after. I don't know exact schedule and which boards will get the update, but quite few will get it.

BatUU

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #12 on: 08-October-19, 07:54:54 »

Yeh, totaly agree with you.  99% of electronics manufacturers provide updates to their newest products first.
It's a pity that MSI is in 1% that does not update their old producats at all... I was not able to find any other vendor's MB on x370 chipset  without ABBA BIOS. Even Biostar released the BIOS updates about two month ago....

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 08-October-19, 15:44:25 »

Today 4 boards from 400 series got an update, and 1 from 300 series (A320). There are yet more updates coming up.
My guess is that MSI provides updates based on number of sold motherboards.

DadsArmyDean

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #14 on: 08-October-19, 16:30:08 »

Sorry but im calling BS on an update coming anytime soon for the older boards, I have an x370 krait gaming board and the latest bios is a half arsed beta bios from July 1st that adds support for Ryzen 3000 but disables RAID functionality, the bios page says "RAID function is not yet ready and will be supported in next BIOS version" its now October and there is still no update to fix RAID on my motherboard so ye i can pretty much say they have abandoned the old boards, which is a shame as its a great board otherwise. my 3600 runs at 4.3Ghz solid with the mod'd bios though so much love to the guy who has done MSI's job for them. and while i'm having a moan about them £25 for an I/O shield MSI get a grip

l.r.gardner

• SERGEANT
« Reply #15 on: 08-October-19, 16:33:53 »

You are just going to have to wait, DadsArmyDean. I have a problem too, the newest BIOS for my B450-A Pro is totally messed up, the one before is fine though. Hopefully 1.0.0.4 AGESA AMD and the motherboard manufacturers get it right and can give us ALL a stable BIOS whether we are on 300, 400, or 500 series boards!!!

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 09-October-19, 03:30:44 »

9/10/2019 - 9 boards received ABBA update from 300 series, and 10 boards from 400 series got ABBA udpate.
They might not yet be available on MSI product page, server might need couple of hours to update. But I've just checked 3 random boards from the list I got and it's on product page already.

BatUU

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #17 on: 09-October-19, 06:43:59 »

Great news, but why beta again....Still no stable release(( I belive the next release could happent on March 2020, if they are going to develop with the same speed for x370 and x350.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 09-October-19, 12:25:44 »

Those been tested fairly well. For "stable" version it takes a lot of time.
Also there is too many updates coming from AMD to even make sense getting those stable "certified". In a second there will be yet another agesa microcode update...

DadsArmyDean

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #19 on: 09-October-19, 13:15:36 »

You are just going to have to wait, DadsArmyDean. I have a problem too, the newest BIOS for my B450-A Pro is totally messed up, the one before is fine though. Hopefully 1.0.0.4 AGESA AMD and the motherboard manufacturers get it right and can give us ALL a stable BIOS whether we are on 300, 400, or 500 series boards!!!
I don't have to wait for the ABBA update the modded one is spot on, if you ask me they delay on purpose to sell more new generation boards when people get fed up its dirty but effective i suppose,  but to make it so the only way i can have a 3000 series cpu is to lose a basic function like RAID and still not sort it months later is just plain lazy. my board came with a 3 year warranty so i expect it to be fully functional for at least the same amount of time not lose functionality so i can use a new CPU or have to stay on an older CPU. ASUS x370 boards have had this update for weeks and never lost RAID function to support the new CPUs but poor MSI can take there time, no thanks people can defend them on here all they want its thumb out of bum time.

kwsnhoc

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #20 on: 10-October-19, 09:44:31 »

Those been tested fairly well. For "stable" version it takes a lot of time.
Also there is too many updates coming from AMD to even make sense getting those stable "certified". In a second there will be yet another agesa microcode update...

But honestly, this "testing" doesn't seem to be worth a dime regarding the existance of this PCIe wake up disaster in most of the B450 boards (B450 Tomahawk MAX since BIOS 320 until latest 330 for example - there is a fixed BETA 341 somewhere here in the forums). Having a GPU blank screen at boot, several general boot issues/delays and a permanent reinstalling GPU driver in Windows after every cold boot and something like this isn't seen in tests is nearly hard to believe and might be a worth a questioning how this tests look like.

Cheers

kwsnhoc
Pages: [1]   Go Up