Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z170A Gaming M7 BIOS Update - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe  (Read 92 times)

ZincTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi, I'm currently looking to install a samsung 970 NVMe M.2 into my Z170A motherboard. I've looked through the manual, and it looks like it'll support NVMe, which is good. However, I bought the board back in early 2016, and the BIOS seems to have been heavily updated since then to improve NVMe compatibility. I have never updated my BIOS before because I have never had the need to, but I'm nervous that not updating it for this new drive could lead to issues installing it. After doing a bunch of digging, I have found multiple ways to update my BIOS (M-FLASH, Forum Tool, MSI Live Update) and many posts on why each one should be avoided. I've seen people in the same thread say you should "only flash if your system is broken" and that you should "always flash when you update". Most of these posts are also pretty dated, which makes it hard to make a decision since software changes over time. Is there, in 2019, a safe and standard way to update my BIOS? Hell, do I even need to worry about updating it for this drive?

Sorry about the super basic questions, I just can't seem to find a solid answer after hours of scouring forums and MSI manuals. Would you believe I have a bachelors in computer engineering? :rolleyes_anim:

Thanks!

montyac

• MAJOR
Re: Z170A Gaming M7 BIOS Update - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe
« Reply #1 on: 09-October-19, 13:58:42 »

I would suggest not flashing a BIOS for now. Install the NVMe drive and see if it works in the board. Is this a brand new unused SSD?

ZincTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 09-October-19, 18:41:50 »

Is this a brand new unused SSD?

It will be, I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I order it. The BIOS version I have installed currently is 1.A0, which isn't even shown on the support page. Some of the updates, like 1.D for example, call out Samsung NVMe improvements specifically, so it just has me sort of nervous.

Chike

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
« Reply #3 on: 09-October-19, 18:54:17 »

Don't be nervous, wait for the drive and see if any updates needed.
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K R2.0 BIOS ver. 0903 2/26/2016
CPU: i5-4670k
Cooler: CNPS10x Performa
Memory: F3-2400C11D-16GXM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 FTW ACX 2.0
SSD: 1. Samsung PM981 512GB, 2.  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0
PSU: Antec 500W VP500PC
OS: Windows 10 Home 1903 64-bit / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Case: Compucase 6C60

ZincTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 09-October-19, 20:03:35 »

Alrighty, I went ahead and ordered it, I'll keep the thread posted on how it works! Thanks for the recommendations! ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up