Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MPG x570 Gaming Edge WIFI: Ryzen 3900x not boosting  (Read 3286 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
MPG x570 Gaming Edge WIFI: Ryzen 3900x not boosting
« on: 26-September-19, 07:02:54 »

Hello,

I've noticed something which I'm not sure is a problem or perhaps is expected with newer BIOS upgrades.  I was hoping someone can chime in on.

I purchased an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU (awesome!!) and MPG x570 Gaming Edge WIFI motherboard along with appropriate memory.  I gutted my existing system and replaced the components with what I bought.  This was 4-6 weeks ago.  The motherboard came with the original BIOS.  I updated it to the latest/greatest BIOS which was 7C37v12 at the time.

Keep in mind the clock speed of the 3900x is 3.8 Ghz but it has boost speeds up to 4.6 Ghz.  I have never done anything to the BIOS when it comes to enabling or disabling OC on the CPU.  The only overclock I do is on the memory as it is DDR4 3600 so I use the XMP profile of the memory sticks.

When I first put my system together, Win10 task manager, MSI's utilities, and the BIOS screen all showed the CPU would run up to 4.2 Ghz.  It would actually fluctuate from 3.8 Ghz to 4.2 Ghz but seemed to mostly stay at 4.2 Ghz.  My assumption is the CPU was boosting above its base clock speed out of the box.

Since the initial setup of my system, multiple BIOS updates have come out.  With the board being so new, I thought it best to upgrade BIOS each time a new one was released (I never installed the BETA BIOS released for this board!!).  So, all told I have updated the BIOS 3 times if I recall correctly.  I of course have applied the periodic Windows which come out.

I'm not sure when this started, but I have noticed the CPU no longer is boosting to 4.2 Ghz.  Instead, it seems to be stuck at its base clock speed of 3.8 Ghz.  I have not made any BIOS changes when it comes to the CPU.  If the CPU is supposed to boost, then it should continue to do so yet it is not.

Is there a BIOS setting or something I need to look at to see if the boost is being blocked/disabled on this CPU?  I have poured over the BIOS settings.  I can't find anything.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Chris Smith
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  AMD Ryzen 9 3900x cooled by a Contac Silent 12 CPU Cooler
  •  MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge WIFI mobo
  •  Predator RGB 16 GB 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory
  •  Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z
  •  Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Graphics Card
  •  Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB SSD
  •  Samsung 940 512 GB SSD Drive
  •  SATA DVD
  •  OC: None (other than using high rated memory)
  •  Windows 10 Pro x64 with all latest updates

popdedih

• SERGEANT
Re: MPG x570 Gaming Edge WIFI: Ryzen 3900x not boosting
« Reply #1 on: 26-September-19, 07:31:22 »

How about if you set to 'Extreme Performance' in Dragon Center?

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #2 on: 26-September-19, 07:34:53 »

How about if you set to 'Extreme Performance' in Dragon Center?
Hmmm.... Good suggestion.  I forgot about Dragon Center.  I don't use that utility much.   But, I may have hit a setting there a while back which has caused the CPU stay at 3.6 Ghz.  I'll check into that when I get home later today and report back.

Thanks for this.
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

montyac

• MAJOR
« Reply #3 on: 26-September-19, 07:50:36 »

You can also try setting the power option in Windows to a more performance type, eg: ultimate or high performance. See if that changes the max speed.

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 26-September-19, 09:19:49 »

You can also try setting the power option in Windows to a more performance type, eg: ultimate or high performance. See if that changes the max speed.
That's a good observation and point.

I did check this.  It should be pointed out with the install of the chipset drivers there are two additional power plans which show up here, Ryzen Performance and Ryzen Balanced, if I recall correctly.  I have confirmed the system is on Ryzen Performance which is where I want it.

On a hunch, I did experiment with these power plans by choosing different plans, even the power saving ones and observing the system/CPU reaction.  I never saw the CPU speed change.  It appears to be locked right at 3.8 Ghz no matter what power plan I set the system too.

That's a good thought.  Keep 'em coming!!
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

montyac

• MAJOR
« Reply #5 on: 26-September-19, 09:24:28 »

There is a v14 BIOS on the support page. It's dated 9/18 and has the AMD ABBA code. You can try it and see if it helps.

popdedih

• SERGEANT
« Reply #6 on: 26-September-19, 10:10:58 »

I dont know how Ryzen works actually. It stay at maximum speed in Extreme Performance. Stay at default speed in Balance. There is no decrease speed at all. But actually it stay cool and fast. I monitor the cpu speed with HWmonitor.

montyac

• MAJOR
« Reply #7 on: 26-September-19, 10:18:34 »

With my 3600 I set the Windows power setting to power saver and enabled "Cool N' Quiet" in BIOS. Per HWMonitor, the CPU idles as 2199 Mhz and ramps up to 4288 Mhz at load.

popdedih

• SERGEANT
« Reply #8 on: 26-September-19, 10:37:39 »

For me, there is no change in Windows Power Plan or Ryzen Power Plan. Cpu speed only can change in Dragon Centre. Could be something wrong.

renzov

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #9 on: 26-September-19, 15:10:50 »

I have the same MB and CPU
I use the .151 beta bios ( http://msi-ftp.de:8080/main.html?download&weblink=00ea1e23fd0bafb18c7772e2d486f5af&realfilename=7C37_151.zip )......Bios is default except I have XMP on for my mem, set CSM instead of UEFI and turned off Cool-n-Quiet.
Make sure that Dragon Center is not overwriting anything by starting up windows.....you could also uninstall or change the setting in dragon center to not start up automatically.
Do not use Ryzen Master
Windows power setting is set to AMD Ryzen Balanced

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #10 on: 27-September-19, 07:29:59 »

There is a v14 BIOS on the support page. It's dated 9/18 and has the AMD ABBA code. You can try it and see if it helps.
I've actually already done that.  I am running the latest/greatest BIOS.

The only changes I've made in my BIOS are:

• enable XMP to select a high performance profile for my memory
  • disabled onboard sound (I own a creative labs sound card)
  • disabled WIFI
  • set boot to UEFI

I've done nothing with CPU or any other settings, particularly overclocking.  I was under the impression out of the box a Ryzen CPU boosted as long as it determined it could do so safely i.e. not overheat or overvolt itself.  This is what it did out of the box when I first set everything up.  Multiple BIOS updates later, this no longer works.

I don't know what to say.
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #11 on: 27-September-19, 07:34:22 »

I dont know how Ryzen works actually. It stay at maximum speed in Extreme Performance. Stay at default speed in Balance. There is no decrease speed at all. But actually it stay cool and fast. I monitor the cpu speed with HWmonitor.
I'm beginning to think I don't know how it works either.  I thought it would boost itself as fast as it could as long it didn't destroy itself.  This is what it did out of the box with the original BIOS.  I didn't have to make the CPU busy by playing a game or anything.  It did this even when just simply on the desktop doing nothing.  Now, multiple updates later, it is no longer doing that.  I just don't know.

I have changed power plan settings like crazy.  Nothing seems to help or even change anything.

I will say one thing.  Maybe the BIOS updates have changed when the CPU ramps up?  Instead of ramping up all the time, perhaps the CPU just ramps up when it is busy.  Maybe I need to play a game and drop to the desktop to see what the CPU is doing?  Hmmm....
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #12 on: 27-September-19, 07:36:47 »

With my 3600 I set the Windows power setting to power saver and enabled "Cool N' Quiet" in BIOS. Per HWMonitor, the CPU idles as 2199 Mhz and ramps up to 4288 Mhz at load.
I need to use HWMonitor and try this.  I"ve really only used Windows Task Manager for the most part while just on the desktop.  For what it is worth, the BIOS reported 4.2 Ghz in the past as well but now is stuck at 3.8 Ghz.

Maybe new BIOS updates are making the CPU run at 3.8 Ghz unless the load goes up which case causes the CPU to ramp up?  I need to check that...
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #13 on: 27-September-19, 07:38:47 »

For me, there is no change in Windows Power Plan or Ryzen Power Plan. Cpu speed only can change in Dragon Centre. Could be something wrong.
This is exactly what I'm seeing.  I can make the CPU speed ramp with Dragon Center as I discovered late last night by setting it to Performance.  But that is forcing the CPU to overclock.  I don't think it is actually boosting to that speed naturally.  I thought boost works without having to force the CPU to overclock.  The fact I only see the higher CPU speed with Dragon Center running seems to confirm that.
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #14 on: 27-September-19, 07:40:19 »

I have the same MB and CPU
I use the .151 beta bios ( http://msi-ftp.de:8080/main.html?download&weblink=00ea1e23fd0bafb18c7772e2d486f5af&realfilename=7C37_151.zip )......Bios is default except I have XMP on for my mem, set CSM instead of UEFI and turned off Cool-n-Quiet.
Make sure that Dragon Center is not overwriting anything by starting up windows.....you could also uninstall or change the setting in dragon center to not start up automatically.
Do not use Ryzen Master
Windows power setting is set to AMD Ryzen Balanced
I'm going to try this when I get home.  I haven't done this nor do I use HWMonitor.  The bad thing I am using a new BIOS than what you have.   I'll report back the results.
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

renzov

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #15 on: 27-September-19, 07:47:48 »

The bad thing I am using a new BIOS than what you have. 

Not sure what you mean here.....

The MSI logic of releasing Beta and official bios is a bit strange ......but if you understand it it also can make sense ....
as example they come to V14 (or .140 which is the same) when they first released the beta version which looking liks .141, .142, 143....etc.
Same as for the upcoming V15 (or .150), they now started to release the first beta version .151 which i'm running.
In otherwords I run the latest (beta) available at this monent for the MS X570 Gaming Edge Wifi

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #16 on: 27-September-19, 09:17:27 »

Not sure what you mean here.....

The MSI logic of releasing Beta and official bios is a bit strange ......but if you understand it it also can make sense ....
as example they come to V14 (or .140 which is the same) when they first released the beta version which looking liks .141, .142, 143....etc.
Same as for the upcoming V15 (or .150), they now started to release the first beta version .151 which i'm running.
In otherwords I run the latest (beta) available at this monent for the MS X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
I'm glad you pointed this out.  I didn't look at the numbers you posted.  The only BETA bios I've seen is version v14 which has been taken down.  The released BIOS I have is newer so I didn't go back to it.  All of this begs the question...

Where are you getting the newer BETA BIOS versions at?!  I don't see them at all and I have a second browser window opened up while staring at the BIOS download page for my board.

That maybe a moot point though.  I'm not sure how eager I am to install a BETA BIOS.  I'll try this on the released v14 BIOS and report back my finding(s).
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

renzov

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #17 on: 27-September-19, 09:22:48 »

I'm glad you pointed this out. I didn't look at the numbers you posted. The only BETA bios I've seen is version v14 which has been taken down. The released BIOS I have is newer so I didn't go back to it. All of this begs the question... Where are you getting the newer BETA BIOS versions at?! I don't see them at all and I have a second browser window opened up while staring at the BIOS download page for my board. That maybe a moot point though. I'm not sure how eager I am to install a BETA BIOS. I'll try this on the released v14 BIOS and report back my finding(s).

The V14 is not a Beta bios, but an official one.....V10 (.100 - shipping BIOS), V11(.110), V12(.120), V13(.130) and V14 (.140) are all official releases......
Here you go : http://msi-ftp.de:8080/login.html
Press Login
Directory BIOS
Directory X570
Look only at bios 7C37_1xx, In this case 7C37_151.zip

I only think that your boost does not work in Windows because of Dragon Center (and/or Ryzen Master)....so please remove that one or reset the settings of those programs (within Dragon Center you can also untick the option for starting up Dragon Center at start-up of windows.)

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #18 on: 29-September-19, 10:32:56 »

The V14 is not a Beta bios, but an official one.....V10 (.100 - shipping BIOS), V11(.110), V12(.120), V13(.130) and V14 (.140) are all official releases......
Here you go : http://msi-ftp.de:8080/login.html
Press Login
Directory BIOS
Directory X570
Look only at bios 7C37_1xx, In this case 7C37_151.zip

I only think that your boost does not work in Windows because of Dragon Center (and/or Ryzen Master)....so please remove that one or reset the settings of those programs (within Dragon Center you can also untick the option for starting up Dragon Center at start-up of windows.)
Wow.  Thanks for this info.

I'm not sure about installing a beta BIOS.  I'm going to have to think about that.

I have downloaded Dragon Center and ran it in the past multiple times, but I disabled the startup function of this program and it was only used to monitor the temps and hardware of my system.  Until my original post on this topic, I never tried the performance option or anything so any past tinkering should not be causing my problem since I never did any.  Again, Dragon Center is not running unless I start it up so that shouldn't be a problem.

I flat out forgot Ryzen Master existed.  I never even downloaded it until you mentioned it.  I installed it last night, entered the creator mode, and applied the precision auto boost profile.  The system started to behave like I experienced when I first built it; system more or less ramped up to 4.2 Ghz and basically stayed there although it would occasionally drop a bit here and there.  The settings didn't stick though and I am back to where I started before; stuck at 3.8 Ghz with no boosting.

I'm going to research this stuff and play around in the BIOS.  There has got to be a way to make this happen.  It's aggravating though cause I thought boost worked out of the box and nothing had to be done.  System just determined what speed it could run at based on temperature levels and voltage.  That's what it seemed to do when my system was first built.  Now multiple BIOS updates and such later, it isn't.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

Marked as best answer by smithchrism on 07-October-19, 17:10:26

renzov

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #19 on: 30-September-19, 16:41:18 »

Wow. Thanks for this info. I'm not sure about installing a beta BIOS. I'm going to have to think about that. I have downloaded Dragon Center and ran it in the past multiple times, but I disabled the startup function of this program and it was only used to monitor the temps and hardware of my system. Until my original post on this topic, I never tried the performance option or anything so any past tinkering should not be causing my problem since I never did any. Again, Dragon Center is not running unless I start it up so that shouldn't be a problem. I flat out forgot Ryzen Master existed. I never even downloaded it until you mentioned it. I installed it last night, entered the creator mode, and applied the precision auto boost profile. The system started to behave like I experienced when I first built it; system more or less ramped up to 4.2 Ghz and basically stayed there although it would occasionally drop a bit here and there. The settings didn't stick though and I am back to where I started before; stuck at 3.8 Ghz with no boosting. I'm going to research this stuff and play around in the BIOS. There has got to be a way to make this happen. It's aggravating though cause I thought boost worked out of the box and nothing had to be done. System just determined what speed it could run at based on temperature levels and voltage. That's what it seemed to do when my system was first built. Now multiple BIOS updates and such later, it isn't. Thanks for the suggestions.

Today I had the same issue as you.....my cores where all stuck on 3800MHz.
This was as I played around with Ryzen Master and BIOS at the same time.
The trick was to open Ryzen Master, press the reset button and apply.......now all was working fine again....

popdedih

• SERGEANT
« Reply #20 on: 30-September-19, 18:54:54 »

The trick was to open Ryzen Master, press the reset button and apply.......now all was working fine again....

This trick is working. My cpu didnt stuck at stock speed anymore.Thanks.

renzov

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #21 on: 30-September-19, 23:50:51 »

This trick is working. My cpu didnt stuck at stock speed anymore.Thanks.

Actually it did only work untill i restarted my pc then all was again 3800MHz.........what ever I do I cannot get it back to normal behavior.......
I will keep investigating......

renzov

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #22 on: 01-October-19, 00:09:39 »

Actually it did only work untill i restarted my pc then all was again 3800MHz.........what ever I do I cannot get it back to normal behavior....... I will keep investigating......

Got it.....reset Ryzen Master and after reset BIOS to load defaults.........and all was boosting as normal again.

EnterpriseNL

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #23 on: 01-October-19, 09:26:51 »

I have the same board, but only with a 3700x, boosting is working properly now after ABBA, however, Dragon center is messing up clocks and will set your CPU to a fixed frequency(base clock) uninstall it and never touch it again

Also for Monitoring and such, Use HWinfo64 and Ryzen master.

renzov

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #24 on: 01-October-19, 09:42:23 »

I have the same board, but only with a 3700x, boosting is working properly now after ABBA, however, Dragon center is messing up clocks and will set your CPU to a fixed frequency(base clock) uninstall it and never touch it again Also for Monitoring and such, Use HWinfo64 and Ryzen master.

As stated i'm fine again and solved my issues.
I do use the following programs:
- Ryzen Master, to monitor and sometimes play around with manual OC.
- HWInfo64, keep track (read monitoring) on cores, voltages, temps, etc.
- Dragon Center, mainly for software updates, Mystic Light and sometimes a bit of monitoring.....but not for OC at all as I already had bad experiences with this.
Not sure if the owner of this thread (smithchrism) was able to solve his issues now by all the info we provided......

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #25 on: 02-October-19, 12:12:52 »

I have the same board, but only with a 3700x, boosting is working properly now after ABBA, however, Dragon center is messing up clocks and will set your CPU to a fixed frequency(base clock) uninstall it and never touch it again

Also for Monitoring and such, Use HWinfo64 and Ryzen master.
I really don't need Dragon Center.  I have HWInfo64 and use it.  Ryzen is downloaded and installed as well.  Between the two, I'm good on utilities.  No reason to keep Dragon Center so I'll uninstall it.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #26 on: 02-October-19, 12:22:40 »

As stated i'm fine again and solved my issues.
I do use the following programs:
- Ryzen Master, to monitor and sometimes play around with manual OC.
- HWInfo64, keep track (read monitoring) on cores, voltages, temps, etc.
- Dragon Center, mainly for software updates, Mystic Light and sometimes a bit of monitoring.....but not for OC at all as I already had bad experiences with this.
Not sure if the owner of this thread (smithchrism) was able to solve his issues now by all the info we provided......
I am still looking at it but haven't had as much time as I would've liked.  I've got another thing or two to try.  

I'll report back my results as soon as I can.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

lachlanj

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #27 on: 02-October-19, 17:04:17 »

I'm running a 3600 in a X570 gaming pro carbon and have Dragon Centre set to run on startup. The CPU will not boost correctly until I put the system to sleep and wake it. 
I will have to uninstall Dragon Centre and see if it helps.

popdedih

• SERGEANT
« Reply #28 on: 02-October-19, 23:07:13 »

No need to uninstall Dragon Center. Just disable it power plan by click the current power plan to grey color. Example if the current power is balance, just click balance again.

smithchrismTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #29 on: 07-October-19, 08:08:58 »

Thanks for everyone's help!  My system is boosting again as it should or at least as I expected it too.

I think the quote above is what fixed my issue, or at least lead to the resolution.   

When I started, I had Dragon Center and Ryzen Master installed.  I had used Dragon Center at least once to set the CPU to extreme performance to verify the CPU would overclock which it did.  

Some time later, I posted this post and saw the above quote.  I used Ryzen Master and hit the RESET button in it.  This appeared to work.  I rebooted the system and boost went away again.  This time, I uninstalled Dragon Center, rebooted, hit RESET in Ryzen Master again which resulted in system Boosting again, then shutdown the system and unplugged the power cable for 5-10 minutes.

When I booted up, the system was still boosting fine and is still boosting after multiple reboots.

There is a bit of an oddness to the BIOS I can't quite get used to.  Hopefully this stuff becomes more solid as time and BIOS updates go by.

Thanks again everyone!
Chris Smith
Chris Smith

My System Build:

•  SATA DVD

alexstlouis

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #30 on: 02-January-20, 09:20:32 »

Hi, I was looking for this, as I couldn't get my Ryzen master settings to stick either, and ended up enabling PBO in the BIOS because PB2 was not working. I can see that this is likely due to Dragon Center.

My question is, do you use RBG? If so, are you still able to set your components RBG behaviour now? I only needed Dragon Center for Mystic light control, and I don't want to go back to the default rainbow schemes if I can avoid it.

jamie.marsala

• SERGEANT
« Reply #31 on: 02-January-20, 09:36:10 »

Hi, I was looking for this, as I couldn't get my Ryzen master settings to stick either, and ended up enabling PBO in the BIOS because PB2 was not working. I can see that this is likely due to Dragon Center.

My question is, do you use RBG? If so, are you still able to set your components RBG behaviour now? I only needed Dragon Center for Mystic light control, and I don't want to go back to the default rainbow schemes if I can avoid it.

I only use Dragon Center for Mystic Light as well.  As long as you do not try to change the clock, overclocking settings, in Dragon Center than you will be fine.  Just don't click the stupid Profile Buttons. And if you do to play around you need to click Balanced twice to reset it back to default where it will boost normally. 

As for the original poster, the 3900X will run around 4.2Ghz normally on all cores and boost a single core to around 4.6Ghz.  I have only ever got a single core to hit 4.55Ghz as far as any test has reported.  I have seen 4.65Ghz on a core or two in HWInfo64 though.  But that is for one core, not all of them.  I have clocked all cores to 4.4Ghz stable but that runs the chip very warm and was not really needed for what I do with the PC.  My Ram is at 3800Mhz with the fabric at 1900Mhz 1:1, 3600 memory.  I have the X570 Gaming Plus.
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
 AMD Ryzen 3900x
EVGA CLC 280 AIO
 32GB Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 3600 @3800
 MSI Geforce RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC BV

wildthing15

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #32 on: 13-January-20, 16:16:41 »

This might be a late response to this topic, but I'm not gonna lie. I'm so happy I found it, while googling for the exact same problem OP had.
While reading through this I learned a few things:
- Dragon Center scenarios = bad (+ how to disable the currently selected one, which uses windows default power plans instead of the AMD ones)
- Ryzen master Tool = good. The reset button is my personal MvP
- and last but not least: don't trust the frequencies which are shown in the taskmanager. They're just wrong, for some reason
Having enabled the Ryzen High Performance power plan, it's showing 4,xx Ghz. ALL. THE. TIME. Which lead me confused prior to installing dragon center.
Even CPU-Z, which I thought I can trust, shows the wrong frequency :shocked:

So I'm just gonna say thanks to everyone who posted in here, helping resolve the problem. Hopefully many more confused souls will find this topic, enabling them to access the CPU performance they paid for.

jamie.marsala

• SERGEANT
« Reply #33 on: 17-January-20, 12:16:56 »

Dragon Center sucks for OC settings.  What happens is if you click Performance then you get the Game Boost overclock.  If you press Balanced you get the regular clock and no boosting, so for a 3900X it is locked at 3.8Ghz and no boost.  You have to click it twice and then reboot and that sets it back to what it should be at.  Which for a 3900X is roughly 4.2Ghz all core when idle.  With a boost to 4.6Ghz on a single core only if the circumstances are right.  Only one core at a time will ever hit the max clock or close to it.  As more cores are needed then of course the max clock gets lower.  If you run something like Cinebench R20 you can test multi core and single core performance.  You also will rarely hit the Max 4.6 value with the BIOS at default settings, you need to change the CPU power settings to use the Motherboard settings and not the CPU power settings so it allows more Amps to flow to the processor to achieve the higher speeds. 
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
 AMD Ryzen 3900x
EVGA CLC 280 AIO
 32GB Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 3600 @3800
 MSI Geforce RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC BV
Pages: [1]   Go Up